Skip to main content

Deadpool & MCU stuff

 The MCU hasn't been the same since Endgame. It has had a few decent TV shows, and let's be honest, Guardians 3 was terrific. Spidey and Doc Strange were alright, and also, a ton of crap has come out. Moving forward is looking iffy, even with a fantastic movie out and hopefully one on the way. Here are my mini highlights, and of course, there are spoilers, so be warned.

So, let's talk about RDJ coming back to the MCU. It reeks of desperation. The most popular actor of the first 10 years has to come back to revamp the entire franchise. Have things really gotten that bad?? Is Cap coming back if Brave New World bombs? I will give it a shot; RDJ is a great actor. I know he can pull the roll-off, but there had better be one hell of a well-written plot to get there. I am making an assumption he is a clone? A variant? If they say he looks strikingly close to Tony and wears a suit of armor, I might lose it. Let's assume Dr. Doom will be a big bad and not wasted as a one-shot. He is a massive villain in the comics, and with RDJ playing him, I assume he will be around for a few movies. Maybe even a Loki, who just keeps popping up. With Avengers 6 being called Doomsday now, not Kang Dynasty (I don't think we are supposed to talk about that), I'm sure we'll see a lot more of RDJ. So, I guess he is gonna hold the MCU up again. He can pull off the role; it seems dumb, considering that so many great actors could have done it. Putting big-name stars like Pedro and RDJ in F4 makes it seem like they are going for star power, which isn't what made the MCU great. In general, RDJ was originally a risk. Evans and Hemsworth were, at best, B actors before the MCU; slowly, they have been looking more at star power, and slowly, quality has gone downhill. At least that is my take and having RDJ come back really, really feels desperate. 


Quick note on, F4 First Steps, I am excited, and I am not. I liked the original F4 2005 but did not like 2015. Third time is a charm?? The MCU has done an excellent job with its central characters, and F4 will be a big deal! Everyone knows the MCU has been slipping and needs a boost so a lot is going into this besides star power. They didn't really do an origin story for Spidey, and I thought they might not for F4, but being called First Steps & having to explain why Doom is Tony, I am guessing we are getting origins. Something that keeps popping up in my mind is MAYBE, just MAYBE, this isn't in the "sacred" timeline. They may jump to 616, and Doom isn't Tony or a variant, just a really close-looking guy... Maybe F4 and X will never even actually be in the 616 timeline. 616 is full of Avengers, so perhaps they aren't going to clog it with more stories and keep some Marvel properties separate. It is funny that this announcement made me apprehensive about the F4 movie I thought I would like...


I have to talk about Captain America: Brave New World. When I saw that MCU was making CPT America the First Avenger, I admit that I thought it was lame! Cap is so boring the MCU is shitting its bed here. I was wrong; the movie blew my mind. Cap was right in Civil War; his films were the best overall, and he lifted Mjolnir! There are many MCU movies with 2 or 3 movies in the series, and Cap is by far the best overall. Iron Man was incredible, 2 was alright, 3 was meh at best. They all had good points, but they were not all great. Thor has 4 movies and only a single decent one. Guardians are close; they have a couple of great films and one bomb. Cap is the only consistently excellent series. They can pull it off, I worry Red Hulk will make it too cheesy, and they should stick to a plot like The Winter Solider. Also, the Serpent Society.... we are really scrapping bottom here. But I am putting all my doubts aside; they have done fantastic work with Cap, so I am hoping they can keep it up...


Again, there is no X-Men news at Comiccon. The more I think about it, the more they might keep the F4 and Xmen apart from 616 or have them rarely in multiverse crisis's crossover. That would be fine; they could keep it that way and still build a fantastic Xverse. Marvel has always been that way. I just wanted to say how freaking good Xmen97 has been. It is a bullshit lie you don't need to see the original. I heard it said it would be fine without watching the original, and technically, it is, BUT it makes it way better if you had watched it. This wasn't made at all for kids. It is aimed at people who watched it in the 90s. The jokes are dark, and the overall themes are dark. It is amazing! The artwork is cheesy, but I guess that is on purpose. I was annoyed that the Inferno story took all of 10 minutes. While they are telling some great stories, they are rushing it, and I wish they would slow it down and plan on longer seasons, but I am guessing this is all just to get people pumped for the live-action MCU. Just hope they only tell some of the good stories before we see live-action!


So, wrap this all up with my review of Deadpool! Right now, here is a spoiler warning again! The internet has likely spoiled most of it if you haven't seen it. I am glad we saw it opening weekend cause by Monday, Facebook and Twitter already spoiled it. Anyway, 8.5/10 is the best MCU movie since Endgame. Not that it should count as an MCU movie. So, let's start with cameo central. Loved them all! Elektra, Blade, Gambit, X23, and Human Torch are the main ones, but if you are a nerd, I am sure you saw a bunch more... Torch was fantastic; don't lie. You thought it was Cap!!! The Wolvie variants were also great. Literally, a week before, I said quit fan-casting Henry Cavill for everyone, and of course, he shows up as a Wolvie. To be fair, he looked good, lol. Cassandra Nova was wasted. If she doesn't show up again in the Xverse whenever the MCU gets on that, I mean. She is a great villain, and I hope that wasn't the case. I REALLY hoped for a Sinister cameo, Apocalypse, or even a mention, but we didn't get that. Blake makes a great Ladypool... I do want to point something out. Ultimately, ONLY X23 is hanging out with Deadpool and their friends. I am calling it right now. They joked that Hugh would get milked to hold the Xverse until he was 90 (Like RDJ, I guess). I don't think so. I am saying 2 movies tops, and they hand it off to X23. Like the comics, she is going to be The Wolverine. She is young enough that the MCU will be handed to her, Spidey, Ms Marvel.... Just calling it now. All the future of MCU if it lasts another 15 years. Don't get me wrong, Hugh has a couple more movies. Guessing Secret Wars and possibly the first mutant-based movie.  Revisit this in 2050 when they finally make X-Men movies and see. Gambit was awful... No, he wasn't, and Channing 15 years ago might have been a great Gambit. Just his dialogue was horrible. Also, the costume is too accurate in real life. It is pretty awful looking, lol. I really like Taylor Kitsch as Gambit, but I think that has passed. My casting right now for the PERFECT Gambit would be Timothee Chalamet. Get on it, MCU! Blade made me laugh with his; there will never be another Blade line. Elektra was a shock, to be honest. I will buy it when it comes out and hope it is still funny. I laughed my ass off, but the issue with Deadpool, like Ted, is you watch it once and laugh a lot. The second time, laugh; the third, maybe chuckle, and after that, you need to not watch it for a decade to laugh again. I sadly am guessing this one will be the same. It actually hits you in the feels. I could feel myself getting choked up a couple times. The action is all good and I think everyone will love the fights between Deadpool and Wolverine. Honestly, I wish the "Hulk" fight or Sabretooth had been better. Overall, it is a great movie. So glad we saw it. Now let me do my bitching. I am not sure why they made it to the MCU. Other than making a Marvel Jesus joke, this wasn't an MCU movie. I hate the TVA, and I thought that shit was done with the Loki series, but maybe I need to rewatch it. Marvel said this was the entrance of mutants to the MCU, but really, in the end, they are all on some other timeline. Earth 10005?? Not 616. So 10005 has a version of the Avengers and the X-Men, but it is not 616, and in the end, they aren't in 616? Sorry going way off track here into Nerdville. I'm just not really understanding how this is mutants in the MCU. The whole thing gets messy and adds nothing to the MCU, so I'm not sure why they did it. That's my biggest beef with it, this multiverse shit gets way out of hand. We did see the Marvels cross over into a mutant universe. Was that this one?? Or just unrelated as well. ALSO in closing, I didn't hate the New Mutants movie. I loved the casting. I loved the Essex corp. I loved that the sequels would have the Hellfire Club (Which has never been done well) and Inferno, one of my all-time favorites. I know it didn't make enough $ $ $ and the House of Mouse shelved them, but if you are building for the future, this is the way to go...

Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo