Skip to main content

30 Day writing Challenge. #6 Someone who fascinates me

This is a tough one. I mean I am saying it can be living or dead, from anytime period it is just broad as shit. So I had to think about it, cause a million people interest me. From Jesus to Hitler and a million in between. So I figured keep it relevant to me. It should be someone in the modern era. Someone from a middle class background. Average in almost all ways. Not a pop icon (Cause Johnny Depp you woulda won) or some one who doesn't live in the same world. I hate to say it, as much as Eminem fascinates me I doubt he still has the same middle class day to day problems. So you know what the problem becomes? There is no average Joe people really know. The only ones are bad guys. Serial Killers are typically average Joes. The only time you hear of an average person is when they do bad shit. So then I remember a bad man who did bad shit but was also the most average dude. Roy DeMeo.

If you don't know Roy was a mobster in the Gambino Crime Family back in the day. The reason anyone knows him is because of the so called "Murder Machine" It is suspected Roy and his crew were responsible for up to 300 murders in new York in the 70s. Even crazier is the fact most of his victims will never be found. They loved to chop the bodies up to get rid of them. While anyone with a TV likely knows the Gotti name what most dont know is even the Teflon Don was scared of Roy. And of course like most bad men he came to a bad end in the truck of a car.

Might as well start with the bad. I am obsessed with bad guys. Not maybe evil people, but bad people who don't really respect or live by the law. So I found out about the mafia and it blew my mind. Or at least the old school mob did. The men who actually had a code of silence and honour. Ya Ya I know that is long gone but back in the day when people did look out for each other and were loyal to the "Family" I do see that as being a good thing. Honour and Loyalty have become tattoos on roid monkeys, not practised anymore.  Anyways looking into that led me to Roy. And yes it is gruesome. Sadly that lures people in, I am not different. (Look at all the shows today. From Criminal Minds to Making of a murderer.) Bad people draw us in. To me how can you calm as day be involved in  murders. I would love to ask WTF man?? How do you go from being a middle class guy to chopping people up? It wasn't like a Dahmer were compulsion led you to do it you just said hey I wanna chop you up?? On top of that I would love to say, What is the mob really like?? I mean you hear all about it from informants. Keep in mind these men are rats. I do agree there is nothing worse than a rat! If you choose a life of crime good on ya. (Yes I hope you get caught, I am not supporting criminals) But that is a choice you made. Likely to get rich quick. Now you have to live with that. To me it shows a person willing to say or do anything for gain. A rat. So I don't take there statements very seriously. Roy on the other hand died without yapping so he may be honest. What is life like when your not a 9 - 5 guy. Having a job that can keep you busy 24 hours a day. And I would ask what is like to be part of a crew. Not these ass hats in bars looking saying shit like come at me bro but guy who will actually fuck you up!

But enough about the bad. Roy's son decided to write a book. This I think was likely a money grab BUT it did share a different view into a very bad man. According to his son he was the best father one could want. It would be great to know what goes through his wives mind. She had to know what he was. Maybe not the extend of what he was doing but what he was capable of. How could she sleep at night knowing that? What did friends and neighbours think? Was he a decent man like his son claims with a well hidden monster or did people see through him? And it is a fact after having to murder his most loyal friend he went nuts. It led to his downfall. What were those last years like?

To me there has to be many sides to a man who can be a great family man. And a ruthless blood thirsty gangster at the same time. How do you hide the monster???

Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo