Skip to main content

30 day writing challenge #11 My current relationship

My current relationship, well here we go. I guess I should start by saying I am engaged. Have been for only a few months now. We have been together for roughly 5 ish years now. It has been interesting, has had its ups and its downs. Here I guess is how we got here....

I was the captain of a co-ed hockey team. Also on that team was my girlfriend of 9 years. One season we really needed females so we asked another woman on the team if she could bring a friend or two. She brought a shy female defense woman. She played a couple seasons with us. During that time my personal life changed. We broke up. I moved in with a mutual friend and life carried on. I had a strong love affair with a few whiskeys bottles for a bit, but I was encouraged to ask the new girl out. Eventually I did. Our first date I brought her back to the house and of course my friends were phoning my ex. And her mother called her later that night worried as to were she was since dinner doesn't usually go from 6 till whenever. It was fun. It went on for oh a month or two. Then her family objected. I was too old (7 Year difference) and was gonna want to start pumping out babies soon. BOY do they not know me. 9 years with someone and no kids I don't think after 2 months I am gonna want them.... Anyways it was over, she couldn't see me. So me and whiskey bottles reignited our love affair.

I am persistent. I spent my summer in a certain lounge and around campfires. On top of that I sent a lot of texts! We had a few meals but no real "dates" for months. Then I think it was Halloween when she cracked. In a cute little Red Riding Hood costume she came and picked me and some friends up from a bowling alley. And she stayed the night. After that she kinda became a fixture with me. It was a great time, my roommates had moved out, the one who owned the house had just me living there, so we could play house on weekends. This went on for 6 months. But of course things change.

The woman who owned the house I was living in is one of my oldest and best friends. She was living in LA and going to school. In June she asked me to come down and drive back with her. Well my lady wasn't overly fond of the idea of me spending a week away with another woman but it happened. Our life style changed of course over that summer. The truth was my lady wasn't really aware how much I like to be around people and sometimes carry on. She became aware I can drink when I put my mind to it. We started to have our first few little fights no big deal. Also we went on our first trip to Victoria. It was a great time and after summer things returned to the way they had been. Or mostly, I got another roommate but he rented the basement and I barely saw him.

This probably went on for a year / year and a half. We went to Mexico for a friends wedding, that was our second trip. While the wedding was great, it wasn't the best trip ever. At home I got to be really good friends with the man in the basement and slowly the rental house filled up again. Four of us living there really changed the dynamic. So in my early 30s after being together for 2 years we got a house.

That's kinda were we are now. It has been over 2 years in this house. We got a dog, he is a little shit head but he is also my little buddy! We went to Disney, I love that place. So much we are going back again. I did pop the question and ya that's were we are now.

I will be honest, it isn't always smooth sailing, we are opposites in many ways. I enjoy new things, taking risks, adventures. She likes her known "safe" things. To me I love noise, crowds, people and "carrying on". (I think that is the phrase old people use) She is a quiet one. But it works, we are both different and better people. To be honest she has made me slightly more responsible. And I would say I have made her try new things. She is a good person, kind and carrying and I love her.




Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo