Skip to main content

Wedding Day

I can hear the opening to 8 mile this AM. Except I don't think I looked calm and ready. Woke up early on the day of my wedding. So did my bride, ya we slept in the same room together the night before which lots of people were saying we shouldn't have! I dunno why, I mean we have been sleeping in same bed for 5 years now and weekends for years before that. Anyways I showered early and said my good bye next time I was gonna see her she would be walking down the aisle.

My friends all told me not to eat breakfast alone that morning. So I wasn't going to, but it was too early for me to bug people yet so I wandered the resort. I won't lie and say I had some deep thoughts. I looked at the ocean, people watched and waited until I thought the Frenchman and family would be up for eating. I ate with them and basically for the next few hours became a cling on. We saw Biggs and his girlfriend at breakfast, since it would be just Frenchman and I getting ready that AM we figured to invite Biggs over to, for the "photos". That was a mix up, my brother came over already in the clothes for the wedding. So there was no getting ready pics with him, I just asked the photographer to snap a couple since I made him get all done up hours before the wedding. Then the Frenchman spent the AM trying to get me to drink. You want the short version? I promised my wife I would not drink before the ceremony. I stuck to it even though he tried dirty tricks! Like getting his daughter, to bring me a small bottle of vodka all cute like! The fact was it was a long morning. From like 10 until 1:30 we sat in that room, just bs'ing. That part was good actually, got to spend time with some friends. Then came time to meet everyone, so we headed to the snack bar which was the meeting point

So now everyone is showing up. And of course I must look edgey as a few people offer to go get me a drink. KT she just went and got me one, I had a sip or two and called it good but I stuck to my guns and said no. Made me laugh, I was told good for holding strong to a promise but people wouldn't rat me out if I failed. But I didn't and we were led down to the beach. It was done up nice, windy as all hell but very pretty. The "minister" was a hit with the Frenchman cause he said his name right first try. He then asked what kind of ceremony we wanted religious or not. That was a big no. A few basic questions and we were good to go. Actually the minister was a hit with everyone, so laid back and nice. My other thinks he will be in Adam Sandlers next movie, he was a character! The mariachi had arrived and we were told the bridal party was coming.

The bridesmaids came first. You already met BM1 last blog entry, then the brides cousin BM2, who is also mother to one of the flower girls and the Jr. Bridesmaid. Of course the Maid of Honor which we will call MOH from now on... Then the flowers girls came, with the junior bridesmaid. The Frenchmans daughter and my brides little cousin. They made everyone laugh, I guess we didn't explain it right because they didn't throw the petals, they tried to keep them in the buckets from the wind. Tossed a whole bunch at the end after we re-explained what to do. Then came my bride. Long story short, she had bought this dress almost 3 years ago. When she started looking they discontinued the first two she liked so after being upset I told her just buy this one (I hadn't seen it) if she liked it before it happened again. She had also been there with her grandma who passed, so it meant a lot to her. She had worried for years it wouldn't look good. That I wouldn't like it and stuff like that. Fact is I am not stupid even if I hated it I would never told her but damn did she look nice! After years of worry it was out there and looked great.



On a side note we both did a little something special. For her, in her flowers there were two tiny pictures of her grandmothers. I have a pendant, with my grandmas ashes. I don't wear it often but I wore it that whole day.

So I said half my vows. I was unaware how terrible a public speaker I am. Twice in the last 2 months I have done some public speaking and bombed it. The wind didn't help. I mean I thought I had good words written but the paper kept blowing and I lost my place over and over and said fuck it. When she said hers I held part of the paper so she might not have the same problem. I guess a few friends cried a few times during them. They are harder to write than I ever thought they would be. I wanted to be funny, honest and romantic. Maybe some day I will post them, in a complete form. Then we signed our papers and were "married" yet again. But this one actually says not a legal document, like monopoly money, which makes me laugh. Next was the hugs and pics with the mariachi band. A very loose receiving line. We did photos with our families and some with friends and bridal party, then off to do a crap ton all afternoon. BM1 and MOH came with us and helped from like 2:30 to 5:30 which was very nice of them. Since this was a lot of work.

We wandered the resort looking for places to take pics. It was hot! At one point by some trees a family of coati came out to sniff the girls flowers. There had to be at least 20 of them. It was pretty cool. Then we ran into Diablo walking. I yelled what are you doing?? What he didn't realize or couldn't see was a group of people had taken up watching our photo shoot. So he screams HOMO SEX! at us, right as he comes around the corner and see the group. He was clearly embarrassed because he began apologizing profusely. We won't know for a few more weeks but I am sure she got some amazing pics. But yes it was work! I am again thankful the ladies came and helped us. My bride looked exhausted, but she put a great face on. It amused the photographer quite a bit that one second she looked bagged then the next smiles and good to go for pictures. In fact it was the photographer that made us stop at one point for a break and water. The wedding was to meet at the snack bar again at 6:30 and carts took us all to our dinner.

So the day went off pretty good. I mean I heard that there was some drama with miss placed rings and missing flowers but it all worked out!

The trains took us to the Mexican dinner, where we had a tent outside. Truth, this part I was a bit iffy. But again they out did themselves. They made a tent look great. Had the tables set up and waiting, with a DJ booth, lights strung across the roof to give it a nice glow and drinks also prepoured and waiting. They do things a bit different down there, meaning there is a sweetheart table not a head table. So it was just the bride and me at one table by ourselves for dinner. Not with the whole wedding party. Dinner was great. Or at least in my mind it was. Lime soup to start and flank steak as a meal. I didn’t really ask anyone else but I hope they liked it. Plus we had three milk cake, which I thought was yummy! Speeches we didn’t do, we had a thank you speech and that was it. Sweet and simple! Our first dance was Darius Rucker, it went pretty smooth. I mean we had dance lessons to try and get ready for it. Even had spins and a dip at the end. There was a father daughter dance and I got a dance with my mom. It was great, she even cried and said she was proud and loved me. So for me that was pretty special. The wife's dad did the same, I guess he cried twice that day. Of course you don't know him but this is a big thing for that guy.  We did stick with the garter and flower toss. My brother got neither but I made sure to tease him about that. I was worried even with the DJ such a small venue might not have people dancing. I was wrong! Everyone was up dancing most of the night. Diablo helped that, leading everyone with footloose and the Cha Cha slide. Oh and doing the splits 6 times for the photographer. That was awesome! My mom even ended up doing a tequila bang bang. Also I will always remember Mandy chasing my mother inlaw to get her to do shots. I dunno I think most people look back fondly on their wedding night but for me it will always be a fond memory of a great night.

SO our night ended 1030 ish. They send a cart to take you to your room. Champagne and chocolates and rose petals are all put out to make it romantic. It was really nice actually. Now I hear the after party was alright to. Two groups got lost, half of them went to the disco and half ended up at the 24 hour snack bar.  Either way there was a few hangovers, but it didn’t hear any out of control stories… Sounds like some people met new people and a good time was had by all.

This is a long enough entry, so that's a wrap.





Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo