Skip to main content

Mexico Days 8&9

So our last day altogether began same as always. A shower and a trip to the buffet. I have to be honest and say this was the only day we didn't leave tip money in the room. We were always putting $2 in the bar and $3 American on the bed. This day we didn't, how do people feel on that? Like what do you do? Anyways that is what I wonder, I am still not 100% sure on the correct tipping scales in Mexico. We headed to the buffet and ate but we were to early. We had a "FINAL" for real appointment to get our pics. They photo places wasn't open still for over an hour, so you guessed it.... We killed time by going to the hacienda one last time. The fact was it REALLY was just to kill time. I don't think we even looked at anything, just an aimless wander. Then we went back and got our photos. They gave us a drive with all of them and a picture book. It is actually very well done. I have to say my doubts were gone, it might be wrong but I didn't think a resort photographer service would be good. Turns out they were excellent. I would recommend anyone use them, except they cost way too much if you want them for a whole wedding day. Then it was back to the room. Finish packing and triple check. Usually I am not paranoid about leaving things but for a wedding we brought a lot of stuff. Some of lots of $$$ and some lots of sentimental value, so yes it was a triple check. Then we called and had a buggy come to take us and all our bags to the front. The next hour was just good byes. Hugs and all the stuff people do at the end of a get together. Almost everyone slowly filtered to the front doors to wait for their bus to the airport. We needed to call a cab to move to our new resort. We waited until everyone had come and said good bye then we called a cab......

So I will be honest, I didn't like the cab ride. Okay, what I did like was before you even hop in they tell you the cost so no surprises or fights at the end. What I didn't like is just hopping in and going when the driver seemed confused as to where we were headed. It was a long ride, almost to Cancun but when I saw the sign and he turned to the resort I was much better. He got a decent tip for not kidnapping us!

Let me be frank here. Grand Bahia is a very nice hotel. Excellence is insane! First off it is an adults only, so there is no kids running around. (Which honestly to me is strange. Within a day I was saying it is crazy to not hear families) After you check in you head down a staircase to a martini bar that they want you to always dress up to sit at.


They wheeled our luggage to our room and the bell boy explained the various pools and activities they have everyday. Now the room was insane. First it has a separate rainshower or a two person jet tub that is kind of in the middle. The king sized bed is super comfy. Fresh fruit and champagne were out. Oh and you get 26s not airplane minis in the bar. There is a desk and a couch. Outside we have another 2 person tub. (Who really would use that? My only thoughts exhibitionists. Even then I dunno cause the wind blows crap into all the time) A sun bed and another table that are all private and all ours. With our own access to the pool. I think this was a bit overwhelming for my wife. She said she didn't feel like we belonged there. We started reading the "rules" now there is no buffet. All meals are al le carte. Except breakfast. However at breakfast women are not to be in tank tops. So that is kind of intimidating. However they do free 24 hour room service if you don't want to get dressed up. I said fuck it, let's look around. This actually made me feel better. I looked around at the people and most were in shorts and tees. Wearing ball caps nothing to crazy. The stores however were super nice. A jewelry store. An actual smoke shop. A free version of Starbucks. We talked to an American couple they really made me feel better. I dunno if it is the southern drawl or what but they made me feel way less intimidated. We were looking at a pair of birds. One was chirping loudly at the other, then bit the other. The wife said oh that is the female for sure. It had a calming affect on me lol. We walked to the spa and booked a couples massage. My wife had wanted one and to be honest I figured I would like one to. Even though I am not fond of people touching me. We were booked in for the next AM. Honestly that was it. We went back to the room. Had a couple glasses of wine, she had the champagne. That stuff inst really my style and stayed in. Ordered room service and had a very good pasta! This is the classy part. Every room has a cubby hole, you put dirty dishes in it and magic! They vanish! So you don't see dishes sitting outside rooms if you are walking around, it is always tidy. We spent the evening watching the old cop channel I already blogged about.




So the next morning we dressed and went down for breakfast. Now the wife had brought tee shirts but they were tank tops or dressy shirts. She was worried the dress code wouldn't let her in. They didn't have an issue, in fact all the ladies pretty well, were in tank style shirts. I dunno maybe they meant spaghetti straps or something. Either way breakfast was fine. I will only say it once more but that was something Bahia does much better. The buffet was much better at Bahia and I still think like Bahia they should have a buffet all day. But that's just my opinion. Maybe it is policy at Excellence but we left our tips out again for the cleaners and they did not take them. Also we started something we did everyday, that was just walk. Bahia is so massive we would easily get 10,000 steps just looking for people or walking around. Here we did a walk everyday after breakfast just talking and walking. If I didn't work and Canada was as warm as Mexico I might do that everyday at home to.

We went to the travel desk to see what excursions we could do and yes sadly to make a note when we would have to be packed to go home. We picked out Ek Balam ruins. It was a full day, half in a Cenote and half exploring the ruins. We booked it for the next day and I was pumped. I have always wanted to see ruins.

Then came the massage and it was amazing. There is a whole pre-massage therapy to. That was insane as well. First you shower, then they put you in a steam room that has burning sage for 8 minutes. You come out and get lathered in this honey, sugar and some other stuff solution that you wash off. Next is the water massage. First a flat stream is supposed to do your neck and shoulders while you stand in a pool. It felt good on shoulders, kinda hurt neck. Then one pounds your lower back. It actually is nice but pulls bottoms down. Then you get moved onto a plate that jets water up. Supposed to massage your legs. I don’t think it does anything. Then there are jets from the wall into the stomach. I think these work BUT you have to hold on or they will blow you away. Next is fake acupressure. They make you walk on rocks and say it is acupressure. Pretty sure that’s not how it works, kinda supposed to hit certain points not just jagged rocks but oh well. Then you dip in a FREEZING cold pool. I got up to my nipples…. They want you to dunk your head, but no dice. Then into a sauna for 10 minutes. The last thing is back into a bed in the pool and lay on a sort of underwater lawnchair bed, were the whole body gets a massage. Then you lay on a bed in the sun. Get a nice head and neck massage before the big show. After all that you strip down and put on a robe. They offer paper underwear but nah this guy goes nude!! SO the massage was awesome. Honestly by the end I was puddy. I love massages I think, the relaxing ones. Not the deep tissue that kill you though!

We went for our first a le carte lunch at the Italian place. It was alright, the pasta the night before was maybe better but I think it came from the same place. Nice though you just sit on a patio and enjoy the afternoon sun. I am frustrated with myself a bit. I meant to write down the Cab Sav they served there because I enjoyed it and of course didn't. After that we walked around a bit, I got a Hemingway Mojito. I like a good mojito, this one was good but too potent.  I don't know what makes it Hemingway per say but if he liked to drink I am sure these would be one he liked. A small disclaimer Cuba still has the best mojitos. Maybe it affected my brain and I wanted to be all writer-y but that was when I finally sat down and did writing for the first time on the trip. So here was the issue, the last week had been a whirlwind. Every two minutes I had to open the patio and holler in "hey is this when we did this?!" And try to remember everything. So I am sorry for any inaccuracies about the first week! Should be right but who knows.

I ordered room service again for supper. The neat thing at Excellence is they have a theme night every few days. This night was Bollywood. They had a big East Indian buffet in the main court yard but we didn't go to that. We did come out for the shows after wards though. It was a fire and light show, it was actually pretty neat. The fire more than the light, I mean yes they both take talent but flipping flames around like that and not being burnt in the heat is pretty wild.


Anyways I think this entry got a bit longer than I planned & I am sure the next few days with that trip in it will be long to so I am going to end right here!

Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo