Skip to main content

Chris Kyle The American Sniper / Mike Moore Bowling For Columbine

So I am a few weeks behind on this, I mean most of the hype has blown over but I want to put my 2 cents in too! I mean this whole thing started over a movie. And a loudmouth running at the mouth. But really this is how he made his name so what do we expect?

First off, I haven't even seen American Sniper. I really want to, it looks good. Mr. Eastwood, you're the man. Always have been always will be. I admit I was late jumping on the bandwagon. Until Unforgiven I thought meh, some old cowboy. But since you started directing wow. Based on those facts and Brad Cooper being in it, I would have to say it is gonna be awesome! I have heard it called a recruitment film. Maybe it is, or maybe Mr. Eastwood is just a proud American and there really isn't anything wrong with that. So how can 1 movie get a shit storm flying on all forms of media. Stupid people.... That's the cause of this shit storm and most shit storms. First off it is BASED on a book. And the main character is the author. If I was the main character in a book I wrote I would be a super powered rock star. So lets assume Mr. Kyle used plenty of hyperbole in the book. I mean so far it has been proven some of it just didn't happen. Al la Jesse Ventura.

Anyways lets look at Chris Kyle. Is he some sort of hero, no not really. No more than any solider who puts thier life on the line day in and day out. These guys are all heroes or should be. Firemen, cops, EMT, all these people who live their lives for others. So ya I guess in that aspect he is a hero. He did defend his comrades in dangerous times and places. However, that's what makes him a hero. The fact he was a really good shot and killed a bunch of people that's not really heroic. Its a job and he was good at it. I haven't read it but I hear he liked to refer to people as savages. That also don't sound heroic or even like a very nice person. On the other hand most of us have never been put in the situations he was in, so maybe living every day for so long in danger people change. Seems like he did some charity work, so that's kinda nice. If nothing else I guess he sounds like a very complex person. His legacy I guess can be summed up in many lives protected and many others taken. Really I guess it is like this. If you value all human lives then he is both a hero and a killer depending on what flag you fly.... I do plan one day to get into right and wrong vs good and evil but not today. That's a whole other can of worms.

Next you have Mr. Moore. Years ago when bowling for Columbine came out, I thought damn this guy knows whats going on. Then I took journalism, also I started to look at things not like an angry high school kid and my thoughts really changed. But before I criticize I give Moore props. He does make compelling films and writes decent books. I won't say honest but the man could sell ice cubes to Eskimos. Also I would say he is a very bright guy, he does know his shit OR at least is smart enough to look into things before he starts debates. Again, like Chris Kyle, he does charity work or so I hear and that's nice enough. BUT his real gift is he is a master manipulator. As clever as Jax Teller??? His 15 minutes should have been over years ago but with a well timed jab BOOM he is back.

My big thing with Bowling is Mike blames guns and peoples access for the tragedy. And so much is blown out of proportion. Maybe not outright lies, but bordering on them. Like the free rifle for a bank account. That was what a production snafu? But that's been beaten to death so lets do an experiment. Go grab a 9MM, or better grab an AK-47. Set it down on our table. Don't touch it. Seriously don't just look at it. Use Jedi mind tricks. Try and will it to hurt someone. Is it still just sitting there? Has it done anything? So no? Thats what I thought. First off, guns don't kill people. People make the choice to commit murder. I think MAYBE the focus should have been why these kids felt the need to do this. If every gun in the world vanished tomorrow I am pretty sure we would still have murders. I will NOT say guns aren't part of the problem but why are these shooting a "modern" problem and why do they seem to happen in the "West". My biggest problem I guess is blaming guns is a cope out. The real problem is much deeper.

Second issue, it is pretty white kids. Does it come off wrong if I say I don't think the main place to be concerned about gun violence is in white middle class America. Is gang violence not a big thing anymore? Did I miss some truce? Yes gun crime is extremely high in America, I am willing to bet though there are areas which it is much higher and prevalent. Did this not matter? OR was jumping to condemn guns a cash grab for 15 minutes of fame? Also had this happened not in white middle America would a movie been made???

My last big beef is the pussy move with Mr. Heston. Really did you feel big and bad hassling an old man? I wonder if he was wearing depends at the time. He was a figure head and an actor. First off actors need to keep politics out of their lives. Just saying Leo... If you wanna prove something Mike don't accost a man with dementia. Why not go hassle a rapper, they are always glamorizing guns?? OR Ted Nugent? RIGHT lack of balls. Fighting a cripple is really hard.

Anyways the long and short of it is. American Sniper is a movie. Loosely based on how someone viewed there life. While Chris was a brave man there is for sure two sides to him, maybe we shouldn't place him on a pedestal. And while Mikey, he raises good points he isn't some hero either.

Oh parting shot! Get it sniper humor! Mr. Moore never should have opened his mouth about snipers. First off your not a warrior, really what the fuck do you know? Nope there is no bravery in sniping. But now in war there isn't a ton of bravery. We send in robots for the kill. AND ya it really sucks that your granddad died but does it matter that a sniper did it? Umm a bomb, a normal gun shot, the death camps, dead is dead. Until you have had the stones to fight don't criticize people risking life and limb.

Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo