Skip to main content

Canadian Politics and some rants

This might be a mixed bag or it might just be politics, a look at Canada and Alberta and where we went wrong. I guess it depends on how long the politics take. Either way heads up, this won't have fun little nuggets like which games I am playing or some good issues to read......

Democracy or at least the art of democratic politics is dead and funnily enough it was killed by the parliamentary democracy government system. We still get to cast our votes, that is true but it has become whoever gets elected is more accountable to their party than to the population they are supposed to represent. There is a party whip now, someone who makes sure the MP or MLA tows the line for the party. People don't run on what is best for their riding but for the parties ideals. I keep saying the party with a very specific point. It is usually in authoritarian countries we have a "party" Glory to the Party! Now today I do not have a tinfoil hat on, I know we are still a free nation but when you sit back and look at it, it is scary that a party winning a majority in our system really is unchecked for 4 years. The fact is it shouldn't be that way. If a party wins, they should be held in check by the MPs or MLAs, they should be doing what is best for their riding, for the people that voted them in. Not just answering to the party..... I only use this as a modern example, because at least for this part of the blog I am neutral. All parties are a mess, in my view at least. Look at Jody Wilson Raybold. She did not do what the leader and party want and surprise she was kicked out! So our representatives really aren't representing us. Also the first past the post system is garbage. A riding is won by the most votes for a single candidate. Stating that sounds great, right the most votes wins. However that isn't true, you can win with very little support as long as you have the most votes. Say there was 4 parties and 1000 voters. (Keep math simple) Example the winner has 310 votes. The next 3 all have 230 votes. The fact is the winner only represents 31% of that riding but they win. That means 69% of voters are not being represented. A prime example is the popular vote. Last federal election 2021 the Liberals got 5.5 million votes the Cons 5.7 million votes but the Liberals made up the government because of this issue. The same thing happened in 2019. This isn't a very common thing but it does happen. So the fact that the majority can be ignored in a democracy is very bad. For example the other way in 1979 and 1962 the Liberals had more of the vote but lost out to the Cons. So right from the core, in the system there are issues that need dealt with. Other democracies around the world have seen that and changed voting systems, I believe we have had parties here saying they want to do the same but we have yet to see it. I may be wrong but I believe both Harper and Trudeau had said that until they came into power. First we need to fix how elections results form government and second (much less likely) lose the party system. I know this won't happen but that would be as close as we could get to actual democracy.

So the whole system could use an overhaul to be closer to a truly democratic society but what about the parties? I don't mean the actual parties, but the use of parties. Each party has a whip, just think of the connotations of the word. You whip things into shape, whips were commonly used on slaves or criminals and you need one for your party? Your free democratic party?? The whole point of democracy is a free vote for what you believe in but at a party level the members are made to fall in line, even if they don't agree with what the party is doing? Right there the idea of a whip is undemocratic. Parties will force or "recommend" members vote in party line to show solidarity, also they will ask the members to do what it takes to keep the party in power. JWR is a very recent and excellent example of this. Of course her writing is critical of Justin Trudeau. He did her dirty..... However her book is very fair and is critical of the whole party system. Parties promise the sun and the moon, until they get that power. Then it is all about keeping that power and less about doing what is best for the nation or the province. If I voted someone in I want them to be looking out for my interests as a voter first and foremost. Not the needs of  the party, if it doesn't align with what is best for me. Simple fact, the member that does what's right gets my vote next election as well. JWR is a great example of that as well, winning her seat again without party behind her. I understand that there are good things that come from the party system. It keeps order. They can give backing to a "little guy" to run for office who without support probably never could. In smaller municipal elections, sure you don't need parties. People can raise their own funds and they represent a much smaller riding. When you are covering millions of people and millions of miles of land, there does need to be some unity or nothing would ever get done. The thing is the parties should be a loose representation of your ideas. So that the voters know how you "lean". That party however should come second to  your actual ideals. IF a MLA / MP does not agree with their party, not only should they vote against things. They should be encouraged to! Again I have a typical way I vote. However I know they aren't always right. The party can go to far, or not far enough. They are fallible just like any group and it should be encouraged to be called out on that. The only way to improve things is by having multiple voices and bullshit called out. Currently the party system does not allow this to happen, so on top of the overall system being anti democratic even how the system is divided up is anti democratic. 

Alberta is in the middle of an election campaign. This is the perfect last example of how broken the system is. How it is more about getting power and being loyal to a party than to actual governing. All I have seen is attack ads. Again both sides, I am being neutral in this part of the blog. The NDP and the UCP both are just doing nothing but accusing each other whatever they can. Taking snippets of interviews out of context. Other than random slogans and promises, I have no idea what they actually want. The NDP will keep our healthcare and schools running publicly and fund them! According to the NDP the UCP is going to privatize everything and make us lil USA. The NDP will run everything into the ground and last chance they had in power, we had 97 tax increases according to the UCP. Campaigns are usually just slogans with a few vague promises, you pick which promises you want most and vote for that. However that is even falling to the back and attack, attack, attack seems to be all they do. I just saw a TV ad of people claiming the last NDP government broke them and Alberta felt like it was in a depression. It didn't tell me anything that the UCP planned to do though other than not be the NDP. Also the NDPs biggest promise is not to be the UCP. I am losing focus here but the point is at federal and provincial levels we see more time attacking the other parties than actually laying out what the goals are. Trying more to prove the other guy is bad & you don't want to vote for them, so vote for us! The problem is further to the party loyalty and attack ads we live in an echo chamber. I am not getting into that in this writing too much but go on your socials. You likely will see your friends and family which follow similar voting patterns. If you see opposition views, Ill bet the algorithm shows you the exact opposite. Hardcore opposite, the most stupid statements that will get your blood boiling and drive you further away from trying to find a good medium that works for everyone best. Social media which started as a great uniter and fun for everyone (Remember when you first joined Facebook) now it is the great divider. 

Anyways I am moving on from that, trying to write more clear and concise. Taking a writing course that has taught me I am not really a great writer. I mean I think okay, but it doesn't translate as well on paper! So I will keep broken democracy with that and if I do have more thought out thoughts it will be another blog. I do think I want to talk about the social media echo chamber.

People are just garbage....I dunno if you have been watching the Kings and Oil play (This part is old, they are both gone now...) but a shitty side story developed. So there is this girl Cecily Eklund an Oil fan who has raised close to $100,000 for cancer research. She has been battling brain cancer at 9 years old. Hopefully most people never have to do that and not when they should be enjoying childhood. Anyways she gets gifted a trip to LA for game 3 for all her hard work. Honestly that's pretty sweet. So while there she gets harassed, even spit on in the ladies room for wearing an Oiler jersey. Seriously WTF is wrong with you dumb cunts. If your doing this you aint a hockey, you aint even a decent human. I have blogged about the values hockey teaches people, these clowns didn't clearly learn that. I get it, I wear my Wings jersey when they play the Oil and I get to go to the game. For the most part get a few comments in fun. Once there was a stupid drunk being a dick but literally other Oil fans told him to STFU. Who would think spitting on a little girl because of a jersey is acceptable? I think this is a time when it would have been okay to "smack a bitch" as LA rapper like to say. On the bright side Kings and Oil fans rallied around the girl and more donations have come in. Many Kings fans, appalled have apologized for the actions of a few and said those people aren't Kings fans. I was LA when they won their first cup. It was a good time, the fans were great. I mean I wasn't in an opposing jersey that night but I don't think that is the majority of fans. Anyways just hearing that made me so mad. People like that aren't hockey fans, they aren't sports fans they are simply trash. If you can, click this link and drop a few bucks

stolleryci.crowdchange.ca/27588/page/63823


Edmonton is so easy to piss off. SO on the news they say the food bank is looking for more culturally appropriate foods. Flat out this annoys the shit out of me. When I shop I go get what I need, I look for sales EVERY WEEK and often times stuff can wait until it is on sale. Ya I do get myself some treats, IMO I earned them, I make a bit more so I can spend a bit more. That goes way back for years. Often would go buy good meat IF I got bonus if not well it was pork chops and chicken cause they were cheaper, not steaks and fish. I donate a lot to a lot of charities thru out the year plus give away bottles and fill those food bags when people come by for food drives. What I am saying is I do little things that I can to hopefully make the world a little bit better of a place but you get what I give. To ME if you are hungry it sure as fuck don't matter what it is you will eat it. I posted this on an Edmonton thread and people lose their minds. Oh your dick and blah blah blah. One post made me smile, if you can't eat food cause it isn't culturally sensitive thats a huge first world problem. People did comment that maybe some people new to Canada wouldn't know how to prepare something. That is a fair point, but I am guessing most of the stuff going into food banks a person can figure out. Maybe the food bank as a charity should be helping with that as well. Cooking pasta and warming up sauce is not hard. Most of the food bank stuff is pre prepared & these people might be new to Canada but they are by no means dumb and you can't tell me that people using the food bank who have lived in Canada their entire lives dont know how to prepare things. So admittedly I was in a bit of a pissy mood and wanted to see the bee hive that is Edmonton get angry so I posted I would keep donating but not changing what I give. So to wrap that up. If someone giving you food isn't giving you the right food you have a first world problem nothing else.  

I just saw the dumbest shit on twitter (I mean I say this daily but....) So this pretentious ass posts (I summarize) Alberta doesn't belong to Take back Alberta but to teachers, doctors, students. Then some guys responds, no it belong to ranchers, pipe liners, rig hands. Okay let me correct you both. Alberta, probably the best province in the greatest country on the planet belongs to all those people. I dont like left leaning politics, that often comes with arrogance IMO but sure as fuck I know we need teachers, doctors, students looking to make the future a better world. I also hate "hillbillies" (I am not getting into the difference between rednecks and hillbillies but there is one btw) that make our province look like hicks. We also sure as fuck need ranchers, rig hands, trades people. We need ALL of it to keep things going and this province sure as fuck doesn't belong to a single group. That attitude is the legit reason we are so fucked up right now and don't have a decent choice in the next election. Both parties work so hard at dividing the people it is sick. MOST people bring something of value to this province. Maybe it isn't something you value BUT the truth of the fucking matter is a doctor needs a clean hospital, so that hospital needs it janitor. The doctor at one point needed a teacher, whoever is on the table getting fixed well they needed a doctor. Lets say its a rig hand who had an accident. Like it is all intertwined, we in this province are lucky enough to have a ton of various industries. It has helped us stay strong for generations. YES the energy industry is a big one but everything plays together, we seem to have lost that knowledge over the last few years.

I am not even going to look back on my old spring blogs but for real goals this years...... Get to the golf course and get a fishing pole in the lake! Every year I say I am going to buy new clubs and I never do, maybe I can upgrade one or two though. Also I am not even sure how old my rod is so might be time for a new one and some tackle.  As I am writing this there is still a bit of snow in the yard BUT I am sure with the temps in the teens this week it will be all gone soon. (LOL this clearly is old) Then soon it will be time to turn the ground over and TRY yet again to grow a garden that produces more than just carrots!! FUCK ME I want peas but they refuse to grow!!! Might try a couple potatoes in a bucket, nothing beats fresh garden potatoes. Of course the flowers will need to go in and the raking and the aerating. I got a new BBQ this winter and a smoker that need used! We have a nice firepit and this, this! is the summer to actually enjoy the summer! Ya I am doing both Spring and Summer school so that will take up some time BUT maybe can do that studying outside!

Okay so we are in election mode and I did just rant about the whole system.... It isn't changing before the vote so I guess I will just leave my comments on what we have. First we deserve another option. We have the UCP and the NDP. Both trash options. I have for all of my life voted Con. The UCP was the first time I didn't. I didn't think I liked Kenney and now with Smith WOW. I also didn't vote NDP, they need to realize that there is more to the province than Edmonton and Calgary. So with 2 shitty options what does a person do?? I wanted the Alberta party to do well, they seem like mild Cons but they gain no traction. Maybe Ill run as one of them next election lol, ya right my wife and social media wouldn't let me! Anyway what do we do? The NDP is obsessed with health care and education & that is not a bad thing but that is all they care about. Sure they will toss a bone now and then but overall it is clear they are very pro city and pro union. To me there is more than that in Alberta. Also ya I love the promises they give, but in reality you have to pay for these promises some how. Smiling pictures of Joe Ceci while our provinces credit was downgraded make me so angry!! Or the NDP saying Cons will privatize healthcare. Well they didn't. They privatized cafeterias in hospitals and now we have health care workers mad they can't buy lunch... Boo fucking whooo. Pack a lunch like a lot of other workers. I will support you if it is over worked, under funded but a lunch time issue nah get bent. The UCP oh boy.... If you go back to my first posts here,8 years ago I didn't trust Danni. I still don't, anyone who crosses the floor for power is not a good leader. They are power hungry. Look at that clown Tommy Lukaszuk... He lost a leadership bid as a Con, then was voted out as a MLA and now is door knocking for the NDP. Floor crossers are rats. Besides that she is knee jerk Danni. She says some crazy ass shit. NOW to be fair some of it I have thought in a moment but then sat back and realized knee jerk reactions aren't always good. Sure flat out some of what she says that pisses off the left is valid. I like she doesn't mess around with woke none sense. Sometimes we have to live in reality which people seem to want to do less and less. The issue is Danni is pandering to or maybe actually does believe too far right.  So again wtf do we do? We don't really have great choices..... I have no idea right now who to vote for and honestly I feel a lot of Alberta is in the same boat unless they have drank one of the parties Kool Aid too much




Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo