Skip to main content

Pop Culture April

 I have like 5 blogs started so I am finishing them up and I guess / hope in the last / next few weeks there will have been a lot put out by me! This is all pop culture and full I know a few of my last ones have all been anger and politics. So lets just chill!!

First I am amazed by how even ball hockey has been in our div. after they divided into 2 divs it has been good. Like extremely even. As of this writing we are 6-3-2 and everyone is with 4 points of each other. Has been an interesting. One of our games we forgot to get a goalie a team playing afterwards that watched the game were impressed we could keep it so close. Also getting 7 goals for us that game was pretty damn good. Of course we lost 11-7 but it got desperate, they just kept dumping by the end hoping to hit the empty net. I currently am (Probably not after writing this, will jinx myself.) having my best season since 2011. I was 30 then, be 42 this year...  Think we could probably win our div this season, but I say that so often we seem to be the leafs.... I still will never understand being a goon in mens league. We are all at least 20s a lot of guys older. No one is making the NHL & we all have work the next day so why in fuck go so hard. We played a team, its was pretty dirty and rough. Our next game I knew would be the same but they imploded. I have never seen so many dumb penalties and they got blown out. Lesson here don't go so frickin hard over ballhockey in your 30 / 40s.....

Where my greezy Grande Prairie peeps at? I am guessing of the 200 people who may read this none end up being from GP in the 90s. I ask this because back in the day there was a bar called Snappers "Snaps" If social media existed back then I can only imagine the pics that would be floating around. I remember walking into the bathroom watching a guy piss on his leg and puke in the urinal. That wasn't even shocking, just kind of a normal day at Snaps. Fightin, puking, hard drinkin and the best burger shack in the world. It was a greezy good time. Now it is a Sawmill restaurant. I was there a few days ago and took some clients out there. Puking in the urinal and all I could picture was the dirty ass old bathroom not the fancy place it had become. Also what really made me feel old was the people I was with didn't even remember Snaps. The night before we I had been out and we were talking about greezy bars and I remembered Triples or "trips" (God we had clever names) Trips made Snaps look nice.... That customer didn't even remember a bar existing where trips had been. I felt both old and sad at the same time.... Anyways if you were there back in the day, well good job surviving. I am pretty sure your indestructible now. 

What up with the Hip? I have no music to talk about so lets rant on the Hip and recent controversy of the CPC using Hip music. So the remaining Tragically Hip members (And probably Gord if he was still around) don't want the Cons. using their music. That's fine, I get that. More and more musicians are making stands. However.... If I am understanding this once they found out they were getting paid, they dropped the issue? So then the issue wasn't who was using the music but whether they got paid? That's bunk, if I am understanding it correct. That I don't think Gord would have been cool with. Hell even Neil Young at least said he was going to take away Rockin in the free world (Please no Neil! I start every day off with that banger!) when he tried to make a stand. If your making a stand and it ends with $$ your not making a stand. While I am on the Hip, what up with everyone loving them? Don't get me wrong, I like them. I have went to their shows a couple times and they were alright. No Motley Crue or Metallica but alright. The truth is again IMO they haven't done anything amazing since the mid 90s. ACDC, Nickelback, Red Hot Chili Peppers, they all keep making the same album and so did the hip. Hate to say it, but its true... I like the fact they were 100% Canadian. I remember Chad Kroeger at a festival saying "Hey lets go have a beer after the show like good ole Alberta boys" to the crowd and it felt forced. Like Snoop wearing the hockey jersey of whatever city he is in. With Gord and Co you never felt that, they were Canadian through and through. I like the charity work Gord was known for and I am sure the other members are good guys as well. (Well maybe not if it is all about the $) I am just saying I don't know why people love them so much. Why it seems like a sin to be Canadian and not love the Hip. They were good but there are a lot of good acts out there. Since 2000 I would probably take KO or Swollen Members over the Hip out of Canada

Don't have much for gaming. My wife bought a PS5. Its pretty awesome and I haven't even really used it yet. Should set up all the apps and try it. The next game I buy I will buy for it. It did come with God Of War Rangnarok. I have started that, just want to finish Novigrad on my 100th playthrough of Witcher 3 then concentrate in GoW. I can say wow I am missing a lot. The last time I had a PS and played GoW it was the very first one, now we have a kid and are hanging with Vikings?? Ya I missed something. Also I do appreciate how they don't say easy or hard for setting. Do you want lots of story? Or do you want lots of fighting. Yes please tell me a story where I don't get my ass kicked over and over again. So yes thank you for not making me admit I need it on easy. Started a new Be a Pro on NHL. EA needs to get this game better. Be a pro is fun for a single season, your rookie season because you don't dominate but after a year even on hardest its pretty damn easy to win every award. Also no matter how good your doing the coach will say, you need to improve and kick you back a line. Like ya 20 goals in 5 games, I really need to step it up..... Franchise mode has no mid ground. Medium you go 75 - 7 and it is boring to win so much, bump it up 1 notch and you go 7 - 75. Can we have just a challenging level not too easy but not lose every game??

The world is Chaos. I wasn't going to get to deep in this blog and I promise I won't, just a lot has been going on in my life these days. So I have been sitting back and thinking about the world. I concluded the world is chaos. No rhyme or reason to it. Good things happen to bad people, bad things happen to good people. People can prep for anything and still get hit by a curve ball and somehow, sometimes it seems like people who put in zero effort seem to do well. Its cause they roll with the chaos. Some of these "bad" people that we see do well, they have come to terms with the fact they can't control things but they are willing to do whatever they can to have as much control as they can. These good people we see get fucked over time and time again. (You have someone in your life like that, think about it I bet you know someone) They think balance will come, that doing good will bring them good. Sometimes randomly it might but overall the universe is chaos and it doesn't bring them good. They aren't willing to do "bad" things and the universe keeps fucking them. I have heard it said anyone with money screwed someone over. I am not believing that anymore, I am thinking the people who get ahead are willing to risk the chaos or try and master the chaos when a lot of us won't. Anyways I didn't wanna get all deep and I never did believe in fate but more and more I starting to believe in almost antifate. NOTHING happens for a reason, in fact it is the opposite.... I actually have spent a long time thinking on this now. I am starting another blog, just on this but that's a few weeks away. Need to finish the others first!

Pedro Pascal is television. So far this year I have watched 3 ongoing shows and Pedro starred in 2. First The Last of Us was amazing. This is how video game shows should be done. I liked the Witcher but this was better. (Pedro should have been Geralt, every show about a badass protecting a magic child should be Pedro) There was no "slow" episodes. Yes there were episodes that were not action packed but every episode was so good. I did not find myself playing on my phone. I have never played the games so that is nice, no spoilers. It was also so cool to see Alberta highlighted like that. We were in Canmore when they where shooting there so seeing the finished product was awesome. Can't wait for season 2. Mando is back! This is my fav stars wars. I hear people complaining that it is changing the lore. Man fuck that, its actually making people care about the lore again. Though I feel like I need to finish Clone Wars and maybe Rebels to understand it all. Only 3 episodes out as of this writing probably more before I publish but all have been great and I love how they have grown the scope beyond just Mando. So yes Pedro is TV. I almost want to rewatch his GoT season. I loved him as the Red Viper but don't think I can watch that death again, but maybe check out the hype about Narcos. The other ongoing show I watched was Mayfair Witches. I read all the Vampire Chronicles until they went off the deep end but never did read Mayfair, so it was nice to not have spoilers. Creating the Immortal Universe was smart by AMC. If well done they could be a hit. Even with the changes Interview was great! Mayfair was alright. For the most part I think the casting was great, the sets and costumes all great. Just the overall story seemed very slow. I dont know if that was the telling or the actual book is slow. It was still good but did not get its hooks into me as deep. I still want to see the second season and I am pumped to watch the "universe" grow just saying I wasn't as hooked as I thought I would be. Also the teenage girl in me loves Supernatural. I started it and got hooked, I think I am on season 4 watching a couple episodes a night. Yes it was written for teen girls or at least teens in general but I am digging it. The first season so far was the best, explored more "supernatural" things. These newest seasons are more about battling demons and I personally liked the variety but I dig it! Something like this on HBO would be amazing, also damn that is a young Jeffery Dean Morgan!! Also hard to believe that is Solider boy, I guess you can hear it in his voice, would love to see Jensen in more.... 

I have nothing for comics really. My next blog is all comics. I can say Sins of Sinister hasn't been as good as I hoped. Its good BUT I feel like many "alternate" universes it won't really impact the real time line. On an X23 kick, should go thru my old long boxes and make sure I still have her first appearance in good shape. I might even have bought 2 copies, thought she might end up being a big character. I miss Hellions and good Marauders.... All Bat titles still awesome. Deadly Duo is so good, such dark writing and Mr. J's humor loving it. Actual Joker title is meh, like it will have a great issue, story moves some. Then 2 or 3 issues that really aren't great and the "Bonus" stories at the end of them are just fucking terrible. AWA has been killing it as per normal. Really digging Trojan and I am thinking Black Tape will be great. TMNT last Ronin lost years, awesome!! I hope we see a few lost years stories. The Last Ronin one of my fav comics of all time....... It's so strange to have grown up on the happy cartoon TMNT and now read these day issues.

My wife found me a really cool Xmas present. A couple books by A.P Beswick. He is a self published author I guess. Let me be honest. I am jealous. His books while maybe not out in the main stream are in peoples hands and they are reading them. That's what I have always wanted. The editing is not the best, if I am being honest. Even I pick up a few errors BUT the story is good. I enjoy it. I did not catch it was Arthurian until he was super blunt about it. I mean Morgana of course is but that could just be a good evil witch name. It makes me wonder, could I self publish? Would people even read or enjoy it??? Either way kudos for this guy trying!!  

I got nothing for movies really. I mean I watched Black Panther 2, it was decent. It wasn't as good as the first and even the first I think did get over hyped. Not 100% sure I love changing Namors story however I will say I think they nailed the overall personality of Namor. I do want to see Guardians 3. Please don't kill Rocket, the MCU has slowly gone downhill so don't kill one of the best...... I will see Antman, I feel this clearly will be a big part of the overall picture but maybe it is superhero hangover I am just not chomping at the bit to see it. We used to see all Marvel movies in the first couple weeks, can't honestly remember the last time I felt like that & when I look at things coming out or that have come out in the last year nothing really makes me excited. Scream looks good, that is a franchise that has always done well. One of my all time fav horror scenes was in the last one. All hope looks gone then Sam sees her dad Billy (My fav Ghostface) and fucks shit up. Don't mess with a serial killers offspring. So I mean I kinda wanna see that, but that's about all I am looking forward too. Oh and maybe the new Indy. That one has potential BUT can go either way......


Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo