Skip to main content

2008/2009

So up to speed it is about spring 08. I have moved 10 times in the last 8 years. Quit college twice and am living with TCM and our two cats just off Whyte ave. I was starting to get bored with my job again. I am not really good at being a person who can sit and read the same reports each day. Then order the same shit. When I had moved into the purchasing department I had thought it would be much more. Like actually meeting vendors, picking out what to buy. Not just buying the same shit over and over. But other than that things were good. Now I should start out with some side things that had gone on. I want to say most of this kinda seemed to happen over the following spring & summer. If it isn't bang on in order I can't help it!

First Bud. I think I mentioned him way back when I first moved moved here. He was friends with Black, they went to High School together. I honestly can't remember why we started hanging out. Likely cause he was the most normal of the people Black introduced me to. He was getting his masters? in science? 7 years with books I could never understand but I know his major was math. So we were starting to spend more time with him and his girlfriend Lish. At this point he was still in school. But we would go skiing in Jasper, they came out to my parents lake lot and shit like that. Oh I think I forgot to mention that. At some point my parents got a lake lot at Slave Lake. Keep a boat and the fifth wheel out there. It was a fun place to be on either May Long or Canada day depending on the year they would do a big lobster dinner from the East coast. Early summer was always best to go, fish were biting the best then.....

CJ after out first meeting I wasn't a fan. Slowly after a few I didn't think she was all that bad. By that I mean I could tolerate her. Plus her old man was back from a tour of duty and they were getting married. Or so we thought. I won't get into that, its not my story to tell but it never happened. And the House of Wayward Women was born. Think I mentioned that but that is what we started calling KTs place. She moved CJ in since she had no place to go.

Next we moved Amazing in with SJ. Her and the boyfriend broke up also. SJ was funny one. Like for instance, the first time we brought her to the cabin at least two guys were single and into her. Then the next morning not all done up she was barely recognizable. They both stopped looking, yes Ditch was one of them. She was the first one who introduced us to Pho soup. I mean before every street corner had a Pho shop on it. Gotta thank her for that. Without sounding to High School I do think Ditch wanted to "Hook up" with her and not just in bed but she seemed to be a dude. By that I mean she was playing the field, total role reversal.

Our last place had been sold out from underneath us, well same shit happened. Sort of, our landlord lets us know that his son would be attending U of A and he would need the condo. Yet again we packed up and moved. This time just off 107ave and about 112st. So this puts me at 11 moves in 9 years. Wanna know how tired I was of moving?

So I am not sure if I ever explained Sporty really. She too was from St. Albert but younger a couple years than the rest. Maybe just finished high school when or still in when I first met them all years ago at KTs dads house. She had a boyfriend at the time. Then one or two more until she got her first girlfriend. Then she had another boyfriend, then back to women. It was somewhere in here when a classy drunken Cook told her she was a hot TV lesbian not like most lesbos are. I admit it I laughed but I don't think she was too pleased. Then for a bit she was with the Dutchman. That was fairly serious. They bought furniture together to move in together but that fell apart somehow. Then she met Kitty. Kitty is a nice quiet woman, until we got her drinking one night. Then she was chatty, but still nice. She told me the day after that she was never drinking drinks I poured again. They ended up getting a nice little condo downtown.

But we did book a bit of time off and headed on a road trip. Just TCM and I. Drove down to Burnaby, I had to look for the Joe Sakic way sign. Never did find it, not sure if it exists. Took a fairy up to Nanimo stayed there for a night. No offense to Nanimo but to me it just seems a bit like my home town, a dirty city. The we drove down the island stopping in a few little town, buying some fresh salmon and ending up at Bibgy and Dreads house. Stayed there a few nights, it was a good time. KT flew down to. I have always said I could live in Vic. I think this was now about the 4th time we had gone. Maybe I have said it but while in Vic one should always see.... The Castle, The museum, Fan Tan Alley, Garricks Head Pub, Irish Times, Rogers Chocolates and so on..... Shit how could I forget the harbor at night. Go for a walk! Fun trip but the 14 hour straight drive home sucked.

Now it was right around here I believe KT went to Europe. I still was a bit iffy on CJ. But one night we stopped by after work cause she was having people over. They all struck me as a strange group, we didn't really know anyone. And they were stupid, I can't remember but they were doing a few things I doubted KT would like in her house. But the one pouring oil on the counter for some reason was the last straw. I started telling them to stop and get the fuck out. BUT I didn't live there and couldn't. Basically I got told to leave. TCM said let it go, all you can do is tell KT when she is back and with that we left.Of course I told KT I didn't really like her roommate but KT said she was okay, so I left it at that. The fact was once KT was back she seemed to mellow out and there was no more incidents like that. Now SJ and Amazing where having a no good time living together. AT first it was going good but I guess SJ kinda turned out to be strange. Anyone remember Eddie from Friends??? I kinda picture her like that. The day we moved Amazing out and into KTs house she didn't even come out of her bedroom to say hi. Which was good I guess cause I think she was fucking her boyfriend a the time. We were all convinced he was still in highschhool....... Now KTs house really has become the home for wayward women.

Then something really fucky happened. Remember Booty Call from way back a few entries ago? Ya one night I am sitting at my desk writing when MSN messenger goes off. Does anyone remember that old system? Anyways.... It says her name, I open it and it was HI!!! SO I responded hi and while I wrote we chatted for a bit. At first it was nothing, just friendly shit but then it took that turn to being kinda flirty and maybe over a line. I started talking more about TCM so she might get the hint but she didn't,  SO I said hey gotta run, and left. About a week later, same shit. This time I was straight forward, said listen we can chat about life but I have someone and anymore of this I will have to delete you. She totally quit talking to me for a few weeks, problem solved right? Wrong, then one night another message about her kids?!? A fun fact she forget to mention she had. Shows me a pic and mother fucker they are about that age. It had been maybe 6ish years since we were together and her oldest kid coulda been six. Get where I am going here??? That whole anxiety I though I was over crashed back on me. After that she has to run, so I am left thinking WTF?!?  I like to think I am semi well adjusted in this world but I will admit if I have a hang up it might be the whole father issue. Who is mine, what the fuck is he like? Now this chick has given me the fear I might have done the same to another kid. And she avoided me for a few days. Believe me, I was messaging her! Then when she does come back on she is all coy about it. Avoiding the topic. If I wanted to talk I could meet her for a beer and talk about it. I said no and shut the computer down. Two can play at that game. A few days later I logged on again. This time she flat out tells the truth. Shows me a couple pics of her ex, who clearly is the dad to both her sons. That was what I needed. I deleted the whole account and thought that fixed that. It did for about 4 years, trust me she will be back.

Another shitty thing happened. The Dutchman and Chad broke up. I dunno if I explained them properly yet. See Chad had burned his bridges all over in our industry and hadn't worked much recently. I would say him and the Dutchman were / are best friends. They had been living together for a couple? years with random others living with them along the way. But they had there fill I guess of each other and Dutchman got his own place. So one night Chad called and said swing by, we headed over and he was half cut on those tiny airplane bottles. The next day he was hopping a bus back to Ontario. He said go through whatever you want cause I ain't taking any of this shit, just leaving it all in the condo. It sucked to see a buddy so down. We bought a real bottle of rum and TCM and I had our last few drinks with him. I think in the end I took a couple books gave him a hug and went home. Sure as shit the next day he left on a few day long greyhound trip home. It was hard to see the 8 time sunshine boy of the month look like that.

So we started playing in the ESSC somewhere in here. For those of you who don't know that s a co-ed fun league. We were playing hockey. I did a blog on it awhile back if you want to go read. Our original team as I remember was me, TCM, Sporty, Ditch, Cook, Bud, Lish, Amazing, CJ, Frenchman, Tall Kid (Dunno if I introduced him yet. He worked in our warehouse) and our receptionist. It became like the main thing we did. We "practiced" out back of our shop which mostly was drinking beer and shooting on a net, then we would go to KTs place for BBQ suppers since both CJ and Amazing were living there by this point. We actually thought since we practiced we might be too good and get put in the higher division lol. We sucked we went 0 - 9 I think, to be fair some people were only there for the friends, meaning they showed up and played drunk. That part kinda sucked when you wanna win, but the fact was it was fun, not the losing so much as the good times with friends. We were first the Cobras, the name has changed a few times. The team is still in ESSC but not a single original player is still on it. A few of us sub now and then though. This team will pop up a few times, it has led to a few big events but ya that's how it started just some late 20s kids wanting to do something with friends. I am going to cap it with this though. This to me was the height, this was the time when most of these people still hung out together. I mean yes most of us still do but some have moved on in good terms and some in bad. Some have started little families of there own and we never see them some well you will see but just to me this was when my friends were all closest.

It was fall 2008 when Cook, his new lady, TCM and I went down to Calgary to see Metallica. The first night we stayed in Airdrie with my uncle and his I think fiance at this point, not sure what she was then. And my first actual cousin, she was pretty young, like learning to walk young. Th next day we hit the Calgary Zoo, a first for me and soooooo much better than the Edmonton shit show. Metallica was terrible! Since then I have seen them two more times and they have been amazing BUT that tour was awful. Even a crap ton of wisers and it was meh. The drive home the day after was painful! I think this was about when I started getting old and feeling hangovers for a day!!!

We had our second Friends Xmas. Our place was too small so it started being at KTs. Funny how looking at facebook helps remember things. I think this might have been the first year we deep fried the turkey. I failed a few times at that. One year, well we didn't have enough oil so we had to run over to Safeway and buy a bunch of gallon jugs. Another year I didn't check the propane so mid fry it was off to get another cylinder of that. I think though the first year it went okay and that's why we kept doing it.

Time flew by, as it tends to do. It was just about time to renew our lease and we were going to then yet again shit fell apart. See TCM was now on her finals for Chinese Medicine, we had to go to Calgary for her to do the final exams. So she was stressing a bit. Now this place we were renting was from a young couple. Yuppies to be honest. We had signed no smoking, which was fine TCM was trying to quit. But stress made her puff a few ON THE BALCONY. With the windows closed. The other kinda funny thing is TCM never let her dad know she smoked. Anyway he is over for dinner one night and the phone rings. I answer and the land lady starts into me. You are evicted, you broke lease, you have 24 hours and on and on. Yelling to the point everyone in the room can hear from the phone. So I went to the bedroom and asked her why quietly. She says for smoking in the condo. I said no, that never happened maybe on the patio but never inside. It doesn't matter she screams we are out. So I hung up on her. Then her husband calls back. He is much more calm. Listen I hate to do this he says but we did say no smoking in the condo, you guys did break lease and you have to go. I would let you stay but she is mad and happy wife happy life blah blah blah. I said the lease says no smoking IN the condo and we didn't sorry. Also feel free to pursue this but how was it she knew about it? Were you in our place today? Yes he answered. Okay well that's fine, we will be pursuing the fact you unlawfully entered our home. We were not given the 24 hours required by the landlord and tenant act, so please think it over and let me know what you decide. BOOOM!!! A day later he calls and asks if we would like to renew our lease for next year, which the caveat that any smoking is done not on the balcony but outside on the ground floor. We had already started looking for a new place to live so come spring 2009 yet again we moved. This time we rented a bungalow. It was a nice one, but that will be the next entry. One more memory though from summer 2009 to end this one.



The Condo with the "smoking" violations

Bigby and Dreads were getting hitched! This was the big thing. First one TCMs friends to do it. So we were making a big trip out of it. Pulling the tent trailer down to Van City and leaving it there for a few days we were going to take the fairy, hotel it, in Victoria and camp with Sporty and Kitty in Okanogan after. However right off the bat shit went wrong. My fault but turning onto the fairy I caved in the rear panel of my truck. This really was the beginning of the end for that truck. It had a few dings but this was bad. Either way we got James Bay Inn and the fun began. First off we had so many people it seemed to take up the old hotel just for us. So every time you came outta your room you bumped into a friend. It was awesome! The day before TCM, KT, Sporty and some others all had dress rehearsal or whatever so Tats introduced me to slurpies and vodka! Now you would think I would have already done this but nope. Also Tats said a half mickey would be enough. I felt I would need a full mickey. Needless to say by the time they got back I was feeling good! Another fun side story KT in her traveling had met a boy. He had flown in for it. We had met before, he was a decent guy. I think he thought us Canadians crazy for living in such cold lol. Anyways that was a side bar. So the big day comes and they get married in Beacon Hill Park. We had made a deal, since I had the only truck I would help take down all the shit in the park and bring it to the reception. Which was fine since they all had to go do pictures and shit. So we did all that and waited for the girls to get back. When they did we headed to the wedding, and here is how the deal failed. EVERYONE knew I drank Wisers, way before it was the "good" whiskey. When it was the cheap one actually. So the bride and groom bought a special bottle for helping them out and had it under the bar for me. The bartender however poured it for all the first drinks and when we showed up it was gone!!  But meh, there was wine and beer. A great night was had by all. I did manage to light my vest on fire some how.... AT some point when we had to shut it down we all went to some house converted into a bar. At that place they kicked us out at close but let us take our drinks out to roam the streets. The next morning there was a trail of empty wine glasses and beer bottles from the bar back to our hotel. Kind of like the bread crumb trail in fairy tales.....

I think we stayed two more days. One for sure to recover and then we drove to the Okanogan. I still am pretty bad for it but did you ever live pay cheque to pay cheque? This is how bad we had gotten, pay day was 2 days away but we needed some camp supplies. So it all went on the old Club Z card. All our food was paid for and bought at Zellers..... Anyways we got in late and set up the tent trailer. Sporty and Kitty, set up their tent. They didn't actually like tenting and moved into a hotel the next night. They got tired of that to and left a couple days early. We stayed out our holidays, it was a fun trip. The fact is when we got paid 2 days later we could go and do things like a winery. But there you have it, most of summer 09 nicely wrapped up.




Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo