Skip to main content

Taylor is Gone.

Taylor Hall is gone, deal with it! It has been about a week so I think heads have cool down and we can look at this logically. First lets just look at him as a player and stick to facts.

Fact, he is a good player. With 328 points in 381 games he is a 0.86 point per game guy. To put that in perspective he isn't Alex O with a 1.15 point per game. (I think Hall thought he would be) However Jon Toews is 0.87 points per game and everyone in the world would agree he is a superstar. SO Hall is a superstar, like him or not he is a damn good player. Now more facts, the Oilers are the laughing stock of the NHL. No team in history has had as many high draft picks in a row and keeps being the bottom feeders. Another fun fact in my life time no team has won more Stanley cups, so why do we suck so bad now?? 10 years in a row now and not one playoff berth since making it to game 7 of the Cup finals!!

Now lets get to the more fun part, speculation. Hall was drafted to turn the Oilers around. He was a big deal and he was at least going to start the upswing in Oilers fortunes. (We have been rebuilding since when? the great one left?) Since his draft the opposite has happened. They got worse! Now you can turn around and say one man does not make a team. True. However look at teams that have had only 1 or 2 top picks. Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Tampa and the Islanders. They have won Presidents trophies, Stanley Cups or had deep playoff runs. The Oilers had 3 number 1's in a row then 3 drafts later got another 1st and still can't make the playoffs! In 03 Pittsburgh drafted Fleury if they got the next 2 that would be Ovi and Sid and then if they got another one in three years that would be Stamkos could you imagine that team?! Fleury, Ovi, Sid and Stamkos?? So Hall failed and it isn't for lack of team mates, he is supported by three more firsts and what two more top 10s? While Hall's numbers are good he has by no means led the mighty Oil not even to the playoffs.

Look at everything else that has changed, coaches, management, players and nothing has helped!! To me it says something is wrong on the most basic level.... The players. (Big disclaimer here I have no idea why we train so many player in E town that go on and win. Also I am right now saying Hall may have an explosive season next season. In fact I think he will. He is pissed. Look at Kane's performance this year after his rapey pants ordeal. Also if Nail leaves I see big things) But my whole point is something is wrong in the dressing room.

Lets get to rumours (Juicy TMZ style. Like wanting a BJ for an autograph). I have heard from more that one group Hallsy is a douche. And these arent groups that know each other, these are totally seperate people. I am not a good hockey player, I love play on, I like mens league and co-ed Essc but the one fact that remains is a douche in the dressing room can bring a whole team down. A poor attitude spreads, asks any supervisor anywere. So I seriously am going of the theroy that "someone" was given a big head going first, performed decently but thinks they are Ovi, Stamkos or Sid. And in the last 6 years has spread that dressing room cancer. SO ya I am happy to see it go.

My problem is this, did the Oilers get enough?? Lets look at what they need. D!!!! First off they signed Talbot. So he is the man, I guess we will see. When he is hot, he is crazy hot. When he is not well we suck. But back to what we need and can offer, first off they are playing from a weak hand and everyone knows it. What I hear Montreal wanted for Subban was crazy!! Would I love to see PK here, yes but not at that price. Does anyone else realize a HUGE part of the 06 run was Pronger? (Also for a great D veteran like Weber I would happily give up Hall and more) Any winning team has great D, not all great teams have good D though. D is the difference between being great and winning but anyways... First, Nurse. I love this kid, since the WJC I have loved him. My thought is along with McJebus he is a big part of the future. And now Adam, the Hallsy replacement... He does have big shoes to fill. He cant shit the bed or he will be hated. However if he can play good D he might be the key piece this club needs. ONly time will tell.

So Summary. The team needs D and that is what we traded for, I personally think this season we will make a legit playoff  attempt. I think the Oilers are a better team now. For losing a Cancer and gaining a position that needs filled.

Comments

  1. So you want to be a writer. Okay. Use proper grammar. Embrace paragraphs. Otherwise interesting article. You tried to say a lot in a jumbled way. Maybe take more time. Thanks for the write up. 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. for taking the time to read it. I do know I need to work on those things.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo