Skip to main content

Mayans Finale

 Well Mayans is over, this will be a quick post but it was too long to post on Twitter and social media. A lot of this is just a rehash of an earlier post but updated with the show now being wrapped up, some final thoughts and a review of the finale. So it should go without saying. Spoilers ahead!!

Kurt Sutter created Sons of Anarchy and it was a massive hit. Yes it took a couple seasons but so did Yellowstone to be a hit. Mayans never hit that. Allegedly Sutter had a plan for 4 shows in order SOA, Mayans, First 9 and Sons. 4 shows set in the same universe and all tied together. For those who remember it, the Shield is in the same universe (I am rewatching, its so good) This was proven when Bishop mentioned Vic Makey.... This isn't just me wanting it to be true. After Mayans failure to take off I doubt we see First 9 which I would love or Sons (Thomas and Abel and SOA) which I dunno if they become SOA it would take away from Jaxs story. Mayans failed because it was poorly written, Ill stick to that until I die. Not because it didn't start with potential, not because it was poorly acted. Though losing Coco really drove the show down. He was a fan fav. The truth was it never gained traction because even the people who enjoyed the show complained about it! Anyways look at the two main characters Jax and EZ. They both start off as decent guys and by the end they are the villains. However with Jax even when he kills himself you still feel for him. EZ was written so by last season no one really cared about him. The fact is you can write a main character as a bad guy Vic and Jax are proof of this but you have to make him likable, from social media it seems like no one like EZ. Then in the last 2 episodes they tried to bring people back to liking him. Too little too late. They ballooned the story lines, which is fine IF people cared about them. Again had they spent any time building these stories up maybe people would care, the fact was by the end I couldn't have cared about Hanks mother, or Gillys little family, or sadly even Bishop and his love life. The writers should have put more time into these stories a long time ago. OR written things more real. The other big thing I kept seeing was how annoyed people were with the fact reality was left behind, Mayans and Sons spent two seasons shooting everything and we didn't see a cop until the final episode?? I have said all this before though so lets look at the finale

So Felipe is dead. We get his funeral. I am assuming this it to make people dislike Isaac. Potter comes and does one of his rants blah blah blah. Honestly after the first season I don't know why Potter was in the show. The absolute worst part of the episode was the end of the "war" For 2 seasons this has been one of the main stories. Isaac for 3 seasons has been a terror. Even guys like Tig and Alverez seem to talk about how crazy and dangerous he is. Samdino seems to wipe out all the southern Mayan chapters, they are on the run but then one day EZ just says okay lets go win the war. They walk into a bar, kill the entire Samdino chapter and scene! The war is over. Prime bad writing. So after murdering a presidents father in the middle of a war, a whole charter is out partying without a gun? Isaac is portrayed as smart and this is literally the dumbest thing they could do. So the main plot is done in 5-10 minutes?? I saw so many people angry how Isaac died. I will admit he wasn't a fighter. Not once do we actually see him fight, so him running from EZ I get but him being that stupid nah thats a waste. Isaac was the Joker. He was brilliant and crazy. Easily the most entertaining person in the show the last two seasons. He was wasted this season and honestly he wasn't afraid to die they made that clear BUT in the end he goes out with a whimper.... Shit end to the war. I was waiting for a big twist, I knew the Mayans would win the war but just to walk in and beat people to death boring......

Next what the hell was the point of Letty in this episode?? I will give her she gave the dog a new home but other than that nothing?! Her and Hope shouldnt even have been in this season. Same as Alverez. He provided nothing to this season. Sure it is nice to see he got a happy end with his family but other than that he provided nothing to the season. We see the broken saints again, I get they give the Mayans a place to cook drugs but really? Where they needed in this season. ALSO they mention Mother like this is going to be something big and we never hear of her again.... Another MASSIVE nothing burger I should have mentioned. Miguel Reyes! I mean him being a Reyes, that whole family line went the same as Jon Snow. The actual family didn't fucking matter! Miguel came to the funeral, had the pics but it all meant nothing! What a waste. Also Emily murders him, the bodyguard and gets away with it?? Another storyline that took way too much screen time, wrapped up in 5 minutes. I mean the whole storyline should have taken up 5 minutes of this season, instead it took up way to much time but then BOOM done. Also Emily murdered that other woman who said others were onto the Galindo family, that meant nothing? If we are going down this road I guess the cartels mean nothing. I mean Miguel murders a guy in the bathroom, Louisa kills a cartel head and takes out a bunch of guys and none of it matter? On top of that the "pipeline" which has been so important gets blown up, they tell EZ and no one seems to care. Even though that means now Cole will becoming after them. They no longer have the prisons or an alliance with Storm 88 or Iron War. I half assed expected EZ to look at the camera and say "Who cares, we have no more episodes!" This whole show started with the drug smuggling, the pipeline is arguably the most important part of this season but meh... fuck it! If we are talking about that what about Angel and burning down the drug warehouse. That was the shocking ending last season and yet it got 2 minutes of screen time this season? Also I kinda hated what happened with the Grim Bastards, they think the SOA declared war on them and after they pushed so hard for peace just join with the Mayans? First they may not be a "puppet" club for SOA but the whole history is they are closely tied and rather than find out what happened they just betray the Sons? Also along that story line Alverez grabs a gun, goes to Charming and 20 minutes later figured out what happened? No one in the Bastards thought to do that?? So many loose ends at the end of the finale. OH! one more what about that guy EZ killed that was going to expose him as a rat. The cousin of the guy in prison who knew EZ was a rat. That story, another one with no closure....

I guess I should talk about EZs death. It was perfect, I saw on line so many people say it was going to be Cesar like and damn was it ever! The sad thing though was Angel. That was hard to watch, he did not want to kill his brother and if he didn't have Maverick I am pretty sure he wouldn't have but.... Honestly I am surprised EZ made it that long. People either love or hate his "dark" turn. If you hate it, like me cause it happens to fast and for no real reason that IMO is a legit complaint. People who liked it and said it was realistic for a criminal, okay lets run with that. The MC would have gotten rid of him earlier. EVERY choice he makes for pretty much the entire last season fucks the club more and more. Not saying they all stab him to death but I am pretty sure they would remove him. I guess thats the problem with his dark turn. Either it happens to fast OR it is real and he is just a terrible criminal yet the show portrays him as being beloved while he destroys the club. The whole thing felt rushed to though, like Kody just shows up and tells Bish and then they murder EZ. Same as Terry coming to the Mayans. "Ill tell you what happened to your dad" Really that was so cheesy. They fucking know! Terry was another one who goes from being a bad ass killer to nothing? His writing was also terrible..... I have more bitching for sure but Ill wrap up the negativity with WTF was the end. So there are no cops after the Mayans (and Sons) even though it is mentioned in this episode that southern Cali has become a war zone until the last scene?? I will give you the Grim Bastards did foreshadow cops would be coming a few episodes back but seriously no cops until they raid the club house and what??? We hear a bunch of gun fire and never see anything. Did they massacre the SP charter? Is that what they were trying to show there? Again that would be fucking awful writing, that many cops move in and just murder everyone. I can see a few corrupt cops killing a few Mayans but that many cops being involved in a massacre? I will say thank fuck EZs super boring old lady who rarely left a trailer is gone. I honestly don't even know why she was in the show. Even more confusing, I assume to try and make things tragic, she was pregnant? Also having Bottles kill her?? Really? I mean we do see him with a full patch after that but it just seems weak, specially if Bottles gets gunned down by cops 10 minutes later. 

OKAY so that was a lot of complaining, however this was probably the second best episode of the season. Honestly I cant remember I think it was episode 6 when things actually moved forward. That was one of the best Mayan episodes ever and this one was good as well. Just to little to late. EZ and Angel at the bridge, Marcus and Bishop in the hospital were amazing scenes. Had they have had more scenes of that caliber for the last few seasons, people might actually care! Even EZ pleading with Angel to kill him was great. IMO they should have cut off half a dozen storylines, concentrated on a few main ones and made them as good as these scenes. Like Gilly and Hanks stories just ate up screen time this season. Honestly same with Letty and Hope. Hell even most of Potter, all wasted screen time. They could have made EZs death tragic, if they had made him interesting & sympathetic. Shit have his old lady live and have their kid instead of just dying in a trailer. Certain scenes in the last few episodes have been great and they could have ended this series so strong had the actually concentrated on the main lines instead of adding a million new story lines in a final season! Also it was great to see Nestor finally get a patch & hell I guess Bottles did to (He was a great character who really should have got more screen time if they wanted to show the decline of the club) Seeing Angel and Marcus move on and away from the life was nice. So I guess for all my bitching, for the most part I did like this episode. This entire season though felt like they were setting up for a final season and I guess that was the problem. 

My last question is who really won war? Looks like Mayans SP eliminated Samdino and would be the power in So. Cal BUT if they are all dead or in jail and SP is gone do the Sons win as they have the only of club left in So. Cal? Or it was posed to me in a different way both clubs win?? Samdino might be gone but maybe that's a good thing? Same with Santo Padre? They both were just pains in the ass for the overall clubs and them being gone is a good thing?

Overall Finale 6.5/10

Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo