Skip to main content

Eggnog and Oranges

Rap is a funny kinda music. Or genre I guess I should say. You literally can make a name for yourself by shitting on, "dissing" someone else. Like you might hear of a disagreement between say Garth Brooks and Alan Jackson BUT  not writing songs that are attack songs. PS that was fictional idea I don't think there is a "beef" there. Anyways I just have to laugh about people trying to do that to make a name. Face it Eminem is the biggest star in rap, like him or not. SO you see people taking shots at him. Look at MGK earlier this year and now Nick Cannon. Seriously, weren't you on Nickelodeon and in that drum line movie. NO one respects you in rap, just quit while your ahead. That is just me being a Stan, but its true.... The point I wanted to make though is, it is dangerous. In the 90s Biggie and Pac died over shit like this. You don't see this in other genres. And I guess people don't learn, because it keeps happening. To me I don't think I am willing to talk shit and maybe die just to get a name. I mean I talk shit but hope I never get shot over it!!

Probably too late by the time I post this but I say Merry Christmas, deal with it! You don't have to say it back, or even believe in it but just drop the dumb anti Christmas rhetoric. Keep the holidays in whatever way you want and let me do the same. I know I say that every year but it is true! Why do we have to take away from each other? Why cant we just let people do what they want. (Within reason I mean) So ya it is that time a year again when I am gonna rant this. Likely same as last year and same as next...

Also in the same token, lets make 2020 a better year. We (wife and I) try and give as much as we can. From bottles when the kids come around, to buying chocolate, to going to fund raising things and donating there to. I am not saying we are saints or anything but what we can spare we are happy to give. Of course at Xmas it amps way up. Buy stuff for the food bank, then get roped into more at the till. Most years head to a Christmas Carol and donate there. (Sadly not this year). I think everyone amps it up at Xmas, I could be wrong but I don't think I am. Plus even though malls become mad houses and peoples greed is easier to see, people try to be kinder. All for a couple weeks at least. Its fake, its phony because we all start over as our normal selves Jan 1st. Or we say for a month we are going to be better, gym membership sales sky rocket blah blah blah. Lets actually do it this year. Not resolutions, fuck them but being better to people for a year. For myself, maybe this means not being as much a dick on social media. Letting shit go, even if someone like Sheila from Rebel says something utterly dumb, just turning cheek. I will try. I can't promise I won't say something if it is WAY BEYOND dumb but I will try. Maybe try to donate a bit more. I mean I have somethings to save and pay for, but give a bit more. If we all tried MAYBE we wouldn't all think the world is a shit hole, cause believe me I have heard many people say that.

Enough of that, those are two rants I do every year...

SO the world of pop culture. Rise of Skywalker is coming out (Or is out depends on when I publish this) I dunno, I think this is milking it, but yes I will go see it. The say the saga ends.... For what a few years? Maybe a decade? Which is fine,but when they crack and make another trilogy, make quality movies. Also on that note the Mandalorian is out. So far so good. Baby Yoda is taking the internet by storm! It is getting repetitive though. Pretty much every episode is a stand alone and no one is match for him. Which is great BUT I think you might want to change the story up a bit. Only a few days until Witcher is out on Netflix. I can't wait. I am going to be glued to that. HOPE they do a good job! It looks good, I hope it is. Found a comic book store in Edmonton. Been buying a few again. Big shout out to Variant Editions. These guys  are great, anyone looking for a store in Edmonton give them a visit! So confused about the relaunch of all the X titles Hoping the trade paperback I ordered will make it make sense. But the new titles are cool so far. I will have to drop a couple BUT that will be a hard choice. Also been reading, Loki, Once and Future, Morbius, Punisher.... Could take a couple recommendations but don't want to over do it either. I do need to know though, what is the best BATMAN title out? I want at least one. Nothing in music for me to say. TV hasn't really been amazing. I mean I started into Prodigal Son and Evil. Both are alright but nothing amazing. I have started His Dark Materials hoping that is a good one. I thought I liked the books but maybe I didn't finish them. Or maybe I didn't actually like them cause I can't remember them. Nothing in the video game front. Finished Witcher 3 for a third time and went back to Red Dead, might actually finish it this time.

We did our Friends Xmas last weekend. IF memory serves me correct the first one we did would have been winter 2006. 13 years worth of them, over time watched a ton of different faces come and go through them. In '06 it was a Friday night or at least a night people didn't have to work the next day because everyone was more into drinks than making the dinner. This year was a Sunday eating by 5 / 6 ish and people home by 9. What used to be a big party is a family event now. With MOST people bringing their kids. Which is actually fine, kinda what Xmas is all about. Families and friends getting together. That's what I love about this time of the year, seeing people. Eating and drinking. Having a couple days off. This is just a continuation of my belief I am getting old. Back in 2006 I didn't even yet know some of the people who I saw this year and NONE of the kids existed! Had you told me I would be writing this blog then I would have laughed. What was supposed to be a night of drinking carried on for over a decade now and grew and changed.

Eggnog and oranges! Just a side bar I love this time of year for them! If I am honest I might drink a litre of eggnog, with some rum and I am done with it after that. I had two glasses with a small meal at friends Xmas and can't remember the last time I was that full. But the oranges! I am surprised I am not Trump skin tone by Jan 1st. I don't think 4 - 6 a day is in anyway an exaggeration. WHY can we not have these year round?? If so I could cut my intake down!

This is a distraction. Don't think  I am not scolding myself. I know I should be working on real writing but I have been at a major block for some reason on the two stories I mainly work on.

Death needs to fuck off around the holidays. I mean it, everyone OR at least 90% of people who I know who have passed have done it within a couple weeks of the big 3. Easter, Thanksgiving or Xmas. Everyone tells you (And they are likely right) oh just carry on. Enjoy, so and so wouldn't want you to be sad. Like I said, that's probably true, but it doesn't mean it doesn't still suck. I knew a good man who recently passed. It is true that it sucks even more when they have a young family. I could do another whole blog on death, but for now I am just asking death if he could maybe stay away for a few years and really avoid holidays.

Have you heard of the First Temptation of Christ? I didn't until right wing anger machines tweeted about it! Its funny how that works, their anger teaches more people about it, kinda the opposite of what I assume they want.... But anyways. I am firmly on the boat that things should be left the way they are. We don't need a black superman, we have Clark Kent. You want to make a black man from krypton go ahead, but why do you need to change the source material? (Not that I don't think Micheal B Jordan wouldn't rock) The Joker is not gay, as I have seen a petition to change him. Like if you have years, decades of source material it pisses me off when people want to change it all to keep up with some social justice trend. I am not saying don't make minority characters, in fact do. Stan the Man made characters like the Xmen to express that, kinda worked out well. So take it another step further..... But all that side rant leads up to gay Jesus. That is the Netflix show, the First Temptation of Christ. Jesus is made into a gay character. This is the one time part of me is alright with it. With all the bigoted hate filled Christians, I think it is a lovely slap back. If he was the god of love and kindess, some of his more rabid followers seem to have forgot that. HOWEVER I do hate that Christians seem to be the only group you can mock and get away with. Can you imagine if this was Muhammad? It wouldn't be angry white folks threatening to cancel Netflix subscriptions, it would be real threats. So this one, its really got me buggered. (I love South Park because they slap all people equally.) I hate changing source material for some stupid SJW reasons, lets be honest making Jesus gay pretty well falls into that category. I however enjoy when hypocrites get a quick kick in the nuts. We should probably all move past homophobia, it is literally 2020 in a few days and  this has been going on since, well forever. But I do have a slight issue with people who aren't South Park and single out one group. Christians get to bear the brunt of it, they don't put death threats out if you mock them. They just boycott your show.... In this world if your going to make fun of one religion, hit them all. The fact is they are all messed up, Muslims, Christians, Mormons, Scientologists. So why is it only okay to mock one???

That's it, that's all for this year on this blog. MY goal next year is maybe fewer entries but more focused. More real writing, forcing myself not just being me and saying meh, I'll get to it! Like I said fuck resolutions, they never work but that's my goal. So to anyone reading this Merry Christmas!


Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo