Skip to main content

Disney / Universal trip!

This time I am not breaking our trip out into each day, I have been here 3 times now. But a brief summary, is a nice easy blog. When we landed in LA it was 32 degrees, just after 3 PM. I love it here! The driving service picked us up again. One time we had Dre the super talky guy, this guy was quiet until we started talking to him. He had been part of an MC, wonder if he would have had some good stories for us.... Soon as we checked in we rushed to the park to exchange our vouchers for tickets so we wouldn't have to do that tomorrow AM and waste time. So as we are rushing there we get stopped in the street by a chubby little black duded with a back pack. He was all "give me love" and huggy and in the personal space. Then he went on about getting out of the gang life and how he was raising money for a community centre in Compton. I gave him $10 for a chocolate bar that was melty (I planned on chucking it anyway) And we carried on to the park. Now this is what the world has come to within like 3 seconds I wondered if it was a scam......

So security was stupid long, like longer than I have ever seen and it was a Sunday night. Exchanging our vouchers was also PAINFUL! As long and established as Disney is you would think they would have this down to a science. We headed to Downtown Disney since we can go in the park yet for dinner and drinks. Now as a general rule we eat a big breakfast and then go for "lupper" at 4ish to avoid dinner rush. NOW I KNOW WHY! Every place had massive lines but since it was two of us we could actually get into a bar in about 5 minutes so that worked well. On the way out my wife bought what I think are Canadian looking Minnie ears for our trip. Plaid, look like they are ready for snow. I wasn't going go to go into this much detail BUT I had to laugh walking back to the hotel the same guy approached us about his community league in Compton..... I think I was scammed.

So day 1 we were up and atta em bright and early. Started as we always do and likely will in the Disney Park. Did Indy and Pirates, which also seems tradition. Couldn't do the Haunted Mansion like we usually do cause it was closed down. Then we hit Star Wars land and this is Disney of course it is done well! The details on the wait to the ride, the whole space station is great. Also I finally did Mr. Toads wild ride. It is not as wild as it sounds.... The wait for Matterhorn was insane. So long and so hot! 34 degrees. We headed to Lamp Light Lounge for lunch. Gotta try it people! Wife had Mickeys fun wheel and a screamcanaster. Both were good, my Mule wasn't but the Zombie was great. He did forewarn me it was strong. It really wasn't but it was tasty. The lobster nachos are amazing EVERY person in the place was having them I believe. Being an honest Canadian and telling them they missed a drink on our bill they did something rather nice for us. The service is great, the drinks are pricey but it is well worth going. Then I ended up in a single rider line for Grizzly River. I wouldn't mention this BUT I ended up with 5 Japanese guys that didn't speak much English HOWEVER I did learn that one is a youtuber over there. I thought they were crazy holding phones out for this ride, but they did. So if you ever watch Suck-cash (That is kinda what he said his name was) youtube channel that might be me, he is in the raft with. They seemed kinda obsessed with yelling two dollars! And they told me USA was a great country, I told them Canada. They laughed and said Canada was a great country. Then back to the main park. I wont say a bunch about it just the Mansion was up so that was cool. Ended up stuck behind some people on a street and it turned out that was the Santa parade. So we watched that and got it out of the way. It was good, then hit its a small world. I think I have said it before it makes me laugh they still get away with racial stereotypes in this ride. Everything else in Disney is slowly changing to be more "progressive". I can't believe they had to get rid of wenches in pirates BUT this one remains the same...

The second day we went straight into Cali adventure. Disney pro tip here, if you have hopper go here first. RUSH not RUN to the Cars fastpass, then go do a couple rounds of toy story midway mania. By then it will be fast pass time and you can avoid the hour ride to cars. Get another cars fast pass if you wanna do it again! Kinda what we did, but then went to Oga's Cantina for a reservation in Star Wars Land. (We did try Guardians. I have to admit, I screamed like a little bitch. I won't do it again. Felt like a fool when I got off BUT I can say I tried) Well we tried, the whole land was shut down for some reason, of course they wouldn't tell us why. We left, hit another ride or two and came back, then we got into Oga's. See my yelp on it. It is cool yes, but over packed and priced. I don't enjoy sharing a standing bar with strangers. NOW what we learned here is the fuzzy Taun Taun is no joke. The waitress says careful there is poison on top. Okay Ha Ha ya know its Disney. No the actual foam is made from a Japanese flower that literally numbs you. My wife made the mistake of getting some foam in her nose and it literally numbs the airways. SO that was scary shit. After when we realized yes it is a mild poison it is fun to rub on your lips and mouth to make it numb. Just don't breath it! I mean it is Disney so I am sure they have a cure but it is pretty crazy. There isn't a ton more to say about this day except our meal was at Ralph Brennans Jazz Kitchen. I have to say it is likely the best meal we ate here. The appies were great, I had a catfish Poboy and the wife had a pasta. Just awesome, HOWEVER a real mint julip is nothing like the kiddy one in Disneyland......

SO we went to universal for our 3rd day. I had never been there before. I don't like transfers, I mean I get why we need them so that "Star Tours" can get all the people w not shortly after here they need to go but I am a 10 year old boy and want to get straight to Universal when I leave at 8 not shortly after 1030. Also the massive BS, it was super rainy! Like on and off all morning and the night before! Rain on my holiday in LA. How dare you! (As some little girl named Greta yelled about something) Anyways after a bus ride we got there. It was straight to Harry Potter land. Not sure if I ever wrote it before but my wife is a Harry Potter nut. Like has the robes, wands, few copies of each book. All sorts of art and collectibles, so this is her jam. We wandered and took pics to start. Then lined up for the HP ride, not the outside coaster... The whole long walk to it is a nerds dream, bring our cell and snap pics. Then when we got there it was broken down.... :( So we went to Simpsons land. I have been wanting a Flaming Moe since I knew it existed. (Moes tavern in  Universal, I mean) guess what! It isn't on fire and it doesn't have booze! Heartbroken! But we did the Simpsons ride, it is actually really fun. I didn't know if I would dig the 3d ride but it was good. We went back to HP world and have a drink at the Hogsmeade. Over priced wine.... No thanks! I mean it is cool to have a drink in a mythical pub I was just not a fan and it is hard to chug wine. My wife bought a hoodie she was in love with. I being a dumbass and refusing to wear a coat in LA actually asked to wear hers. This is how ugly out it was. Then finally a clearing in the sky, sun came out and we went to the lower lot. I wanted to do Jurassic ride, but even with the sun peaking out it is was cool so I said no to the water ride. NEXT TIME, mark it down. The sweet thing was there was literally no one in line for Transformers. That is another good one. Then came the shopping, she bought a bunch of stuff for her friends and I picked up an Xmas present for one of mine friends kids. There is admittedly cool shit there, but too rich for my blood. I would buy Riddles diary (If you understand what that is) as a note book, but not for $50. Finally the good HP ride was open so we lined up for it. It is worth it, I will admit the spiders creeped me out but it was fun. We wandered the park some, I have to admit it is nowhere as big as Disney. I will give it, it is also very well done. Sadly didn't see too many characters. Like passed by Scooby early on and hoped I would see him later but no. Doc Brown wasn't very good either. He didn't look as crazy as he should lol! We hit minions, cause it is a cool movie BUT should have known it wouldn't be that intense of a ride. The day was getting on, I thought I wanted to do a studio tour BUT I didn't realize it would be up to an hour. So tip if you wanna do that, don't do it on a time crunch. Instead we ate a quick lunch and I gave my wife a one year ring. She seemed to like it. I didn't do a big show, just a nice ring giving and by this time it was almost time to go. So we went and checked out the "city walk" NOW another tip IF you want a good meal or to shop get down here. Again if you are on a timed tour you might not have a chance but it was cool. Lots of decent shops and bars. Stopped in a candy store and then a comic shop. Yes it sounds like we are 5. I think MAYBE Dark Horse owns part of the comic store. But it was super cool. Then back on the bus home to watch home alone 2 for a second time (watched it going to park) I get maybe kids haven't seen it before but one woman on the bus, my gawd. IN your 50s if you haven't seen it, where have you been living? Or if you have you really shouldn't laugh as much...

So day 4 started the same way into Cali adventure. Did soaring over the world which is pretty cool. This day was a bit more chill and a bit more rushed.... If that makes sense. I think we did the most rides this day but it was very dead, so we had lots of time to walk between rides and short ride times. They did something cool this day, Cali closed at 5 so the staff could be celebrated. I think that means they got time there, that is an awesome idea IMO. We did most our shopping this day, got presents for kids for xmas and some other stuff. Actually enough bags we had to come back to hotel to drop stuff off and head back to park after that. We ate at Uva bar again, I got to have my medium rare burger. I love coming to the states for that, good juicy burgers.....

Our last day in the park..... Again started in Cali. Much busier but got a few rides in. I wanted to go to the Tasting Terrace for an early morning snack. We had been there years ago and it was nice to sip wine and nibble BUT it didn't open until 2:30 so that was out. Instead we hit Uva again.... I kinda forgot my phone when we left the place. Big thanks to CeCe the waitress who grabbed it and had it locked up for me. When I came running back they had it. We took pics and hit a few rides. I did splash mountain. Pro tip sit in 5 or 6 and you will barely get splashed. I am not getting into the politics but they need more splash mountain merch. Wife got me a bunny, Br'er Rabbit. A personal fav. Then later had our last nice meal at Napoli. It was an early night if I am honest. Keep in mind on average we were in the park for 10 hour at least a day. I put in more hours in 4 days at the park than I do at work in a week. So we headed back to hotel and I finished out my night playing Jeopardy and watching Harry Potter.

So now just sitting and waiting. We don't fly until later tonight. I hate that. Check out is noon, that is after asking for a late check out. We don't get picked up until 3:30 and I believe the flight is 745. SO hours to kill. That is a first world problem though... I guess a few final thoughts. This did get a bit longer than I planned for a blog. I guess anytime you travel things will happen to write about. But I didn't break it out day by day blog by blog so I am happy I stuck to that. First a fact, 6 days on average 21,639 steps per day. That includes the day we flew down and Universal where we got a lot less steps. Disney brings out the best and the worst in people. Like you see everyone happy and having a good time. Most people are polite and so on.... BUT they also do the opposite. Like people will elbow or push to get ahead in a line. Basically shove you out of the way for a photo, ride those MF'ing scooters and ram into anything. Funny world that way. The app is a great idea, tells times and can really help plan a trip. BUT the opposite is true, using it as a fast pass really slows up lines when it won't scan. I would stick to paper for that.  Bring $$$ for sure and pack water. It is honestly a life saver. I am happy we came here again. It is a place where the real world seems far away. It is the happiest place on earth. I suggest to anyone with kids, bring them here...... Or hell come as an adult and enjoy every ride and the night life! Anywho I do need to go pack and think of what else I can write about for the hours I have to kill today.....


Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo