Skip to main content

Last days 13,14&15

So day 13 in Mexico, I am not even going to say how it started since the prior 12 were the same. The shitty thing was it was still crazy windy. We went up to the excursion desk to check in again and again it was cancelled. They have 3 times 8 11 and 2. The 8 was cancelled and they weren't sure if our 11 would go. So I asked to cancel it, get a refund. It sucks sitting around all day waiting and being let down. So they credited the room back the trip fees. Honestly I didn't understand the whole thing they wanted to do but in the end they didn't credit the card back the money, just the room. So then we turned around and booked a second massage, which would be billed to the room and eat up the credit.... They say crediting the card takes up to 2 weeks and credit to the room is so much easier. I think the truth is they just want you to spend the money. Which I totally understand.

This is a side note and I am not sure if I said it but every night guests are given a newspaper of sorts. What activities will be going on the next day, drinks to try and all that. We got one saying we were specially invited to a very romantic ceremony that next night that we would never forget. Anyways we will get back to that... Also every night we had a turn down service, wtf is that. Every night I told them no thanks.....

So we went to the spa and booked in a massage. Again we had the whole pre massage thing, which was awesome. I am not going to get into detail with that again as I already did but this massage was different. There was hot stones. That was great! Feels so nice, then they did a chocolate wrap on our feet. I don't get this, it felt nice and warm. Actually it smelt great but I don't get what chocolate is supposed to do for feet. I again was putty.... The wife was too. She said she liked last one but Jose had magic hands this time. I dunno how to take that.....lol. This was still early so we went for lunch. I forget what I wanted to order but they said they were sold out. So I had a pepito. This is a flank steak beef dip type thing. The steaks I had earlier in trip were good, even though I was worried they were flank. This one, nah not so much. Maybe they keep lower grade steak for sandwiches but I wasn't super impressed. Back to that newspaper, we decided to go see what was up. It was a Mayan butterfly ceremony. But it was by no means private or special for couples. Everyone got the same invite. So they must print a lot of stuff if everyone gets there own personal message to come down. It was cool don't get me wrong. I was struck by how similar the Mayan ceremonies are to our Native Americans.

That evening was Mexican night, meaning the show was Mexican. At first I went, caved and bought the cigars. Which I keep failing at and still haven't even opened them. Then we went down for the show. I am not sure what I expected but it was just a mariachi band. Don't get me wrong they were good, but a mariachi is a mariachi. Then came the rains, which sucked cause the shows are outside and that shuts it all down.

Day 14 our last day there was another relaxing day. I noticed everyone claims there spot early. Like throw towels out before breakfast. We never really did, we had a private bed or sat in chairs the bar. But I can see it being super annoying if you wanted a spot, hurried down and someone already took it but left for an hour or so. Went for our breakfast and walk early, then wife surprised me by stopping for a drink when the bar opened. She wanted to try the special of the day. A toasted Almond. It is very much like a paralyzer. A bit later we discovered something we should have way earlier.... The beach bar, which we never really went to cause we didn't go in ocean, just sat around the pool. The beach bar was way better though, it had snacks along with drinks. Wings, burgers, nachos and junk all day. So my beef with no place to eat without getting dressed up was all wrong. I fail! What do you do on your last day after 2 weeks?? Start thinking about home and boring crap like that.... Not what I wanted to do, so I tried to cram a bunch more in. Like I went into the ocean, swam in the pool. Took a book and went and laid in the sun. It felt like a last ditch effort to get all Mexico can give, in a single afternoon. Our last night I had room service again. Wings, that were super yummy BUT they sent 5. Only 5. I shit you not had I have known I was getting 5 I woulda ordered a couple orders. Then I threw the shorts back on and hopped in the pool. I wanted a pic in there, in the night because they look so cool. You have to be out before 8 though cause then they dump in cleaning chemicals. Then we took one last walk, snapping more pics. The place is very pretty at night. Don't judge me for saying very pretty!



Our last day our routine didn't change, except we went back to the room around 10 to finish our packing, we had most of it done the night before. We walked in the door and there was a huge nasty, nasty spider. I just shivered remembering it. I asked what do we do call someone? I wouldn't go near it. Well in a shameful moment for me, my wife grabbed this big book about Mexico that was in the room (This book was awesome, it was in the room for reading. HUGE and full of stuff about Mexico I didn't know. I read the first half through. Then the second half was all about tourist stuff. So I ignored that) She climbed on a chair, leaned over and dropped it on this spider. It was a direct hit, which is good cause she was right. She said just before she dropped it if she missed it was gonna run who knows where..... I was done, we sat on the bed watching TV and could have stayed until noon but I had to get out. So by 11 I made us bring bags out front. Then we literally sat and played on our phones waiting for our ride until 1:30. We didn't make use of it but they saw us waiting and kept saying go to the bar. One crazy thing we are sitting and waiting, then every manager of the place comes out. Like altogether. We wonder why and this Navigator roles up. A couple gets out and the managers all get hugs and say hi. The couple getting out says it is great to be "home". I have no idea who they were but they seemed like a big deal and on first name with the staff. Pretty sure they were Canadian though. I think they had Tm Hortons bags for the staff, donuts? I dunno. 

Our ride was less glamours. He didn't speak English very well and had a sign hanging in the mirror thanks for the tips. We picked up another couple at another resort. Maybe I am a snob but it didn't look very nice. Like the entrance wasn't even clean. Bahia and Excellence were both very clean. And I won't say the name but it was one of the resorts you see advertised a lot. Customs again was a breeze. It is funny though, even if you did nothing wrong you get nervous. They had my wife's passport. Scanned it, looked at it and then looked at her. Back and forth, like oh shit whats going on. Then nothing just wave us through. But that ten second delay seems like a lifetime. Plus it didn't help I had recently read about people being detained and made to pay crooked guards. We had lunch. Now a few years back in Cancun airport we had seen a Bubba Gumps. I had been waiting years to try it and it was gone! I am not sure we were in the same area, leaving for Canada. I recall our departure area being more a giant circle and this was more a long hallway. I mean maybe it was somewhere else and is still there but we didn't get it!!! As a note, yes I will be trying the one in WEM soon!! We ate at Guy Fieris or maybe Wolfgang pucks I think.... They had plug ins, in the booth to charge phones, which is a great idea in airports. Then we hit duty free. Now have times changed? I used to think duty free was amazing. It didn't seem like it. No better than an Ace or Solo here. Yes there was some smoking deals BUT if you got them you would be over duty and are supposed to pay. So I mean if you don't claim it I can see it being good but if you do, it is nothing special. Then we went to our gate and waited. The boarding time came and went and no plane showed up but the flight said it was on time. It did show up 10 minutes late but that really isn't bad. Our friends had a 2 hour delay because of snow in Edmonton, so I can't complain. 

I only have a couple observations from the flight, first bring wipes. I never thought of it but one of the ladies in front of us brought some and handed them to us. She said these places never get cleaned. So I wiped it down and it was disgusting! I will be doing that from now on! I have an overactive imagination, the other lady in front of us I assumed was an ex trophy wife. Dressed to the 9s, big fake lips, totally done up just to fly home and by herself. So she either got the boot or the old man croaked. Terrible right? She very well could have just been a nice lady on a holiday.... Also I felt bad for a couple Mexicans. There was a person so large it took 2 guys to wheel her chair onto the plane. I am not about to get into the whole buying two seats issue. I however support it, if you use two. Next load the plane!!! So we get our "service" or whatever and they say oh we are out of half the options. WTF. That's just poor planning. We did have that options plus thing again so we got a meal and a drink included but half the options were gone. Also I don't know how often it happens but I would say 90% of our guests couldn't preboard online with Transat and some didn't even show flights. It all worked out but there were some upset people. Also it sucks when the plane has no screens. I personally like when you can see where you are on a map. We flew over some places that in the night with the lights looked massive and it would have been neat to know where we were. The new digital customs seems good, like we were through fast but waiting for baggage was strange. A security officer came over and started randomly questioning people. Some of the questions seemed dumb to me but maybe they have a reason, I dunno. I realized though I would much rather have an issue here on my home soil than down there. Left my suitcases outside overnight. Hoping it was cold enough to kill anything that might have crawled in...... But that's it. My time in Mexico. It was a crazy two weeks! I got married yo! The first week while super awesome to have everyone was super busy! The second week was super pampered. Is 15 days too much? Probably unless you have something to do, like a wedding. I think if I was to go again maybe do 10 days. I would do another couple excursions. I wanna see Xcaret still. Actually get to snorkel on the reef. MAYBE go see big ruins. That's a big maybe, I would want like a big city not just 4 or 5 buildings. Anyways hope you enjoyed reading my "adventures" / random thoughts on a great holiday!! Thanks again to everyone who was down there with us!

Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo