Skip to main content

Fear The Walking Dead

I had such hope for Fear the Walking Dead. When it first came out I mistakenly thought it was going to show how the apocalypse started. The previews looked like it was going to show L.A and I hoped somehow it started all there. Well it didn't! We still have no idea how or why the zombies came. And to be honest the main show was getting a bit stale, so much hope rested on FTWD. (Negan did revitalize the main show for a bit but with that story over I also worry for the regular TWD) Fear flopped. That is a harsh judgement as they were only given 6 episodes to start. It is hard to write a decent season in six episodes but by the end of season 1 you know a few things Daniel is badass, Nick is the shows biggest hope and at this point Strand is mysterious and could be interesting.

So came season two and I stayed watching. Season 2 starts again no hook. Alicia & Chris continue to be annoying, Strand shows he a rat and Daniel dies. They outsmart some pirates who originally outsmarted them. (These pirates like so many storylines and characters just vanish...) So it keeps going downhill. HOWEVER things take a turn as this season ends and a new one begins. Chris dies, Travis actually becomes interesting and so does Madison. Season 3 starts with a bang! Premier was one of the best episodes on the show. Troy has the potential to be an amazing villain. Travis dies! Seriously?! After he becomes interesting and fights zombies in a pit he is killed off? The show throws a curve ball like that, maybe it will be good. I think they peeked here. First the ranch is a neat bit of writing, survivalists should do good in the new world, makes sense. The First Nations line is neat and what might happen if the government fell. Strand going to the cartel damn even is pretty cool, showing how criminals might gain from all this. Madison  becomes a solid character and even Alicia starts to be more entertaining. Troy was this shows Negan. There I said it! Wait maybe not, maybe the governor. He was interesting and thought he was doing the right thing and well enjoyed hurting people. They could have milked him for awhile. And Daniel was back! Strand yet again was an ass and dicked everyone around but it introduced the Proctors. Again this could have been amazing. MC's exist outside the law, but are a society with rules. It would make sense as the world fell they shouldn't. They talk about a dream of going all over from Texas to Cali. The proctors have huge potential. Then nothing we just don't see them again after what 2, 3 episodes. But lets move onto the new season

Season 4 the Good!

John Dorie, how can you not like this guy? Some how years into the apocalypse he is still a decent human being. You look at everyone else along the way and they have done so crappy stuff and have become a bit darker. Not this guy, he is still handing out candy. Love John Dorie. Al is great too. Not so much that she has been amazing but that she has so much potential. Having traveled around, learning all these stories she is like a gateway traveller into a possible million other stories. Plus she has a tank.

Nick and Morgan. For one glorious episode these two talked. An angry and dark Nick is new and who better to help him through it than Morgan. Two great actors, two great characters, this could have been a long and far reaching arc but then, bam Nicks dead. I should put this part now in the bad review section but I just gotta say wtf. Since the first season IMO Nick has carried the show. I dunno what will happen with out him.

The Vultures. Truth is first episode I didn't like them. Then I thought hey that is a neat idea. Instead of the fighting we always see lets see something new.  They looked like apocalypse hipsters, so I am sure they are easy to hate. But they get half a season? Come on! So much potential wasted again....

Now the Bad.....

I want to write everything this season but that's a bit too harsh. Lets start with the time jump though. Fear was way behind Walking, or it seems like it should be. Lets say Carl was 10 when it starts, I am going to say he was less but 10 we will work with and maybe 17 at death? So it is 7 years in and Morgan travelling lets say makes it almost 8. Fear was nowhere near that. I would say maybe a year? So they time jumped 7 years? How much happened in that time? I love the crossover idea BUT maybe it should have been a past crossover or something instead of just losing 7 years.

Maybe this ties into it but where is Daniel? Crazy Dog? Walker? Hell, the Proctors? The fact was season 3 ended awesome! But it was just written off. Again maybe it is the time jump but what happened to these guys? The first 3 were tough, so where did they go? And the Proctors? I doubt if you fucked them over so bad that the Proctors just gave up and went away....

Charlie. I wanted her dead. All I can hear in my head is Carol saying look at the flowers. She killed Nick, so maybe I have a vendetta against a child but I find it hard to believe his sister and girlfriend just said oh well. (I will say the Alicia & Charlie episode was pretty good though)

Madison died. Really?? She is no Nick but she was coming around to be a pretty good story. At this point Alicia is all that is left? Who woulda seen that coming after the first couple episodes. And Strand is still alive! I mean this might just be good writing to antagonize fans but this guy is a dick. He has never done much to help anyone but keeps limping on. I think it is a nod to Coleman what a great actor he is. I don't hate his as much as say Ramsay Bolton but man I don't like him.

I am 50/50 on the storytelling. Non Linear was cool but I think for effect, linear might have worked better. This might just be nit picking now but I think it lost its impact as the first half went on. We all knew something bad was coming but as you keep pushing it off it makes it have less of an impact. Nick was shocking but by the time you see Madison die, you're pretty sure it was coming.

The other new characters really aren't catching me either. June or whatever the hell her name is, well she's kinda boring. And treacherous, like she joins the vultures... Jimbo, Wendell & Sarah. Same issue, kinda boring oh and they left Morgan for dead. Sure these 3 ain't bad for comedy relief but that's about it. Like honestly how could Morgan trust them or them trust him after the whole leaving him to die.......

Martha, oh Martha. I love the crazy side of her. A villain with no bigger plans, no vision just some batshit cray cray! However is the second half titled forgiveness? She should be dead. Alicia should have killed her. She tried to gun down all her friends, but no just tie her up. Oh and of course she magically escapes that. Also she killed how many truckers? Lets get to the trucks next....

I wanna see Polar Bear. This dude seems like an alright guy but let's just be clear, totally, completely fake and we are talking a zombie show here! Some how years into the Apocalypse this guy still has trucks of supplies? Ya Negan is far away but how has no one else noticed him? Also his people keep dying on the Martha run, but he keeps sending them? Would he not maybe warn them or arm them? How did the vultures not find the trucks or hell even Madison? They just seem to be stretching reality thin and this is a zombie show we are talking about! ARGH!

THIS WHOLE RANT ABOVE IS BEFORE THE FINALE WHICH I AM ABOUT TO WATCH. MAYBE I WILL HAVE BETTER TO SAY SHORTLY.

It didn't help. for a finale it was pretty boring. Ya in the end it was nice to see Martha get a staff jammed through her head but seriously there is no need to keep helping her. Morgan could have left her but nope he had to go out and find her. The whole poison in the water was kinda cool, except I was pretty sure they weren't going to kill off the entire cast. So I wasn't really worried. And why couldn't they just drink it when it came pouring out the side? Seriously put your bucket under the leak and bingo! So yes I am not overly impressed with this season. So let's get to the very end, Morgan finds a denim factory and is going to use it as his "sanctuary" to "save" people? Really? Unless he becomes a power drunk Negan or the meet some pretty exceptional villains next season I might have to give up on this show...

Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo