Skip to main content

Getting old!!

I am old! I turned 37 a couple days ago. I celebrated by y going out for dinner with friends and their kids. Oh and I took out a library book and went to the farmers market. My 20th Birthday was a 4 day bender which had highlights like getting 20 some people kicked out of a bar on Whyte Ave. A female friend sleeping with a guitarist from a semi famous Canadian band at a rock concert and showing Twig and Berries to some random chicks on a balcony on Canada Day. I got a fit bit for my birthday which is a cool present but it to made me feel old. It is super neat how I can scan in what I eat and drink and it will count calories and junk for me but as I take my diabetic pill again I realize at 20 I would not have paid attention to that. My work has always given employees $25 o the Bday, it used to buy me a two-six. This year I bought fresh peas, carrots a starbucks coffee and a dog dish.

I realized also I have now lived in the Edmonton area for 18 years, 18! WTF! Now I moved here in 2000 planning on two years of journalism school and then to "live the dream" get my writing out there. Meet new and exciting people. I now work in the trades and right mostly for fun. I do have articles up at fansideseats.com if you ever wanna go read but that is the extent of my writing career. I was planning on A) Moving somewhere like L.A. where the world is constantly moving or B) Grande Cache a small little town where everyone says hello. I am in the Suburbs. So funny how the world plays out. At 37 my mother had a 21 year old son who had left to go to school, a 7 years old and a 5 year old with a very serious medical condition.... Not things I could see myself with at all. Oh and at 37 I am pretty sure that was when my grandpa became a grandpa for the first time. I have a dog who protects me from birds. So sometimes I sit back and play what coulda been. What if I had stayed in good ole GP. Well I woulda been there for the boom and I am almost 100% sure I would likely work for my parents. Would I be married and have a kid by now, I have a feeling I would. Not sure why but it just seems like it. BUT I would never had met all the people in my life now. I would never have had some of the stupid adventures I have had. What if I had stayed in journalism? Well the exact same thoughts come to me. I would not have met all the people I know now because I met 95% of them AFTER I dropped out. Would I even be working in journalism. Thats hard to say, the few people I saw after school weren't in it. So who knows maybe I would have still ended up in that lounge making food, talking with the guy who hired me on at my current job and the world would be the same except I would have an unused degree. Or I could have got a job and ended up in L.A or Grande Cache. All I know is sitting back and wondering is a waste of time. It is like when I spend the $60 million from the lotto in my head I never win.

Cajun house, a decent joint in St. Albert. That was were my birthday dinner was last night. I already yelped this but I will state it again. Yum, depending on what you get. I liked my meal. Never had frog legs before so I had to try, they were so so not amazing but I dunno what I really expected. The catfish was the same. Something I never had so I tried and it was okay. Now the Jambalaya was the bomb! I would go just for that again. It is pricey but I would say worth it. If you want a fairly nice meal in St. Albert give it a try. Now I heard a rumor that Louisiana Purchase is expanding onto the St. Albert Trail. If that is true Cajun house might have some competition....

Writing has been good for me, sort of. My Fanside stuff kinda took over for a bit. But I have to make an actual effort to work on my own stuff first. I finished y first novel and started editing it. I suck, much as I love to write I am terrible at editing and I find it so hard to do. I need to find focus and get it done. It would be pretty sweet to have something published one day. I haven't even blogged much recently.

The Witcher series had another book come out. Season of Storms. It is a decent read, but annoying that it doesn't follow up on the last book. Along with that I have been replaying old video games. Forgot how much I like Mafia 3, might finally get the DLC. Still need to finish Mein Kampf and the Satanic Verses. But like a dumbass I took out a library book.....

Its Canada Day, I very much want to get outside and do something but I need to get going soon as it looks like it is getting ugly out. I Wanna say as much as I worry about Canada and Politics and stuff, see my other articles for that..... I am a proud Canadian and I am happy I live here! Anyways just some random thoughts to get out. Have a happy Long Weekend everyone!

Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo