Skip to main content

2013

I should have finished 2012 with the move. No not me moving again, thank god but my work moving. We had long out grown our old building so we had a massive one built. The week between Xmas and New Years all we did was move. Now this was bad for me. With KT home a couple nights we sat and had drinks late. But because work was so slack I really didn't care. I think I had a week long hangover during that move. Plus the building wasn't finished so we had to use port potties. Let me tell you 40 people using 8 port potties for 5 days is nasty. Actually it got to the point we would just drive over to the timmies and get a coffee just to use the washroom.

2013 started out rough. KTs holiday for the Christmas break was winding down, in fact I think she was supposed to fly the next day or maybe the day after so we were going to go out and have a good bye dinner. She was running late but that was okay, I poured a drink and played some of the Arkham games Bugalow had gotten me for Xmas. I did start to get worried as it got later and she wasn't answering her phone. Then Amazing called me. KTs mother had passed away, her and Tats were going to stop by and get some clothes for KT. It came as shock to us all. The next week or so was pretty sad. We all went to the funeral Then a big table of KTs friends went for supper. It was a sad but good dinner. Silly little "beefs" had started between people and some people didn't get together as much anymore but for at least the one night we could all go out together. Just it was a shit reason to. The other thing was KT stayed here. She quit school in L.A, but she was staying with her dad so it was still just me and Diablo at the house.

Hockey was going great. If I am honest I was a 4th line guy on our team but we were winning and climbing up the div ladder. That's not important right this second but it will be later just to note.

Also another side note, there was to be 2 weddings this year. The Frenchman to Amazing and. TCM and The Goalie were also going to get married. I think it was about this time the invites for that came out.

We had the Frenchmans stag. It was awesome. First we went shooting, something I hadn't honestly done in years since I was out with Cowboy. I mean this time we were in the Wild West doing handguns but it was fun! Diablo some how got his hand cut on the .44 which made everyone laugh. Then we went to some lounge. Fun side story these two women come and sit down by Ditch. They ask what is going on with all these guys being here. Now these aren't normal women sitting at a pub they are 9s maybe 10s. It took a bit but I think the one finally out and out said we have a room upstairs in the fantasyland do you want to come. I had to laugh, pretty sure they were call girls. No one was interested but I had never had run into that before. We went to Shanks for a few hours and ended the night at St. Petes. I didn't make it to the Dennys at 4 AM with some of them but it was a good night! Of course the girls had a stagette but we were not involved in that.

Then came the actual wedding. Diablo drove us all to the airport, Amazing, Bugalow, Frenchman, myself. We were super early but that gave us all time to have breakfast and drinks as other friends rolled in. Somehow Candy got a bottle of Grey Goose on the plane. Amazing had her fill too. The first night was great we all went down to a bar, Candy ordered 40 shots which they started making until the boss came by and stopped the bartender. Then we wandered the grounds, place looked nice.
The next morning we signed up for activities. One day going to Xplore and one day going swimming with sea turtles then into a Cenote. Then that day went down hill. We all started around a pool that afternoon. And drinks flowed freely. Later Bugalow left along with most people but Bud and I kept drinking. I kinda forgot we had a dinner that night. It was not a good one, I did something pretty stupid that set off a huge fight. Drunk and frustrated I hit a concrete wall and I am guessing fractured my hand. Fun side note Bud went out with his girlfriend and may have puked all over her back. The next day we had our first excursion to Xplore. It was fun, probably would have been more fun if my hand didn't hurt so bad. We did the zip lines, the quading, the cave swims. It was a fairly nice day. I think the next day was just a chill day. Might have been that night we hit a few different "bars" on our resort. Tried all the different flavoured tequila. A group did go to the disco that night I think. We sat at the snack bar drinking and playing cards. Then I think it was the wedding, the next day. We didn't do much that day, hung around the pool and went to the ceremony in the PM. It was nice and ocean side. The dinner was around the pool, there was a ton of people. At one point the Frecnhman got "kidnapped" I didn't know about that tradition. I regret not telling the Imma win this bitch story (See earlier blog) Or at least some comment about them meeting because of a co-ed hockey team. The next day there was plenty of hungover people. I don't think anyone did anything except hangout at the beach. Want to say the next day was another beach day but to me it doesn't sound right. It was KTs birthday, we had a pinata and dinner in the main hall together. Then people went to a place called Coco Bongo that night. A big fancy bar there that looks like a lot of fun. Now Bugalow had no interest in going and I couldn't really afford it. Even though people were offering to pay. They all had a blast and showed up at my room at about 4 banging on the windows. I returned the favour at 7 when we were going to swim with turtles with Bud and Lish. But he didn't mind. I think he was still smammered. Turtles was a total waste, I couldn't swim my hand was fucked. And using borrowed goggles that you have to spit in is nasty!. I bought my own when I came home! The cenota was cool cool. Those dark black abysses are crazy though. I noticed I swam faster over them. The next day was flight home.

My brother Biggs was supposed to graduate this spring. Wait let me start with I don't wanna be one of those parents..... Bitchin at the teacher and school when the kids don't do well. I know my brother made me look like a saint. I am pretty sure I missed the max school you can and not have it affect you. Biggs missed way more than me and for that he would not have enough credits to graduate. So his grad came and we drove up for the weekend. The first night my brother was not allowed to be in the cap and gown ceremony. Which I am fine with. The sad fact was he didn't finish. The next day my parents let Biggs bring his friends out. They have a large property, that is great for pictures by the fountains or the woods or whatever. Plus there is plenty of washrooms for the girls to get ready in. My dad BBQd burgers and I used the deep fryer to make home cut french fries for them all. Biggs asked me to shotgun a beer at 10 AM but I had to turn that down. The had a nice little pre-party at my parents. We all went in for the Grand March ceremony and then he went to safe grad afterwards. We had to go Sunday so I didn't see him again that weekend but my guess was he had a rather large hangover. Now what my bitching is, is this. During the grand march when everyone looks all pretty, they announce the class. They wouldn't say his name he was just his date "and guest" I don't agree with that. He may not finish but he is part of that class so I think his name should be said. The other part is they say people who may not grad. My brother was a no but the school had even said there were other kids who if they didn't score well on finals would also be a no but those names were called. I get it for the cap and gown. BUT for just the grand march when other people "might" (LIKELY. If your doing that bad are you really gonna ace the finals?) they still get called. To me that is wrong. Either all or none. Maybe that is just a brother upset that his brother is getting a raw deal but to me it is just right. Of course he did get his GED the next semester. If nothing else I think that might have been a wake up kick in the butt for him.

Life carried on that way for awhile, that boring way I mean adults do. Sleep, work, eat, repeat. I don't know what cause me and Diablo to have this night of drinking but let me tell you about it. See Diablo lived in the basement and I lived upstairs we drove to work together but at the end of the day like I said he often just went downstairs and I sat upstairs. I think we maybe watch True Blood together but that was about it. Unless Amazing came over then he came to visit. But the night before my 32nd birthday I was just sitting having a drink when I am not sure if he came upstairs or I went downstairs but in the end, I said have a drink with me. Well we finished my vodka. We did tequila shots, there was a few beer that I think the Frenchman had left so we had them to. In my mind I learnt more about Diablo than I had in the prior year living with him and the 3 before working with him. I was laying in bed when the doorbell rang. I woke up and was freaking out. I was super late for work. I ran to answer the door and Bugalow was standing there with a gift in her hand. WTF? are you doing here I asked and ran in the house to get ready. Its Saturday, she said. Then I remember she was right and a wicked hangover came crashing in. WTF did you do last night? She asked? It was Diablo he was drinking up here. I said I dunno why. Right she said holding up two shot glasses, two vodka glasses. I started laughing, clearly I failed at lying. She saw through me, we all had breakfast when Bugalow noticed a pug running up and down the street. I called him over and he was super friendly. We put him in the backyard to keep him off the road. Figured soon his owner would come looking. The day carried on and more people came for a bbq for my birthday. The black pug we named Whitey loved it. Everyone played with him but he never ran out of energy. It was a tamer night, I think we were all in bed by 1ish. I had said leave Whitey in the back entrance. I will get him a blanket and junk but I didn't think KT would want a strange dog in her house. She really likes animals but I didn't know him and wouldn't want him to get her dog sick. No one listened though. I think he slept in a bed in the basement with Bud. I had told the neighbour about the dog in case anyone came looking. Finally the next day someone did. They took him from our backyard. I was kinda sad. Had Monday come I was taking him to the SPCA but asking if I could be the first person to adopt. The next weekend we walked by and found where he lived. The lady thanked us. And I never did see Whitey again....

This changed stuff with Diablo and me though. Like now he hung out everyday. I got him "hooked" on the NHL video games. By that I mean I think he played them cause I would sit and play for hours and watching me was probably boring. Other than Tuesdays when Bugalow came over and maybe one night on the weekend we wanted to be alone. I was always hanging out with Diablo. Now this was fun but also a bit bad. Diablo cant hold his liquor well. So a few mornings we went in pretty stinky. I guess I can hide it but he couldn't very well. Was a bit snappy with customers the day after, nothing terrible but I know a few people noticed that.

Bugalow got a full time job. After she gave up n her Education degree. See my last entry for my rant on that but not getting full time work and wanting to start a career she moved on to an office out in Morinville. Said she liked the people out there a nice small town feel.

August long came, it was a big deal for two reasons. First was TCM and Goalie wedding. Ill get to that. Second was our hockey team was invited to play in provincials. I realize in reality it is nothing. At the end of the weekend, even if you win provincials as grown men you still have to go back to your job Tuesday. You not going to the NHL, just back to your desk or tools or whatever. For me though this was a thrill. As a kid I played soccer, never passed a rec league never in tournies. So we were playing against the best in Alberta. We won our first game Friday night. I think I even had a point on the fourth line. After the game Cook, Bud and I are leaving when the captain pulled me aside. Hey we really wanna win this would you mind sitting out the rest of the games if our subs come through. As long as a player had played a minimum of a quarter the regular season they were eligible to play in provincials. I was dumb struck, but said ya. I wasn't planning on playing the 3 Saturdays games anyways cause of the wedding. I was pissed but went out for a drink with the guys. conveniently that night we met with another guy who had a team.

Anyways the wedding happened. It was a good time. Tats actually did the ceremony in the AM. Then we had a break. We were all super classy and went to a trailer in the Walmart parking lot for midday drinks. Now as we are sitting here some hutterites walked by. They wanted to know if we wanted pies. Hell ya we bought pies and ate them in the parking lot. The dinner and dance was good. It was very strange to me at some points. I mean this was the first time I had seen TCMs family in a couple years but for the most part they are good people and it was like visiting old friends you haven't seen in years. The only crappy thing was the bathrooms had a lineup. I ended up letting a couple women use the guys before me cause they had to go. They bought me a drink though so that worked out. The funny thing was the next day they opened presents and Goalies sister was shocked we had given them a gift, Goalie said why? They were here last night.  Then it was figured out the girl who was shocked we were at the wedding was the same girl who bought me a drink for letting her in the washroom.

The captain of my team called and said hey can you play Sunday? A big part of me wanted to say fuck you but I also really wanted to play. So I said yes. It was the first elimination game and we were tied in OT. An error by the other teams D let me have a single shot on a break away. I would love to lie and say I buried it. I didn't, I did pick a corner but the goalie gloved it. Nothing would have made me happier than to bring the winning goal to the bench but this is reality not a Mighty Duck movie. A shift later I was sitting on the bench and watched them score on us. Eliminating us. It was the last game I played for these guys. They didn't ask me back. I don't think they asked Bud back either. Cook I am not sure but I told him about being asked to sit and he came with us to, to a new team with the guy I had met during the tourny. I guess Bud knew him, so the Goalie and one of his friends came to.

This will be my last hockey rant. It may come of racist. It isn't, it is simply the observations I have had after a decade of co-ed and men's league ball hockey. (So not even real ice hockey) The team we went to was down in the divs again. Mostly Asian and we were not very good. The couple of team we could beat, we beat every time. But more often than not we got beat. We had the speed and skill up front BUT not the strength back on D to win games. Right of the hop we were split up. I played the first couple games with Cook and we actually got a bunch of points. So they split us up. One guy on my line told me I should be setting him up, after I scored. Usually, good shot is what you say not hey you should have given that to me. Same thing a game later when I tapped one in. It would have missed the net but I tapped it in. Then the guy said just leave it, that should be my shot. Cook couldn't handle it. The next season he moved back to the old team in higher div. They were happy to have him. We played a couple more seasons but Bud started to hate the lack of D. So did the goalie. As they quit so did I. The fact was they went back to our first team. I subbed in Co-ed and then even that died off. But hey if you have a team I am waiting!!!! As a sad side note Cook and that team (The good one) played against our first team. (The one that "cut" us as they were going places) and lit them up it was plus 10 goals they beat them by. Guess they didn't get that far....

Men's league is supposed to be non-contact but some how Cook suffered a broken collar bone. It is not non-contact. Given time and space our last team was great offensively and we were faster than most but your not often given time and space. Also I found Asian teams don't play as "big". There are no Chris Pronger style guys or they are few and far between. Don't get me wrong I can almost guarantee every team has a scrappy guy willing to go for those teams but they usually aren't as physical a team as some. Now Native teams are the opposite. They usually are very scrappy. But good. There was one team that utterly dominated us in the higher divs that was from a local reserve. Not only were they talented but in no way could you push them around or the push back was insane. The only thing I didn't like was the race card being used. In one argument with the ref someone said idiot and they heard something else so then it became a racial thing. Then there is the Southside. I am going to say there are a few brown teams from there. A mix between Asian and Native. They usually are very fast and good with space but seem to love getting into physical battles. Also seem to forget it is only a game. Have heard more than once we can take this outside. No really we can't its hockey. Have seen the police called because well, they did take it outside. Last there is the whites. I have a friend who says men playing ball hockey just can't skate. For me that true, I do think for a few people its true but not all. These teams are a mixed bag, of all other. Like me, in truth I think I am more like the Asian teams. Give time and space I am good, but easy to push around. Some are talented, some want nothing more than to scrap. Some people actually think secretly scouts are in the stands. Sometimes the fat guy I think I can out run is in way better shape than me. But that's it. My hockey days are maybe behind me. I mean we still do play on and that might come up but for now......

Tats moved in, Diablo was still in the basement and KT was spending more and more time back at her house plus myself and two big dogs. It was getting a bit crowded. I didn't mind but it sure was a change from when it was just me. So Bugalow says lets get a place. A rental the two of us. She had been working and had a good steady income so I said ya sure. Now at first we looked at rentals and I think it was a shock to her how much they were. She had never lived outside of her parents. So then she looked into a mortgage. That was depressing with my bad credit, 0 savings and her tiny work history the amount they would lend MIGHT get a small apartment condo. And into another side rant.....

I hear millenials are lazy, hipster douche bags. Can't totally disagree but I will say the game is rigged against them. Actually hell I would say all the way back to late 70/80s babies the game is rigged. Unless A) your family can help OR B) you get a very good paying job. I get that you have to work and save for anything. And that a house is your single biggest purchase in life. However how can you save and live today? I get it, had I started way back when Ditch and I moved I might have something but I was dumb ass. Within a few years of that though EVERYHING sky rocketed. A $600 apartment became easily $1000. So your telling me people starting out even at a decent job somehow can afford $1000 minimum rent. Plus likely a car payment / and insurance. For say another $300. Throw $200 utilities (lets say this covers everything including internet and cable / netflix in there, though I doubt it). Now food, even what would be IMO low $50 a week so $200 / month. That means just living costs $1700 a month. That's basics, Now that car needs gas IF your lucky and live close to everything you need $30 a week so $120 a month. Next lets just put a $100 for incidentals. Like your oil changes a couple times a year and all those fun little things that pop up. Life starting out costs $1920 / month. That's with out even going out once you can easily add a couple hundred if you go for a single meal and say the movies. So just to make it easy lets say $2000 / month is the cost of life. With all that IMO when you are starting out if you manage to save a couple hundred bucks a month, your doing good. Now to get 10% down on even $175,000 would take 8 years. Oh and that didn't include if you went to school cause now you have loan to pay back. Plus I left out credit card debt. So easy to accumulate, so very very hard to get rid of. And heaven help you if you have a kid. Right now we have a generation growing up that cannot afford to buy homes. I would say it is 50/50 with my circle on who actually owns homes and how they got them. Some with help, some with dumb luck (like winning a down payment!) and some working to get it. So ya there is that rant, the world is starting to set people up for failure. Nothing good will come from that. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that.

SO after that side rant the whole point was Bugalows parents didn't want her (us) pissing away $$$. From 2000-2014 on the low end I spent $92,000 just in rent. That money went into someone else pockets. It could easily be as high as $134,000. Wrap your head around those numbers. Imagine if you could get half, hell a quarter of it back. They made some deal about helping her out with it. Then hunt began. We looked all over North Edmonton and St. Albert. The fact was there wasn't much out there and what was decent wasn't from the last 20 years or so where quality and craftsman ship has been traded in to save a few $$$. Don't get me wrong, I love what I would call a 90s home. Big and open but those are currently out of my price range, or at least the big ones I am thinking about. The fact was we did find a good one. The other fact was it was literally a block away from Bugalows current home. Once the deal was done I told my roommates.

I told Diablo, KT and Tats come the New Year I would be moving. It was mixed responses. Diablo was not happy. KT well I would say she was mixed. I think she liked me as a roommate and didn't want me out but I think she knew we couldn't live together forever. Tats I think was fine with it, she was planning to move upstairs.

That New Years was a quiet one again. Chad and Dutchman had been living together again with Dutchmans girlfriend for awhile but Chad he was moving home again. I don't know the full story on this one to be honest. But we went and picked Chad up that night. We went out for a few drinks and a visit, the next morning he was getting on a greyhound back out East. I think that might have been the first New Year I was in bed before midnight.

And so we run into the final Blogs. I am not sure it might be just one for the last couple years, since I have blogged a crap ton since moving in here or it may take two. Either way.........

Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo