Skip to main content

Open letter to none Oil based Canada

Hello Canada,

Picture me in a nice house coat sitting in front of my laptop sipping a warm coffee writing to all of you. I would rather not have to write this but the thing is I am tired of hearing how our province, Alberta is the devil. Also I am pretty tired of hearing my province divided. So in my house coat even though I am only 34 I will kindly explain whats wrong with all this like a grand father to children. Or Yoda as he is pretty f'ing wise.

So lets start with the broken province, my home Alberta. Lets be honest 44 years in power was an amazing feat. AND you cant say that was all on good times because many who live here remember when times weren't great (The 80s. It wasn't just bad music, movies and blow. The economy did suck!) SO for argument sake lets say the PC were doing something right. You don't stay in democratic government for 44 years by doing wrong. I am way to lazy to look it up but in a REAL democracy I think that might be a record! Now lets also be honest, in the end the old dog needed put down. The arrogance and sense of entitlement was ridiculous. What also is astounding is were did the $$$ go? A red hot economy and right how we are broke, how in hell does that happen?? For all the seemingly brain dead moves the NDP have done so far we cant blame them for the past they had what 3 seats before? It is a moot point if you love them or hate them the PC were in power for 44 years and helped get us in this mess.

Then come the NDP. I like you guys, you're young, idealistic, social media savvy. I am going to stick to my statement on social media. It is the way of the future, it got more voters out voting because twitter told them to. (This is a good and bad thing. People should be voting! People shouldn't be voting based on Internet memes) That's half the reason you won the election. Now here is the problem, your clueless. You're 19 year old me in the bar trying to pick up a 35 year old "cougar". You seem to not understand Alberta, we are oil. This may or may not be a good thing but it is our life blood. We are farmers, ya we have a hillbilly image because a good portion of Albertans kinda are like that. (A lot of people like hunting, fishing, offroading)  I don't want to break down into name calling BUT this is all I will say. NDP was voted in by people tired of the PC (In the smaller cities and rural areas.) and by young urban hipsters who think this rapid growth was done by magic. No it was done by countless hours of people working day and night. To all the latte drinking people who have never seen or been in the north were work goes 24 hours you need to give your head a shake. Your Starbucks is a trickle down from guys working 20 days in a row making money and bringing it home to spend.

Anyways last thing on the division in this province all you people doing it JUST STOP! Ezra Levant, you had a great idea a watch dog group keeping an eye on the government. BUT WTF man. You have resorted to taking grains of truth and writing tall tales (The boy who cried wolf). You're not helping the right, you're dividing it even more! In fact the whole Wildrose party is a joke until the right is united with a sensible party, the NDP will be free to run the province. Dave Beninger you are a clown to, the NDP isn't always right and the right wing isn't always evil corporate men plotting to hold people down. All you extremists are the reason this province is in shambles right now. Cant we all just find a happy middle ground. No oil wont be here for ever and we should be looking into other money streams. BUT no we shouldn't bite the hand that feeds. There is 0 reason not to develop what we have and use it to make the province better for us all.

After all that long winded ranting the real reason to write is for the REST of Canada. I am now wearing a cape made outta the flag of Alberta. To all of you "environmentalist" be it in B.C to Quebec who are whining about what goes on in Alberta just shut up. If you actually open your eyes the damage being done to the world in Alberta isn't even a drop in the bucket. Don't get me wrong, NO damage is good damage but are you happy to use your cellphone? Drive your car? You do realize the price of that right? Oil. Unlike many other oil producers Albert / Canada has tons of human rights's for workers AND environmental laws to fix damages done and not do too much damage!! BUT people insist on posting pictures from the 70s and 80s making Fort Mac look like Mordor rather than Alberta! Please before you rant and rave about us killing the world look at the big picture.

Second, the money. Dear old Ezra might be behind it but social media has been kicking around something into the billions has been taken out of Alberta (In the last few years alone and this has been going on for decades) and given, that's right just handed to other provinces. I don't see any other provinces complaining when our wealth is redistributed amongst our country. Ya know what, I wont even complain about it! At the end of the day we are all part of the greatest country in the world and being kind and generous are very Canadian values. Wanna know what grows resentment and alienation? When people complain about us! Why would Alberta as a whole wanna help out people who think we are dumb, environment killing rednecks? People who say we deserve to be broke after working for a decade and helping out this whole country. When we have a bust, no one jumps to help us. People are quick to blame and laugh at us, how quickly they forget the billions freely given.....

Last though and this is my real issue with the rest of Canada, is the thought we deserve it. That's just fucking moronic. Yes some people made a lot of money here. Do you know the cost of living in Fort Mac? Yes for sure some peoples "eyes were bigger than their belly" So to speak. Some younger guys, hell some middle aged people pissed away a ton of money and now are in debt with 0 income and that really sucks for them. Hopefully it is lesson learned and they can rebuild. But here is were people are getting just plain rude and stupid. What about those who didn't? What about the people forced into huge mortgages on average homes? The people who are just trying to provide for a family to have an average life? They deserve this because you are jealous they were making big bucks? If you haven't been out here let me paint a picture for you. Oil people don't get a 9 - 5. It runs 24 / 7 365. That hundred plus grand a year comes at the cost of having a parent gone, weeks on end. Missing important events. Going to work at 3 or 4 AM when 9 - 5ers are tucked away cozy in bed. It isn't an easy life, so ya being able to get away with the family is a deserved holiday. And people aren't complaining about the life, yes we chose to live that life. What about the rest of us?? I mean I come from a family that is in the oil game and has been for decades now. I am not, I am in construction and not a tradesman making big bugs just a counter guy. By stats Canada I make almost 20 g's less than the average Canadian. When oil slows down, my business slows right down. Do I deserve to be broke? What about the waitresses, retail clerks and barristas out here who lose their jobs when oil goes tits up? Do they deserve to suffer? And what about all the other Canadians who came to this province to work?  Until you have lived it you have no right to comment. Being petty and jealous aren't really Canadian values, so until you have a clue what your talking about just keep quiet.

Thanks,
Yours Truly.

Tavis and most of Alberta!

Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo