Skip to main content

Tanglewood, the opening

(Ladies and gentlemen good evening! Or good whatever time of the day it is when you read this. The following is my opening to a project possibly called The Tanglewood trilogy. A first person crime drama telling the story of a young mans rise in both the business and criminal world. His thoughts and feelings in doing both good and bad things. It is my first time sharing my writings. Over the next few months I would to share a few of my openings if you know me send me a message your thought good or bad. Thanks again for taking the time to read. Now without further adieu or whatever...)

Mabius Way, although in a high end neighbourhood, was well known to police. Mabuis way was a cul-de-sac with various doctors, lawyers and other wealthy residence. The very center house was a 4000 sq ft split level. That was the house that was known to police. It had been converted into the Marauders MC club house. The Marauders are an international MC, known as a 1% club. Along with drugs and women they were well known killers. Over the last 15 years they had grown in the city from a few hoods on bikes to the second most dominate criminal organization in the city. A wrought iron fence had been built around the clubhouse. Over the years both neighboring houses had been purchased by the MC. The left lot had been changed into an outdoor parking space and the right was one of the biggest garages in the city. Yesterday it was a thing of beauty. Today the house was a half burnt out shell. The garage also looked torched, but on the bright side the lot with the bikes still looked nice and the custom built black and red mail box was still standing out front.

Captain Alvin Clark stood on the driveway watching the fire inspectors and detectives sifting through the wreckage. Alvin Clark looked like what he wanted to be, a mayor. Over 50 a bit of a belly hidden by a well cut shirt under a very expensive jacket. His dark hair was in a comb over, he worried that he would have stubble, this case had him up and going before he planned, no chance to shave. 7 dead bikers. 5 more injured. 3 more known MC members were missing. It was the biggest mass murder in an already violent cities history. On top of that a dozen more low level wannabe bikers had been beaten half to death through out the city. David Clinton was the head of the O.C. division. Meaning he mostly worked biker and Russian mob cases as they were by far the most dominate groups in the city. Clinton did not look like the head of an OC division. He was meek, small. Barely over 5 feet and a baby face. He looked much more like a first year law student than a lawyer who had gone on too run countless successful OC cases. Clark respected his opinions. “So Dave, Russians?” Clark took a long slug off coffee as Clinton walked up the drive. “Would almost have to be. Who else would dare?” “True, but why? Last you said peace had been in place for years.” “Well sir, that’s the question.”

“Hate to disagree but this wasn’t the Ice Queen. This was Jacob Night and the Tanglewood crew.” Colin Atkins said coming from the smoking ruins. Colin was the head of the “gang” unit. Atkins looked like he would be hunted by his unit more than run his unit. He was over 6 feet of muscle. Long blonde hair in a pony tail and tattoos up and down his arms. Clark valued his thoughts when it came to street thugs but no street gang in Clarks would dare a stunt like this.

“Night again eh?” Clinton laughed. “You really think that guy is the boogey man.” Atkins ignored Clinton and continued. “Didn’t I warn you 2 months ago this was coming?” It did ring true in Clarks head. Jacob Night had been found left for dead, the hospital didn’t think he would pull through. Yet a month later he was released. Night was a mid level drug dealer who controlled a small chunk of the city. Atkins had come and warned a war was brewing but Clinton had laughed it off.
“Foot soldiers don’t bite the hands of generals Atkins.” Clinton said smugly looking at Atkins over again.
“See Clinton, that’s the fucking thing you’re making the same mistake the MC did. Jacob ain't a foot solider. Night controls all of Tanglewood, everything. Sure he says he does it for the MC but he has long out grown being a toady.”

Clark took another long slug and deeply breathed in the smoky air. Was Atkins right was Jacob Night a true up and coming gangster or was Clinton right, the Russians were declaring a war. “Alright Colin, what proof do you have first that Night is more than a two bit dope pusher and second that he has any sort of power to do this.”
Atkins opened his mouth to start but Clinton cut him off. “None. He isn’t even a hang around with the MC.”
“Zip it Clinton, Atkins this is your one chance.” Clark said, he tossed is empty coffee cup into a pile of ash.

“Fine, first off can you admit Night is the leader of the Tanglewood crew?” Atkins waited, Clinton nodded yes, he did throw an eye roll in, Atkins carried on.

“Can you admit roughly 10 years ago 3 gangs fought for control of Tanglewood?” Atkins asked, annoyed he had to do this step by step.

“I can admit that the Marauders consolidated their drug network yes.” Clinton replied.

“Fine, whatever you want to call it. Will you give me they left Night in charge?” Atkins asked.

“Sure.” Clinton said, circling his hands in a get on with it motion.

“Well then, lets go to Nights hangout and if you don’t smell something funny I will hand in my badge.” With that the three cops hopped into an unmarked car and sped toward the Night Cat grille and lounge.

It was about noon when I had the cooks whip up some pizzas. The front staff I had given a couple weeks off. I kept two cooks on because everyone has to eat and they both were small time runners. If shit hit the fan they would stand up. They wanted more than anything to be made into the Tanglewood crew, my crew. As I figured Jim “Jimmy” Rask was the first cop to show up, while I tried to enjoy brunch. He completely ignored the closed for renos sign and came into the pub. Jimmy I had known most of my life. Officer block head kids had called him growing up. He had been in the army and it showed. Everything on him was clean and smooth. His greying hair was always so closely cropped I bet you could measure it. I was trying to enjoy a whiskey and some pizza, it had been a long night and I kinda figured I deserved it, Jimmy didn’t care. He plopped down across from me.

“So you needed to start World War 3 hey?” I took a drink and stared at him. He is a good cop, or I think he is. Jimmy knows guys like me are always going to be around. So it is best to make things work. I mean he could be a hard ass, he could take down half my crew but for what. So some lowlife pimp can take my territory? We worked out a system which both of us are happy with. I don’t cross certain lines and he does what he can to make sure my boys don’t end up in jail. On top of that if he needs something done that might not fall in his abilities I help him out. No money ever changes hands, he isn’t “on the take”. I do have guys like that but Jimmy well he is just a decent human being.

“Help yourself Jimmy. Or can I make ya something” I said as he took a slice off my plate.

 “Well I figured it was a dinner date since you don’t wanna talk.” Jimmy said between bites.

“What would make you think I know about some war? You want a beer?” I asked.

“Nah shift starts in 2 hours. And my guess you know is based on the fact you have a small army set up.” I give him that. I had 2 guys on the roof, they had scopes and supposedly could hit a bird two blocks away. Also I had 5 cars with 3 guys each set up with in two blocks. Jimmy being local would have noticed. Plus I had the two cooks and Victor behind the bar.

“Well you knew it was coming. Or you cant see the sling I am still wearing?” I asked pointing to my left arm. I hadn’t really need the sling for weeks but it seemed like a good cover.

“So you getting roughed up is worth 7 men's lives?” He asked, then he took a drink from my drink.

“If you think a beat down is all this is about my friend you are slipping, and if it happened to you I would do the same thing for an old friend.” I said taking my cup back and having a slug. He clearly was trying to push my buttons

“Jacob, I don’t need details but I do know what you have done is going to have far reaching effects. Tanglewood hasn’t had a large body count in a decade. Now I fear the streets will run red.” I wouldn’t tell him but I had my worries of the same thing. First piece of advise in life. Be confident, people can see self doubt. Then they will doubt you so never give them a reason to. That is for more than just gangsters to, my old man told me that about any walk of life.

“Jimmy, I got this. NO one else is going to die.” I still had plans which might have a few more bodies drop. But he didn't need to know that

“Really?? Cause the latest I hear half a dozen charters are headed toward us. And National VP GabrielleMcGrath is due in at the airport this afternoon.” Then he finished my drink.

“Well Jimmy it might be best if you had a check stop before they hit town. I am sure that will detour a few of them. After that I can deal with the ones entering the city.” I said staring at my now empty glass. Shoulda got him a beer, I thought looking at my empty glass. Vic must have read my mind cause he filled it while we talked.

“What part of no more bodies did you miss?” He spread his hands in a questioning motion

“I promise 0 murders.” Hollow promises..

“Jacob come one now…” He wasn’t able to finish his sentence a walkie went off.

“Hey boss 3 cops out front.” It was one of the snipers, sadly I didn’t remember his name.

“And with that, I will head out the back. I will give you road blocks and 3 days. After that Jake you’re on your own.” With that Viktor walked Jimmy out the back and in walked the trio.

Deputy Chief Alvin Clark, the politico. Police work isn’t really Alvins thing. Being mayor is. But from what I heard he is un buyable. He doesn’t care who gets busted as long as he is in the paper with credit. Gotta say he dresses well, I liked his suit. Detective David Clinton, the real cop. The current head of the OC unit. I have never been “big” enough to hit is radar. The Russian mobsters and the bikers are all he has ever cared about.  And my long time enemy Colin Akins, detective and head of the gang unit. Colin has to watch over all the street gangs in the city. Not the big players, he is to ignore the bikers but watch the street guys for them. And the Russians well that’s not his deal.

“Gentlemen we are closed.” I said holding up my glass.

“Jackie, just a few questions about a blood bath.” Atkins smiled and sat down. He knows I hate that name. In fact no one calls me Jackie but he does trying to piss me off.

“Well as a purveyor of pizzas and a night club owner dunno why I would know about that.” I replied and then Clinton slapped my glass out of my hand. It hit the ground and chipped but didn’t shatter. I frowned at it. Like I said I rarely deal with this little man but I had to keep cool. Last thing I wanted today was trouble with the legit law.   

“Cut the shit. I have a huge body count and I know your behind it.” Both his fists hit the table and he stared me down like an interrogation room.

“Easy Wiggum” Came a sing song voice from the kitchen. Cory “Crash” my oldest friend called as he walked into the lounge. Clinton stared him down. Crash was wearing his MC cut, he was VP of the Head Hunters MC and because they were a direct puppet club for the Marauders Clinton was well aware of Crash.

“Shouldn’t you be with your brothers?” Clinton asked, it was a fair question. Crash smiled,

“I am. We are getting  food for the boys. My friend Jake here heard about the tragedy and is trying to help out.”

I nodded yes. “If there is anyway, any of us can help we will.” I said to Clark. Unlike the two real cops he might not know the history between me and the MC’s.

“I will have this whole city on lock down. Whoever did this will not be getting away with it.” Clark said quietly. “This wasn’t a single person. It was a group. And that group will be dismantled.” He was pointing at me. “Know that this is all the police will be working on.” With that he stood and motioned toward the door. Clinton kept staring me down as they left.

One of the guys on the roof told me the first words from Clarks mouth was “Atkins look into this hard. He may not be the one who did it but he is way to comfy”  

“Atkins knows.” Vic said from behind the bar. Vic took a big slug of vodka, I hated when he drank the top shelf stuff. I was trying to run a legit business.

“I figured he would. I just doubted the others would follow him. But Crash being here must make them question if it was us. I doubt they saw that betrayal coming” I said picking up the glass.

“So what does that do to the plan?” Crash asked. Taking the bottle from Vic and taking a slug. “You two couldn't even use glasses? And it changes nothing, we go talk to the man in the cooler and send our message.”

I said placing the glass on the bar and walking into the back kitchen area. Crash and Victor followed.

Like most kitchens there was a long stainless steel counter. Unlike most kitchens a sawzall, a circ saw and a laptop sat on the counter. I opened the walk in cooler and there was the other difference. A fat man was in cuffs chained to the roof. He spit at me the second we walked in. Without a word Victor hit him in the mouth. I am guessing that was at least 2 teeth out. Crash was turning the laptop on. “We need better wi fi here.” Crash complained as he hummed a song I couldn’t place, I want to say it was a childrens rhyme.

“Your dead Night. And so are you 2. The MC will cut you all up.” Misplaced confidence from the fat man after he spit blood on the floor. I was wrong 3 teeth were in there.

“Here we go, this mornings news!” Crash said with triumph in his voice. He then turned the laptop toward the man in shackles.

The news anchor sat in front of a still picture of the burned out clubhouse. I watched his face, it dropped. “In what is being described as the worst mass murder in the cities history at least 7 men were killed in an attack on the Marauders MC clubhouse. Gun fire and explosions rocked the neighbourhood. However no innocent bystanders were hurt. It is unclear whether numerous assaults that occurred around the city on low level drug dealers is tied to this attack. The police have no comment yet.” Crash paused it at that. “She is hot, like I would tape us fucking if I was with her.” Crash said to no one in particular.

I had grabbed a squeegee and was leaning on it. “Look Scott, I really have no worries about the MC. But you should look around and maybe be worried. For instance that drain in the middle of this cooler is for water. Usually we use the squeegee once a year to get it nice and clean.” I said tapping the drain with the squeegee.

“BUT, today we are going to see if blood drains as well!” Crash smiled and sang. He gave the sawzall a push and it screamed to life.

“We have a bet Crash and I. Will his saw or my circ saw cut through your fat ass better?” I said squatting down in front of him.

“I think he is pissing himself” Victor said pointing it out to me with a head nod. Crash started laughing,

“Please don’t shit! I don’t think squeegees clean that.” Crash taunted.

I smiled. “See Scott I was reading online. If you turn someone upside down. The blood rushes to the head. Then even if you saw them up they stay alive for awhile. They don't bleed out or some shit. Hurts a lot but keeps them around to enjoy it.” I jabbed Scott in his belly with the handle. Then I grabbed his chin in one hand. I looked him in the eyes.

My next words were barely above a whisper. “There it is, the fear. Two months ago when you had me strung up like this, I don’t think I had the fear. I didn’t piss myself. In fact I think you’re a fake. The MC made you cause your great with money. You know people and they want some cover boy in the business world. You don’t have the stomach for this end of the world.” I let go of his face and his chin hit his chest. He burst out crying. 

“But Scotty that saved you today. I remember every blow that hit me, everything they did. You watched but did nothing. So today you get to keep breathing. I mean you don’t get off free, but you stay alive” I cracked him in the bridge of nose. I knew it was broken. Actually I admit it kinda hurt my hand.

“You are going to carry a message for me to your brothers coming into my city.” Victor smashed a fist into his ribs. For sure at least a few were cracked.

“You can tell them they have 2 choices. They can calm down and we can meet and talk about a future for us all. OR we can have a war. Now they might want a fight. With all the numbers in their favour they might even think they could win. But I want you to let them know I know they booked out that fleabag Sunrise motel. I know what highway they are riding in on. In fact I know a second group is trying to sneak in on a back highway. The only reason they are even getting this close is so we can talk. And when you talk to your remaining brothers here ask them how things are? Seems like no one came to their aid last night. Yet I had an army at my back. Also ask your other brothers riding into town who is guarding their homes right now? As they are rushing here, I have people visiting other club houses.” None of this was a lie, it was about time to show some cards.

Victor threw a punch into his other ribs. “Also today I found out your national VP is coming here. I could take him out at the airport but that would start a real war. And he may be the only one of you fucks with a brain for peace. So go and tell your brothers we really need to chat.”

With that I unhooked his cuffs, he collapsed on the ground. “Look Scotty, this ain't a game for you to be in. I recommend you hang the biker cut up and walk away cause next time your not leaving here in one piece.” Crash gave him a kick in the ass He started quickly crawling toward the door.

“Vic take Scotty and drop him off the Sunrise. He can pass on the message. Take a few guys with you.” Victor practically dragged Scott out the back door.

“Crash get everyone together. It has to be outta sight though. Call the Ice Queen I cant wait to listen to her explode on me. Also I wanna know when they get here and I want eyes on Sunrise at all times. Everyone armed to the teeth. But do not move on them.” Crash smiled and gave me a salute. Then he turned on his heels and goose stepped out the back door.

I walked back into the lounge and sipped my drink. I had the best laid plans. But I was about to find out if I had as loyal people as I thought and if I was as smart as I thought. The whiskey went down smooth. I had my family out of town, they were safe. I had taken a gamble and kicked the shit out of a hornets nest. Within the week I would be one of the top dogs or a corpse.

Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo