Skip to main content

Hangover season... for superhero's

So this blog is unpolished, unedited. I just wanted to write some fun stuff between blogs on serious issues. I have been listening to audio books that are draining as well, interesting but not fun... Art of War, The Prince, 48 Laws of power. So this is just a quick fun one... Anyways I will start it

Dear Mr. Feige....

With 3 or 4 streaming services, I still find myself falling back and watching classics like Daredevil and Punisher and starting the millionth rewatch of the Infinity Saga. Just watching the first couple Iron Man and Cap America 1, a person becomes painfully aware how bad the MCU phase 4 and 5 have been. Don't get me wrong, there has been a few highlights. Spiderman had cameos we all loved. Dr Strange I personally liked even though the working title should have been "No Wanda, don't! Bad!" 

PAUSE. STOP.

I was going to start bitching about how the overall product of the MCU has gone downhill. Then I started to think how many stinkers the Infinity Saga had as well, so I am going to test out a theory

IronMan 1 - 9/10                    Spidey 2 - 6/10

IronMan 2 - 7/10                    Black Widow 6/10

Thor 1 - 6/10                           Shang Chi - 6/10

Cap 1 - 9/10                            Eternals - 5/10

IronMan 3 - 6/10                    Spidey 3 - 7/10 

Thor 2 - 5/10                            Dr Strange - 7/10

Cap 2 - 10/10                            Thor 4 - 5/10

Guardians 1 - 8/10                    Black Panther 2 - 7/10

AntMan - 6/10                            Antman 3 - 6/10

Cap 3 - 10/10                            Guardians 3 - 8/10

Dr Strange - 6/10                        Wanda Vision - 8/10

Guardians 2 - 6/10                    F and WS - 7/10

Spidey 1 - 7/10                        Loki - 7/10    

Black Panther 1 - 7/10            What if - 7/10

Thor 3 - 9/10                            Hawkeye 6/10

Antman 2 - 5/10                        Moon Knight - 6/10    

Cap Marvel - 6/10                    Ms Marvel 5/10

                                                  She Hulk - 7/10  

                                                Secret Invasion 5/10

                                                Loki 2 - 8/10


11 Years 17 projects              4 years 20 Projects                   

Average 7.17 / 10                   Average 6.45/10

Average 1.54 / Year                Average 5 / Year

To be fair, I did leave out 4 Avengers movies in the Infinity Saga. There is nothing comparable in the new Multiverse Saga yet so I didn't think it was right to keep adding 10s when the new saga has no equal yet. Even if you put them in thats only 1.9 projects / year still compared to 5 a year now. 6.45 compared to 7.17 average isn't actually all that much difference. Not over 20 projects at least. So really it isnt the quality, it is super hero hangover. When Iron Man came out it was a breath of fresh air. It was a super hero movie with an A- character. He isn't Wolverine or Spidey but he was well enough known. RDJ knocked it out of the park and slowly we saw more and more interconnected movies. Now we have at least 5 things to watch a year to be up to date. If you throw in Avengers we have 42 projects in 15 years. Compare that to 25 Bond movies over 59 years, it simply becomes too much! Plus I didn't even count the Defenders in this or the competing companies pumping out super hero content. SO I change my tune, maybe the MCU hasn't gone downhill on content just way too much of it! I believe Disney said they are backing off which is for sure the right thing to do. I want to be excited again, we used to go to the MCU movies opening weekend, we haven't done that in years. The excitement is gone....

My original argument was bring on the Xmen and Fantastic 4, its the only thing that can save the MCU!! I was wrong, please don't. Slow it down, figure out what the Multiverse Saga looks like and end it over the next 3 - 5 years. This whole blog was brought on by Johnathan Majors getting fired, we will get there... Anyways, tease the next phase to keep people interested but let us all get over our super hero hangover. Everyone know that X and FF are the next big thing, if the MCU wants the success it had earlier it relies on these titles doing good.  They won't if it is crammed down our throats right now. Unless they come out with an X movie that rivals Endgame it won't do well and they won't make that movie as a first movie. It took a decade of build up!! So I change my thoughts DON'T give us any Xmen yet! Blows my mind to think maybe 5 years still of this "saga" and another 10 for mutants? 15 years from now i will be pushing 60, will I still be watching super hero movies, ye sif they are good!

When the House of X comes, it needs to be good. Maybe Ill link my old writing on how to break them in here but no matter how they come it needs to be well thought out. I know it is an oxymoron but X needs to not be TOO woke. I know the overall metaphor but like most things I dont want it taken too far. The best X stories, 80s, 90s, were socially aware without the overly woke bullshit we have now. They told the stories, stirred emotions and made people think without beating them over the head. Mutants exist in every walk of life, race, religion, gender, sexuality. If they want to touch on that, do it but please for the love of god, don't drownd us!! Thats my biggest fear. They just need to plan it all out and write good stories!! My opinion is MCU targeting certain audiences is also killing themselves. Get back to broad appeal! Everyone has stories and telling them is great just don't expect massive box office with that approach. I guess what I am saying is if you are going to rely on X to save the MCU, it needs a couple years before it pops out and it needs to be aimed at everyone. It can still have metaphors just make sure it has mass apeal. So below is my way of bringing mutants in from a few years ago. I would change a few things now but mostly keep it the same. The one thing for sure is Tom Ellis is my Mr. Sinister. I am guessing MCU Sinister isnt the sharpen tooth, growling figure from the 80s and 90s but the new sassy version and after seeing Lucifer Tom nailed that! Menacing but sassy.

https://shink81.blogspot.com/2020/08/xmcu-or-x-men-join-mcu.html 

Anyways this whole thing was brought on by Kang getting fired. That was a bad idea. Majors was a good Kang. In Antman he did great, as Victor Timely he was awesome. As he who remains he was awesome. If they swap him, it isn't a good look. They have before with Rhodey and it worked out okay but this is a main guy. This is going to be like Grindwald switch, which wasn't great for the franchise. Or they can write him out but doesn't that change this entire "saga", like isn't it a kick in the ass for the whole MCU? I don't know what they are going to do but this seems like a shitty place to be in. Also what does that say to other talent? Are they going to want to star in MCU movies. Box offices going down, actors fired because they aren't the "Disney" image.... I am sure some people would be happy and hope it is a spring board for them but do people wanna jump on a sinking ship?? 

So there you have it.  Mutants, FF, they won't save the struggling MCU. Just take the time and do it right. Hell might be time to rewrite off the multiverse saga if the big bad is getting fired. Back off on the amount of product and people will come back. Scarcity drives up demand.....



Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo