Skip to main content

September randos

So I started this one a month or more ago. Couldn't seem to fill it and then one day it all came tumbling out. There ended up being more Abpoli and Cdnpoli than I had planned. So I mean skip it if you don't want. Sure there is the normal comics, movies, games and such as well. I guess just a heads up, it is a real mixed bag and you may want to skip parts.... Or I guess if you are reading for the poli skip the gaming and TV lol.

So I gotta hand it to Justin Trudeau, he actually trolled the right wing rather well. He wore a pink hoodie and took his son to Barbie. Also tagging it team Barbie. Of course some rightwing heads exploded, he's gay! No taking your son to see a movie and and wearing pink doesn't make you gay. Although it really comes off as trying to be a "cool single dad" since him and Sophies split. Anyways most Conservatives just hoped it was a spoof, it isn't of course and again the leader of Canada becomes an international laughing stock. My thought is why the hell is a 50 year old man taking his teenage son to a movie aimed at girls? Are we going to have pics of Justin acting like sniffy Joe from down south later?? It is brilliant though, if anyone says anything about it they are "hate filled" and I am sure thats exactly what he wanted. It would be very smart of all CPC members to keep quiet on it. Also what the hell is team Barbie? Is it meaning Barbie movie over Oppenhiemer? I understand that, why would he want to see a movie about one of the most important events in history when he thinks the sun rises and sets on him. Anyways as creepy as it is, in reality its a dad spending time with his son and thats cool. Plus he did win, his trolling work like he wanted it to. Update on that, love watching his polling numbers fall and liberal tears on social media....

I don't know if this is gaming or TV or both, but first off loving The last of Us 2 game. I might be done it by the time this is up but I am going to say playing as Abby right now is meh. Like I dunno is it supposed to make me feel for her? I do understand her motivations and I kinda guessed why she did it awhile ago BUT at the end of the day I don't care. I just wanna fuck up some of the WLF. Also I really dont want the show to play out like the game.... I will be sad to lose Pedro! Also who will play Abby? I am guessing we will see some episodes that are her back story later next season..... Oh I picked Ronda Rousey as Abby, it works down to the hair, think about it. Update on this, did finish the game and I take it back. I enjoyed being Abby, it didn't make me like her BUT it worked. I became invested in her story but I still wanted my revenge. In the end it is such a well written game, wow. I don't like you end up feeling sad at the end though. Hope part 3 comes out and changes that.

Heritage days came and went and while it is still bullshit Russia wasn't allowed to come it was a good time. We went Saturday afternoon & left after 30 minutes. Going midday is a bad call, lines are way to long and August long weekend is always hot!! We came back and did it right Monday AM. Tip 1 skip breakfast and go there for brunch...Tip 2 bring lots of money. Also we parked in the residential just across the 111ave bridge. Its free and its a short walk. Sure in winter Ill pay that $15 to park close but on a beauty day save the money and you can get from more booths. Now let me say instead of maps of the country, why not put world maps and highlight the country. I had to google a few places to even know where they were located. Lets be honest the food is the best part, but check out some of the booths. Not all of them are amazing but some have some cool fact on the nation or cool things to buy. I am just going to say it, kangaroo is awful, don't try it. Also I bought fish cakes that I was so pumped for and they were not amazing. Overall though it was a great experience, just go early and bring $$$

I am not gonna post too much on comics, but Fall of X has been amazing!! Krakoa was an alright story and honestly I would be okay at the end if they get it all back BUT I was annoyed with the resurrections and a few other things. Nothing in the last couple years has been AMAZING I mean Hellions was a great title and the first run of Marauders was good but overall a million semi intertwined X titles was rough. Then the fall of X, still too many titles but there has not been such a great story line in a LONG time. Like since the Claremont run.... By the time I post this I am sure some things will have come along but I am really hoping they have to turn to Sinister for help. Also Mother Righteous and Dr Stasis, I am really liking. I hope they stay around but don't get over used. I assume A will be back and I mean I am not sure when but please bring back Magneto!!! I want a big bad showdown at the end. M.O.D.O.K, Nimrod, Moria all getting what they have coming. I can't afford it right now but damn if I could buy every Fall of X title I would. Also I like they trimmed the fat. Sure it was awesome to see so many old fav mutants but it is nice to be down to a few of the best left! Also wtf where is Scalphunter, why can't he be with Psylocke kicking ass where he belongs!! I will state I hate issues with amazing cover art that look like something big is going to happen and then the actual story has almost nothing to do with the cover. Love Shadowcat, over the years Kitty has become one of my fav character out there

Why must Castreau the little potato make Canada a laughing stock?? A travel advisory for the USA?? Jebus man.... How about an Edmonton travel advisory. I have had AKs pulled on me in Mexico. I have had security in Havana try to intimidate us with hand guns and I still feel safer in either of those places or any states than I do in downtown Edmonton. I mean I am safe from plastic straws here but overall feel safer in Mexico.... 

So Cobra Kai is awesome. Maybe I said that already, maybe not but that has been the TV we have been powering thru. It is funny AF to see Danny portrayed as the "bad guy" back in the original movie flashbacks and honestly Johnny is the most lovable loser on TV in a long time. I will be honest we did slow down a bit, I think we are starting season 4 now and it has gotten a bit repetitive, like a lot of teen shows but it is still much better than most. Looking at you Riverdale and how bad you got..... It is awesome how much of the original cast they got back, even if just a cameo. Also is it just me or is the Roby character super fucking annoying. Like from season 1 all thru I have thought this guy is a super douche. I dunno if he was supposed to be that way but gawd is he annoying!! Ahsoka started and again probably lots out before I post this but first 2 episodes started strong!! My first couple thoughts 1) Should she not be super bad ass. She was a gifted child trained by Vader in a war. If that training doesn't make you bad ass I dunno what would. 2) Should watch Clone Wars and Rebels first, which I did not. I guess yes you can follow the show with out doing that BUT I am sure some easter eggs and such are much better having finished those 2. Justified City Primeval has been alright, like pretty damn good but it isn't quite the original series. Part of the appeal for me with the original run was the setting and moving it to Detroit I am not a super fan of.... However Boyd Holbrook is amazing!! I keep seeing in things and thinking how good he is but this settles it, he is among my fav actors. Sandman, Logan, Hatfields and McCoys he has been amazing in and this series he is just awesome. I think it is time to make that leap to leading man, as a villain though. That seems to be his strong suit. Also still powering thru blue bloods. I have to say I really do like this show. I mean I am sure people label it copaganda and I can live with that. Said it before mostly I support the police. Hell some episodes I wish Danny was a little more like Vic Makey.... I have a hard time believing that there is a family that ALWAYS comes together and does the right thing. I do love the family aspect though and the whole dinner together is something I think the world could use more of. Anyone else seen previews for this new "Robin Hood" on global?? I want to watch it because I love the old Robin Hood stories but I am really nervous from the tiny teasers it looks pretty bad... So all the way to starting season 5 of Cobra. My first take away, I want a guy like Chozen to hang around and be my bodyguard! Also I get teenage fights and such but some of the crimes are getting out of hand... Like burning down a furniture store or the home invasion a couple seasons back. This is becoming SOA not a teen drama. I guess if the mafia can come to Riverdale though, this is kinda believable. 

Know what is amazing about Edmonton. I can go up Stony Plain Road. See two guys squaring up to fight... A pan handler with a sign saying he needs money. Someone passed out by a shopping cart full of crap BUT I cannot get a bag for my hamburger. We have our priorities straight! We are safe from plastic! Also LRT and bus safety is amazing! Can't turn on the news without seeing someone beaten or stabbed riding the bus. I am sure the city council will blame someone else for that too. Also pretty tired of hearing people defend that "Oh thats just what happens in cities" NO it really shouldn't be and we shouldn't just accept that as okay.

Barbenhiemer.... Or whatever it is called has been huge this year. Supposedly movies are back! Which is good, I miss going to Browns or wherever having a drink, a meal and heading to the local theatre for the newest blockbuster. I can't say there is any coming out that I am overly pumped for BUT it will be good to go again. Streaming is great and it is nice to be able to pay for something maybe you aren't sure about heading to the theatre for. Ya its $25 but its cheaper still than getting snacks, going out for a meal before and being able to pause things is awesome but I do hope theatres never go away. All I really recently watched was The Flash which was a let down. I love Ezra, think he is an insanely talented actor and thought he could be this generations Johnny Depp. It seems like he is having real trouble though AND may not go far. The Flash sadly was a let down. I did have high hopes but it fell flat. I cant even say why. I mean the old batman had some great call backs. Ezra was awesome, so was Zod and Superwoman? IDK I guess I had too much hype in my own mind BUT it sounds like this is the end of the old DCEU and now we will see Gunns vision. Guardians 3 gave me a spark he will do a good job.... Also my wife had me watch Americas Sweethearts. So fellas give it a try. It is an older romcom and it is actually really good. Before, remember back when comedy was funny and people didn't get offended by everything. 

So we are in a housing crisis. I saw a genius post no one should be able to own more than one home or air BnBs. Seriously dude, fuck off. It used to be people worked and then if they were good, could save some $$ and purchase something like an income property. That property could do things like put their children thru school. (True story, that was a landlord we had a long time ago) Now people shouldn't do that? Shouldn't keep the economy moving? Why because you can't do it? Eat a fat cock, so tired of the whining in this world. Know what would help the housing crisis, not increasing the interest rates every few months. Encouraging youth to get into the trades. I work with the trades and travel all over the territories, northern AB and BC and guess what. EVERYWHERE needs people. Also people willing to work, not people that complain and hate an honest days work. Oh hey, cut that carbon tax. I used to send a truck load from AB to SK for around $300 now I am LUCKY if I can get $700. At the end of the day guess who pays that, the people buying the home. So ya at that point only the rich can afford homes. Also while I am on a roll, do you know what brings people into Victoria or even downtown Whitehorse. Personality. They have beautiful old buildings, that tourists love to see. Same goes for many neighborhood's. Some of the turn of the century homes in Edmonton are amazing. Take a drive down Ada boulevard. However we have people who would love to knock these down and build duplexes, triplexes or whatever ugly ass multifamily homes. That's tragic. You want something like that move to one of the MANY big condo units going up all over the city. I read an article by that clown Max Fawcett where he goes on to attack people who live in these neighborhoods and don't want to watch duplexes go up. Implies they are "Karens" for not wanting this. Did you know there is even an acronym now. Nimby Not In MY Back Yard. I get it, somethings might be needed in a neighborhoods and some people fighting it might be asshats. However trying to keep a nice old neighborhood, nice really shouldn't be a shameful thing. These fucking hipsters who want to shame people for having pride in where they live can gooble a cock. What's going on with the old city center airport? I thought it was gonna be one of these hipster communities. Instead of getting mad people don't want duplexes, why not get to work on this area?? 

I need some happy pods. I am really enjoying the lights out podcast as I said but it is too gloomy and doomy! I have spent a lot of time driving over the last few months and listened to a lot of lights out. Its great but so depressing!! So I listened to a bunch on the Thule society. Pronounced Two-La stop saying it phonetically. Nazi mystics from before Hitler. That is actually interesting and Nicolas Flammel. He was a real person not just someone dreamt up for Harry Potter, that was interesting as well and supposedly he might still be alive. However what I need is just a good movie or music pod that will make me laugh and not hate people!! I was listening to I Have Some Notes, which was very good but only on podbean which makes me so angry. The X-wife pod was another one I enjoy but almost want something deeper into the X titles. Cerebro was way too intense, so I just need a good happy pod to listen to for a bit... what is out there??

Groceries and econ for dumbies... I didn't want to write this but being on social media and reading comments I guess I need to. SO I have been of the mind write a list before you grocery shop. If your getting low on something put it on and see if its on sale. If it is grab it, if not wait until next week and try again. (Until you can't wait) When you get there if you need it, it goes in the cart. A few years back I noticed that system sometimes cost a decent chunk of change (Say $150 to $175 / week for 2 people) but we had what we needed. I started making a  bit more money and didn't mind that. Slowly over the last couple years it started creeping up to $200 / week, now if we can do it for less than $250 I am happy. I will be honest we eat well. Plus we have snacks and the pantry is always full, we COULD spend less if we needed to is my point. I do not know how a family can do it. SO then you hear all these people screaming about the gouging at the store. Record profits. First there are 2 kinds of profit. I can sell a million $ in a moth and it looks great on paper! However if costs and overhead was say $950,000 actual profit is only $50,000. Its much better to sell only $750,000 at a cost of $500,000 for $250,000 profit. Sure a million sounds impressive but the lower number is much better. So yes the media can say look at all the money they made but it doesn't actually amount to churning out money. Basic econ here people. Then I see people like Ed the Sock saying the carbon tax really isn't making things more expensive. More basic lessons.... I see people state "oh well a truck has this much much gas, with this much tax divided by the amount on a truck equals really no higher cost because of the tax. Or pennies on items." I have seen that a bunch to and that's not at all how shipping works. Trucking companies slap on a fuel surcharge based on what gas might be. The more tax the higher that surcharge is. So your doing math wrong. On top of that, it starts with the farmer. He is paying more to heat his barn, shop whatever and paying more to run all his equipment. So he is passing that on to the grocery store buying his product. That's separate than trucking and it has to go up. These grocery stores have to pay more to keep their buildings running. Its a giant cycle as things go up because of a carbon tax, it isn't just the use of gas that goes up. It is every step that goes up, but sure if you think it is just a tank of gas that is going up keep living in dream land. Now saying all that I can't say how much the grocery stores are gouging. Record profits usually means you are doing well. This rant wasn't saying poor billionaires, it was explaining basic econ that people seem to be plugging their ears on and just saying, can't be the tax must be people ripping me off! It isn't or not all of it is. You cannot tax your way into wealth.

So I am 2/3 done Le Morte d'Arthur. It has been an alright read but olde English is hard!! Also a few key take aways.... There are way more Knights of the Round Table than we hear about. Game of Thrones has nothing on SOME of these characters for villainy, murder and incest. Like Arthur is killed by his own bastard son from his sister..... Description wasn't big back then. For example 2 knights fight, nothing is told about the battle just it always goes on for a crazy number of hours then one get the upper hand and wins. Or in battles "Arthur took the field and slew 40 knights himself". Fights always end one of two ways. Either A) they decide they are now friends and swear to forever be loyal and true friend or the loser gets his head cut off. Even though they are Arthurian legends Artie isn't as big as as one might think and he often is a side character. There is ALWAYS a new "greatest" knight except for Lancelot who maintains number one. I mean they are good stories and I enjoy them but some are just hard to read. 

So we just had Million March for Children or whatever it was called protesting school policies on gender and sexuality and shit. Admittedly like any right leaning protest, hate showed up. Without a doubt some used it to spill hate for the LGBTQ community and that is too bad. Kids should feel safe and if that is what teacher are trying to do that's great. HOWEVER the flip side of that is that USUALLY any adult telling a child not to tell their parents something aren't good people. Theo Fleury who has gone off the deep end some what even posted that is exactly what he was told when he was abused. I have no bend on this issue, This whole gender surgery and therapy shouldn't be a thing until a person hits 18.  Minors cant drink, smoke, vote, gamble, can barely drive until they are 18. A person is not the same at 25 that they were at 15. That number changes a few times during your life. 20 isn't the same as 30. So something as dramatic and life altering should not be played with until a person is 18. On top of all that social media goes nuts again. Our half brain dead PM posts against protests along with every overly woke mayor, premier and so on.... Just because you don't like something doesn't make it hate. YES some hate was there but that wasn't the overall message. Parents concerned for their kids was. Honestly how TF did we even get here? This wasn't even a thing 20 years ago.... Oh lastly we have brain surgeons from the NDP like Janis Irwin attacking Danny Smith for calling for protests to be peaceful. Ya thats awful! Ask people to keep protest civil and non violent. Personally I wish the NDP would just dry up and go away like the sore on Alberta that they are

I was recently in Whitehorse for work. I love that town. I am going to Victoria soon, or maybe have already been and I love that city. Here is my list 1) Victoria 2) L.A 3) Mazatlán 4) Whitehorse and then maybe Vegas.... The fact is I really have only been to the Americas and mostly the west. Next year I will see Paris, Rome, Venice and more so I think that list will change but for now that's it....  

Hockey starts again tomorrow (likely a couple games in before I post this), coming off a div win! I also actually was playing some of the best hockey I think I have ever played so to keep that up after 2 months off I have ben running and working out every day, no that's a giant lie. I have been travelling for work which is not eating that great and not doing physical activity. So now a higher div in worse shape!! Shouldn't be that bad actually, I assume no one in our divs spend too much time maintaining great shape  and even though its a new div a lot of the teams are guys we have played and won and lost to before. If I can get over 0.5 pt / game I will be happy with the season.

Okay boomer....! I was called boomer on social media a few weeks back. First I am not, in fact I am a generation away from that at least BUT I wasn't really insulted. Okay so I am like the generation that knew what gender they were? That wanted to work and get ahead, not just be handed things. That didn't live on cell phones and could have conversations. That didn't get self worth from social media likes and could change a fucking tire?? Heavens no! Take that back and give me a man bun!!!

So I am ALMOST done Final Fantasy III I think... I was about to head to the moon for the big bad boss when I discovered the land of summons and got me some new monsters to back me up. Then I discovered the Sylvan cave as well and cleared it out. I think I am good to go to the moon again. Once I wrap it up IDK what I will play, bought all 3 Arkhams. Asylum, City and Knight for $8 that was a hell of a deal. I do want to finish Witcher again though as I am just in Skellige and have blood and wine and heart of stone as well. Plus my annual desire to be Arthur Morgan has kicked in recently..... I do think I am almost done Last of Us II as well. It worked, I do feel some empathy for Abby. She is a decent person whose dad was murdered and wanted revenge (Which is exactly what Ellie is as well) so I do feel for her. However she did kill Joel so in the end I have no issues ending her! 

Anyways that was long and hopefully you slogged thru. Sorry about the various rants, just can't believe how much stupid I have seen recently.....


Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo