Skip to main content

Mayans Final Ride

 Mayans MC is wrapping up, it was an okay ride. It was no SOA and while we wouldn't want an exact copy at least some of the likability would have been good. Mayans had no characters I really got behind except Coco and he was written out, allegedly due to off screen drama. Honestly I think it was the writing and the loss of Kurt Sutter that killed the show. At the end of the day this is his baby and he was fired from it. When he is on a roll at something like Sons or the Shield, he is good but when you give someone control over something someone else dreamt up the product won't end up as good. The acting has been great but overall it has been unbelievable writing that has killed the show. Honestly I do hope these last 8 episodes are great, the two they started with were decent.... Anyways lets just have a look at a show I had so much hope for but kinda fell short.

There were a lot of stories that seem to go nowhere. We have EZs photographic memory. For the first season or so EZ being smart with that great memory came up over and over, then it was just forgotten? If we are going with old stories, his mothers murder? Sure that got wrapped up, Happy was the killer. First I really doubt that EZ and Angel let Happy just walk and it was Dita that ordered it? Honestly that was just cheezy. While we are on that whole thing, what about Miguel's real parentage? Is that gonna be a big Jon Snow moment. His real dad is! and then it means nothing, why even bother. Also what about that woman that was feeding info to the Sons from the clubhouse... Nestor seemed to have noticed something with her but it never came up again. MAYBE I am thinking it will and they use her to feed false info in this last season but who knows. Also Taza, how much of his shit currently was caused by him and he just left to be a nomad?? I mean yes he could / should be back but if not wtf??? Also I love Isaac, not the man but the character, he is probably the most memorable part of Mayans now. A biker version of Ramsay Bolton or Trevor from GTA V if he was a biker but how did he take over Samdino. Happy was running it wasn't he?? I don't see Chibs or Happy just being like okay crazy dude, run a charter. Or the whole shoot up a hospital. SO a nurse was kidnapped during a hospital getting shot up and no one seems to care?? Honestly wtf......

If I am going on about storylines going nowhere, my biggest question is how to wrap up the million stories going on. So overall you have the Sons, Mayans war. First off the show leans too much into Sons. It was wrapped up, honestly Mayans never really needed to even show a Son, there are how many other gangs invented in the "sutterverse" but they picked SOA to be the main antagonist? So the Mayans are losing the war. Either the series ends with the Mayans gone... as they are the protagonists that seems lame. Or EZ dreams up a way to take out the Sons. Also cheesy, when even Bishop is saying they will all die. Or peace is made I am guessing with Isaac and EZ dead and Alverez back. On top of that they introduce 2 new gangs. The biker cops and angry chicks, why keep introducing gangs??? Next you have EZ declaring war on the cartel and maybe the mercs??? Seriously, the whole series has been how deadly the cartel is and now a decimated gang is going to take them out? So there is all the war storylines but what about Lincoln Potter? The cartels are going to get out from under him now?? Theres that. What about Emily and Miguel. I feel like Sutter maybe had a plan for that story and it just got blown up. The story has went so back burner and boring, we forget its there but she is back in his house. He did kill her sister, I am assuming that needs cleared up. Hope and Leti were wrapped up. Leti helped her and they were getting away. I almost wanted to not see them this season, now they are robbing dealers and about to "do something big and dangerous" of course that's gonna tie to the war in someway but why not have just let them go? Alverez is out? I guess you can leave that but it seems like a giant smack to all the prior writing of him. He started the Mayans and now a new patch had him voted out. If we are on that, look at Bishop. After being played by EZ you can tell he hates him, that has to come to a head. There was the Hank, Nails, Angel triangle that fizzled out, what happened to her? Plus Hanks mom is in a home, I am assuming that is being shown so they can show he needs money in these last episodes or wtf was the point of all that? We have Creeper in prison and he gets his fuck buddy / cop to find the rat for him?? WHAT? I get she can be conflicted but now she is going to find the rat? Also is it EZs past or will we see a new rat. I would have to rewatch but wasn't there still something going on with Gilly and his old army buddies?? Thats just a few things from the top of my head. The whole Reyes mess... Like I am thinking / hoping Angel or daddy Reyes take EZ out. I am guessing Angel, while he has been a dumbass for years he seems like the only half decent guy still around. Also the Adelita story is dragging. Her first few season and little army were great, then she just got boring and now lives with Angel as mom by night, cartel thug by day. I am assuming she has to take out that one cartel hit woman who seems to have no real part in the series except to be annoying. Honestly it feels like they forgot they got cut down seasons. If they had 7 or 8 season like I am guessing they wanted maybe they could wrap up all this but 8 episodes (Probably 7 by the time I post this.) Seems hard to do.

Anyways I will quit bitching but I do have two tied beefs for worst storylines. First, the fall of EZ. He goes from a sort of sympathetic character to pretty much a bastard in a few episodes. If you mirror him on Jax, it took Jax seasons after watching his best friend beaten to death and his wife murdered to become what he becomes and then he kills himself. EZ just decides one day, meh I wanna be hatable. Honestly after he has his villain turn, he is boring. He didn't have to remain "boy scout" but this complete 180 just happened too fast and is boring. Also he went from a prospect to Prez how fast?? This is the like saying Half sack oust Jax and Clay in 4 seasons? Thats like half sack doing this before they even introduce the Damon Pope character..... The second real issue I have is Gabby, the new girl and the hospital shoot out. So we have Gabby and EZ in love, in fact so in love he is willing to leave the club. They break up and he finds her in a hospital they are shooting up and kidnaps her. Oh then murders her. This is like Jax killing Tara. I know they frame it as her or Angel but really??? He couldn't think of anything else just lets get murdery??? This is a prime example of how poorly they have written EZ becoming bad. I mean this is supposed to show how bad he is but really it just comes off as bad writing. He could have killed a million other people to show him becoming bad that would have made more sense. Also the hospital shoot out and nothing?? I am pretty sure if there was a hospital shot to shit someone would be after the club, some sort of law enforcement. Especially when a guard was killed and a nurse kidnapped and never found.... All these others murders, sure they hid the bodies I can accept that but a broad daylight gun fight, if ANYONE knows the Quebec biker wars they would know this shit would not just get forgotten. Also I guess if we are talking Gabby does anyone like EZs new woman?? Within a couple episodes she is with EZ and just fine with him murdering everyone??? I get it, if your BF is in the "life" you pretty much have to accept he is out doing bad shit but watching him, even helping when you just met. WOW thats one "loyal" chick.

So I have complained a lot but it hasn't all been bad. The casting was great. JD is a great lead and Clayton played an awesome dopey but decent older brother. I didnt think Danny Pino character was written very well but he did a great job playing it. Michael Irby was amazing as Bishop in my opinion. I am not in an MC but I am guessing that he would be pretty damn close to what a real president has to be like. Also Edward Olmos was another great casting. Richard Cabral is always a good choice and it was sad he had to leave early. I have bitched about many of the stories because it has been sloppy. Too much going on, like a bunch of shit thrown at the wall and seeing what stuck. There were good ideas in there BUT too much on the go overshadowing the good ones. We rewatched the first season of Sons & yes there is a lot going on. A lot of stuff is started that will play out but overall it is Jax and Tara plus Opies family. Mayans tried to do too much right from the get go, I think and that just took away from the whole thing. Had they taken more time to develop each story I think people would have been more invested and maybe they would be getting their whole 7 or 8 seasons. Also I know it is repeating myself but EZ goes to bad, too quick. Jax is a bad man by the end and even he knows he deserves to die but there is still sympathy with him. EZ for a season now I have read people being tired of him. Something like Angel or Gabby dying maybe would be a catalyst to him going so bad but instead we get him killing Gabby??  I will say it was a show I did watch the newest episode within a day if I didn't watch it when it aired. I would still watch another spin off, a First 9 or even a Sambel show. Part of me would like to see Abel and Thomas but I am not sure how that places out. If they end up Sons it is just the same as Jax again, where his dad didn't want him. I have HEARD rumors' both Charlie and  Ryan have been seen together looking like Op and Jax and that Charlie said he was trying to play Jax again but I am not sure how. Op is 100% dead and Jax wasn't shown dead but no one would be happy if now they change it and say he survived some how..... Anyways for all my bitching I did for the most part enjoy Mayans and I do wish it even had 1 more season just to wrap things up.....

So final predictions?? Everyone seem to think EZ dies. Honestly I hope so and I feel like it will be Angel or Felipe who does it. I do think it will be an Et tu Brutus moment. I am sure they will write him some how helping the club though before he goes. Will Alverez be back as prez?? It feels like that should be the end so I am guessing not. Miguel deserves to die and I do think that will be a fitting end to the Galindo cartel, will it be Emily? Guessing she runs and gets caught again. I want a happy end for Bishop. Also for Leti and Hope, like I said I don't know why they even brought those 2 back. Isaac is going to get sold out. From Terry breaking down and crying, to the rest of his charter except one guy seeming terrified of him sooner or later they will have had enough of his shit. Since they brought the "mole" girl back I am guessing she will be part of setting Isaac up. Bottles, I am not liking his chances. He seems too likable and came too late, that's cannon fodder. Potter being back I have seen a ton of theories he has his hands in lots of things and will play a big part in the finale. I kinda hope not, I really didn't even need his character back. It is just another plot line, too many muddying up the whole show. Would be nice to see him eat a bullet though. Creeper should not live. I like him but after Mayans beat that guard and left him to be found I don't see how Creeper lives. Also his fuck buddy, I don't see a good end for her. Not murdered but I am sure her bosses find out something about her just stealing confidential files. Plus what is going on with the chick MC? I would assume they have a role to play still, or why were they introduced for 10 minutes in 1 episode in the final season. (That would be a prime example of too much going on, if they do nothing now) I honestly don't care if EZs new girl makes it. When it comes right down to it I just hope the Reyes family, except EZ get a decent ending. I Hope, Hope and Leti do to. Bish and Alverez as well. Other than that let it burn. Also I am sure in the next 3 days when episode 4 comes out we FINALLY find out the "rat" Hank looked furious, SO is it just EZs record? At that point it becomes pointless. EZ will say they were blackmailed by Potter and got out from under him. It would be a nothing burger. I saw a theory it is Hank and he won't say anything but that makes no sense, why would Creeper have called him then. I think it is someone else and we still wait an episode or two to find out. Oh and what about the burnt warehouse??? Would the cartel not be a BIT mad and looking into that??

Anyways I am repeating and rambling now. Mayans was a decent show, I enjoyed it. I got frustrated at how much makes no sense and honestly I wish they had 1 more season to wrap it all up. 6.5 / 10. I doubt like Sons or the Shield I will be rewatching it anytime soon. I guess it is what you expect from a spin off a good watch but doesn't live up to the original


Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo