Skip to main content

Social media, CBC and the nothing burger

 OMG again a post that just got too long for social media so it becomes a small blog rant... First lets just all get on board that politics has become a joke. Social media has not helped politics at all. It is now more about people shit posting online and politicians (Of every party) mud slinging rather than doing what is best for our nation. We are more divided and grow more divided every day. I don't want to be a luddite and say tech is bad but without a doubt it has a lot of bad to go with the good. It is great people and parties can reach a wider audience, a more informed voter is a better voter. Scroll through social media though it isn't important points anymore, it's trying to stir up shit to not win your vote per say but to make you not vote for the opponent. I will admit right here I post on politics and get a lot of negative feedback because I do exactly what I am bitching about here. I guess what I am saying is personally I could be better and the entire world would be better if more people recognized what social media is doing, not just getting on it spewing hate. Also I repeat this happens from EVERY party. I don't think politicians can sleep at nigh tif they don't get at least 1 attack tweet out. 

The CBC is a Canadian institution. IMO it is a need and important part of Canada. When you neighbor is the States and Hollywood, that is all you see pushed it is important to have something like CBC to try and keep Canadian culture around. I am not going to list all the programs they have put out over the years but honestly if you grew up in Canada, if you are "Canadian" some part of your life has been touched by the CBC. Even all you people that "hate" the CBC I hope you can at least admit that. This goes both ways though, if people admit yes the CBC has effected them please admit the CBC has bias. You cannot listen to a CBC podcast or watch a news program without seeing that. NOT as much as say something like Rebel Media, but there is a slant without a doubt. Saying that, they do, do some excellent reporting. I would prefer they just stick to facts but in this brave new world no media company does. Do they push Castreau agenda, I wouldn't go that far but I would say you can see a liberal slant. So NO they aren't on some JT payroll but ya they are liberal. 

Anyways the big controversy is Pierre Poilievre called CBC government funded media and Elon had that label added to their twitter. Strictly speaking that is 100% accurate. CBC has their panties in a bunch, saying they are independent. Well the reporting is supposed to be, some say it is, others say no, either way in the end it is government funded so that isn't a lie. The nothing burger of this all is it will have 0 effect. No one is about to say "Oh my god! They are? and stop supporting the CBC." The people who dislike the CBC well this really doesn't do anything for them either. WOW a social media network that 16% (Honestly that number is tiny) of Canadian use posted something that you already believed? The people who dislike CBC already believe it is propaganda, so stating it is government funded isn't some gotcha moment. This whole thing doesn't really do anything except continue to make the Twitter Echo Chamber bigger. I mean that's not good but how people feel or support the CBC won't be effected by this at all. Its a giant nothing burger that social media is blowing up and dividing people deeper.....

Some are making a big deal about Pierre having a foreign billionaire change a label. I get that, we don't really want that BUT technically wannabe Tony Stark is a Canadian. I know that will have people saying no he really isn't blah blah blah... I would agree, I wouldn't really consider him a Canadian but I balance it with "A Canadian is a Canadian no matter what" How we recently had to bring "home" Isis wives. Seriously?! These people went to a bloody movement that stands against pretty much everything Canada is for BUT we had to bring them home. Nah, if that human garbage is Canadian I guess Elon is to. 

The whole thing is this is a prime example of how bad social media can be for politics. Also it is a giant nothing burger. No one is jumping ship from CBC because of this. No one is about to start supporting CBC because of this. Anyway short but long winded rant done. In reality this has 0 effect on the real world, yet it is the story of the week or whatever it is......

Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo