Skip to main content

Gunn & the DCEU

 I don't hate James Gunn even if my social media sometimes feels like it. He has had some hits like Scooby Doo and he has had a lot of misses. Movie 43..... When it comes to comics book movies though he is over rated. I personally feel putting his as the head of DC movies was a mistake... This quick blog was going to be a tweet but it got too long, so here is my James Gunn DCEU rant. This was all inspired after watching Black Adam. The credit scene was awesome but now the DCEU is being deleted so it really doesn't matter I guess. Same with the upcoming Shazam movie, what will go on with that series? Losing the DCEU is a bad call, in my mind at least. 

There isn't a struggle for comics movie supremacy. Marvel won. (Another separate rant Marvel got too big) DC is still in "phase 1" if you ask me or JUST past it with the Justice League. Marvel is in what now 5? Plus they have been dropping big news for the last few weeks, without even announcing mutants or Fantastic 4. So that contest is over, Marvel won. DC hired Gunn to run their DCEU and he tore it apart! First what was the basis for this hire? Guardians of the Galaxy 1 was a good movie. It is a  good movie because it was fresh, funny. Moved a bit away from the standard Marvel formula. Guardians 2 though, was hot stinky crap. For some reason he got no blow back on that. Taika Waititi made Thor Ragnarok and everyone loved him, after Love and Thunder people are shitting on him. Not sure how these 2 guys are different, 1 good movie and 1 bad...... Gunn also made those awful Suicide Squad movies. Not saying Taika should be the head of a studio but why Gunn? It isn't like he made a bunch of amazing comic movies? I started Peacemaker, which I admit I kind of liked. Except that opening scene. Either way Peacemaker will not build a franchise, good as it might be if you want a studio like Marvel it has to be a bit more family friendly. So yes I question why Gunn???

Remember the deformed orc in Lord of the Rings that says "The age of man is over" Ya thats me saying the age of comic movies is over. The Infinity Saga was what 22 movies over 10 years?? It was a good ride, yes it had some misses but it also had some big hits. The last 2 movies Infinity War / Endgame WOW. They did the ultimate crossover & it ended. Honestly Tony and Steve were the heart (Chris and RDJ) did amazing and brought it all to life. Say what you want, yes there was a lot of other characters but it did feel like these 2 held it together. They are gone.... I have already said Marvel can't keep that pace. "Phase 4" was lame, if your honest with yourself. No movie or TV series was amazing. Spidey had some cool crossovers, so did Multiverse. Neither was mind blowing. Plus the House of Mouse just keeps hammering stuff out, like is there not a new Marvel show every 2 months now?? So I flat out ask, is the quality going down or are people just tired of superheroes?  Sure MARVEL still has a few big cards to play which might keep people coming (The X family will bring me back to theatres) but what does DC have? Nothing, they are on ground 0! They don't have to be but for some reason Gunn decided to scrap everything and put them there. Personally I don't know why and I guess that is my massive issue. Even I am almost done with comic movies and he wants to start them all over?! This really seems like a mistake.

See the DCEU exists. It is like the MCU just after phase 1. Finding its legs. I am a minor Cavill "stan" he is an okay Geralt. HOWEVER I think he is a good Clark Kent. I can believe he is a midwest honky with super powers and the desire to just be a good guy. Gal was a decent WW. The first WW was a damn good movie. Man of Steel and WW are probably top 2 DC movies (at least in DCEU) Batfleck I don't mind. I dunno if he needs to look that old, on the flip side we don't need another year 1 for Bats everyone knows what happened, that rather than get psychiatric help after watch his parents murder he would rather beat people to a bloody pulp. Which is good because apparently 50% of his home town are criminals. Snyders Justice league actually did a lot for the DCEU, expands it and gives background so we maybe don't need a bunch more year one stories. We also have Black Adam which expanded the DCEU and the suicide squad. Hell Arthur Fleck could be the Joker a young Batfleck fought. Or he could have inspired the real Joker. Or emo Battison could be a younger Batfleck, I could believe that. He just grew up and got over his emo phase. Those 2 might be stretches but they are workable. Also I do find it funny that the only project I have "heard" they will keep doing that is set in the current DCEU is the one Gunns wife is in, I get that I don't think I would cancel my wife if she was in a popular show, I aint crazy....  What I am getting at here is Gunn is handed a half formed universe. Instead of running with it, yes it does have potential, he is killing it. Strike while the iron is hot dude! To get back to where they currently are will be YEARS and I truly do believe that by that time comic movies be a thing of the past (like 80s action movies and slasher flicks or 90s teen movies) I think they have an expiration date. 

So this was mostly ramble, I knew it would be it was supposed to just be a tweet. I guess I am saying I dont dislike Gunn but I feel he is going to miss out on the DCEU. I mean I hope he doesn't, we all win if they make good movies but I believe the craze is dying down for superheroes. So yes I hope he can have some Guardians 1 magic but I am not holding my breath. The only other thing could be non-connected movies. Sure we all dig the MCU and seeing these crossovers BUT it doesn't have to happen. The Dark Knight trilogy were to of the best DC movies. Who doesn't look back at the original Superman fondly. I am sure WW reboot could hold its own without a Justice League. So I guess the studio could do that to but I think they are trying to world build.....


Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo