Skip to main content

Spidey Vs Bats

 A few weeks back I started a blog why Nolans Dark Knight Trilogy is the best comic movies ever. I will finish it and get it out but for now I am writing on the two newest ones. I had a week off and finally had a chance to see them. 2 of the 4 movies I really wanna see this year. The other 2 being Secrets of Dumbledore and Dr. Strange. SO if you thought this was gonna be my pick of a fight between Spidey and Bats sorry it isn't. Bats always wins if he has time to prep.... Also should go without saying Spoilers ahead! First half is spidey if you wanna skip that, second is Bats if you wanna skip that.

Spidey is the most important MCU movie to date. That doesn't mean best or my fav but it has the biggest impact on the MCU. It flat out states every Marvel movie you have seen, good or bad happened. The impact of that is bigger than people disappearing for 5 years. It is the gateway to the future. Let's be honest right now Marvel is scrapping for heroes. This "phase" is a lot of either forgotten characters or newer ones Marvel wants to take off. They have used the big 3 up. Cap, Iron Man and Thor. Hell 2 likely aren't coming back. They used up the Hulk, the Punisher, Spidey and Daredevil. The big characters that have already been attempted in movies. Those characters were used because they are the known Marvel brand. We have had some big hits from lesser known characters like the Guardians or the Galaxy, Captain Marvel (Big sales. Even if I didn't like it) Black Panther and so on.... So I state it again Marvel is tapped because they had half the catalogue until recently. Welp now they can use more massive draws. The first family of Marvel F4. The Wolverine, Professor X and all the Mutants. Your dreaming if you don't think that line up is going to be the next phase on the big screen. It might take awhile but they will get there. You can go back and read my blog on how to ease them in if you want.... Point being Spidey opened the door for them to seep into the main MCU timeline. Strange will follow up on that I am sure. Even the Disney+ shows have opened doors for it. That's why I say it is the single most important MCU movie to date, but lets get back to the actual movie. First off the revelation of who spidey is of course rocks everyone. Right off the bat I gotta say I love the fact they made Jameson an Alex Jones type media outlet. Love it! You would think Pete being part of the Avengers would play somewhat into the whole police thing..... Like after the battle of New York they didn't haul the Avengers in to answer for what happened (lives lost) or maybe SHIELD would become involved. Instead we have him want Strange to cast a spell. It is frickin exciting soon as you see Doc Ock and the pumpkin bomb. I really wish I had seen it opening day! Also Daredevil, that was so cool!!! Honestly wish we got a bit more of Matt in the movie but I guess it teases we will see more of him. I get Peter has a good heart and wants to save all of them. I don't see him beating Strange in the Mirror world..... MCU is pretty predictable but no one could have missed Goblin was going to betray him. Also I wish we had way more goblin screen time!! Does anyone have it worse than Peter, May dies.... Like he spends the last movie mourning Tony now this. Oh plus his parents. I honestly don't remember in this timeline did we ever find out what happened to them? This kid was made to suffer. Then the other 2 spideys showing up was super cool. Again wish I didn't know they were coming. This led to some of the best banter in the movie. Lines like asking about the Avengers Band were awesome. Overall this movie had a ton of fan boy humor and I giggled a lot. Not laugh out loud but smiled. The whole 10 minutes in a highschool lab to make cures for the villains was kinda cheesy. Of course the final battle was just cool to see and I admit after saying something are predictable Doc Ock was okay.... Part of me guessed he was good still but they do make it seem like he isn't. Part of me wanted Peter to kill the goblin. That would open up a massive plot line for movies and movies but I guess it is nice to see him still be friendly neighbourhood spidey. If this was DCEU he might have done it and we would see his guilt for 3 or 4 movies.... Tobey gets stabbed, it looks brutal but he carries on? Not sure how that works but okay. The ending is almost flat. No one remembers spidey? Okay I get it BUT everyone knows that won't last. I am fairly sure being one of the bigger MCU names they are somehow going to remember him. Like flat out End Game Cpt Marvel says "Hey Peter Parker" and looks him in the face. Whats her memory a body with a question mark for a head and "Hey......"? So I mean get its a plot point but I am certain it will be cleared up soon enough. The Dr Strange after credit scene is great I guess just a long trailer. The Venom one I don't understand. The Venom movies don't happen in the main MCU timeline, clearly. He doesn't know Thanos or the Avengers. Yet somehow on TV in the Venom post credit scene he see spidey. Then in this one he plans to go see spidey BUT glows and vanishes??? What does that even mean? To me this is just Marvel teasing things that don't make sense and they are going to back write it.... Really wonder about Morbius. I am 60% sure it will have a spidey after credit scene. Overall 7.5/10. Can't comment on the cast really as they have all been here before. It sticks to the MCU formula and is a fun ride.

From the casting of sparkly vampire as The Batman I heard people shitting on it. I was willing to give it a chance though as "Broke Back Joker" might be the most iconic portrayal of Mr. J ever & people shit all over that until they watched the movie. Let me be honest on the whole movie, it is the most "realistic" Batman ever. He doesn't have a tank but a muscle car. He drives an old looking bike and really the only gadgets he has are a grappling gun and a big bat knife? What was that thing on his chest?? To me it is very much a well written Detective comics issue. Grim and gritty with realism. So thumbs way up for that. I want Bruce in Batman movies. Bale IMO was the best Bruce yet. His buying a hotel as models hop in a pool they weren't supposed to is a billionaire playboy. Emo Bruce I wasn't a fan. On that note we could have seen a lot more Bruce. Overall though I didn't mind this Batman. I don't see him ever having a Robin, same as the newest Joker wouldn't have a Harley but they are both grim portrayals of characters that are actually supposed to be grim. I don't like the Riddler, (friends of mine know that and used to start sentences with "riddle me this". Just to annoy me) to me he is a throw back to cheesy villains BUT this Riddler is awesome. He like everything else is dark and actually terrifying! Penguin also was great. Ya Danny in the 80s was great I admit it. For the style of movie he was in he nailed it. This Penguin is perfect as the gangster character he has become in the comics. Also the fact its Colin Farrell wow! Catwoman idk.... Don't get me wrong she did a great job I just think it was an extra storyline that maybe this movie didn't need. I forgot to start off with that, this movie was at least 30 minutes too long. I admit it has a sprawling story that changes a few times trying to figure out the Riddler and I loved that style and feel BUT it did feel too long and I think this story is part of it. Gordon was another one I liked but have a bit of beef. I much prefer the Batman Begins feel of Gordon and Batman learning to trust each other, I didn't like the fact Bats was just let onto crime scenes from the start. To me it should have been distrust right up until Bats takes on the Riddlers followers in the arena then maybe Gordon trusts him..... Least fav Alfred. I love Andy in almost every role he has done but I didn't like his Alfred. The whole relationship between Bruce and him just didn't do it for me. Alfred helps him crack riddles and Bruce does just come off as a sad emo teen to him. Also DC please get a fucking color pallet. I get the feel is supposed to be dark but a bit of colour would be nice!! The actual movie and plot I guess is next. It was great. Honestly with twists and facts from the past found out it was a well written comic. Right from that opening monologue by Bats it could have used some more action. I will give Batfleck his movies have awesome Arkham game style action. I enjoy the Riddler isn't overly shown, it does make him a lot more scary. I think we could have more sets than the iceburg lounge! Maybe I missed it or read it wrong but were they trying to make the Riddler Hush as well? Like wasn't the Elliot name in the back story there? If it was I don't like that. Hush is a villain I would love to see on screen but as Bruces equal. Not as the poor Riddler who hated society...... Not sure I like Martha being an Arkham. She could have mental health issues without being an Arkham. I do love the Waynes story though. I love they wanted to do good (they are good people) BUT some of their actions are questionable. Again to me it is the realism, people have both good and bad in them. I don't like when the Wayne family is portrayed as bad guys. I think that takes away from Batman overall, that Bruce doesn't become the Dark Knight if his family is bad BUT it is refreshing they aren't 100% saints either. NO one is. The who actually murdered the Waynes could have went on longer. Maroni had them killed..... Okay but then 2 minutes later we find out Falcone did it. I would have let that go on a bit longer, sticking with the mystery style movie. Either way I do really enjoy how this movie mixes both mafia and super villain. The whole slush fund and Falcone being the actual ruler of Gotham literally makes a great mob story. The planning and crimes of Riddler make a great super hero movie. Was I the only one who thought he figured out who Bruce was? Flat out Riddler saying Bruce over and over you gotta think he figured it out. I honestly don't get the fact he thought him and Bats would sit and watch the city flood? Also this is what I man it goes on and on too long. The whole gunmen in the arena after bombs go off seems excessive. It could have had a little bow on it at that point and been done but we get another what half hour of gunmen? The scene was cool yes but this is what I mean pick Catwoman story or more Riddler twists.... The length of this is starting to be a TV series rather than a movie. Could develop all stories more or cut some. This has gone on longer than I meant for Bats. I guess to me it is a more complete movie, Spidey might actually prove we are in a MCU hangover. Its a great movie but meh, we have seen the MCU. Anyways the ending of Batman is No Mans Land? Or it hints at it? I mean that could be really cool for this series but it almost feels like a lot could be built up before an arc like no mans land. The other thing was the most predictable ending in Arkham ever. Batman begins had an amazing ending. Gordon talks about a new guy, double homicide with a calling card. Then we get a Joker card. I literally screamed like a little girl when that happened! This time before I even saw the movie I told my wife, "Guaranteed the final scene introduces the Joker." So it wasn't the final, final scene but ya we get a Joker teaser. At that point I would rather A) A teaser for anyone else B) NOTHING They make another movie and Joker is the villain GREAT but tease someone else. This movie showed they can have more than 1 villain, so tease someone else and let Mr J actually be a surprise........ LAST thought for real. This Batman doesn't work for the DCEU, guess batfleck wins HOWEVER. Arthur Fleck could be a great Joker for this Batman. The fact is the stories run together SO well. Thomas Wayne is running for mayor. There are HUGE differences between the wealthy and the poor causing all these events. Thomas is kind of a dick in Joker movie but if you look at it from Batman lens is he? Some freak accosts him the bathroom claiming to be his son. Is he a bad guy or just creeped out, you can still even tie in Falcone. Other than Fleck MAYBE being 15 years to old, which I am sure you could somehow fix these 2 stories do work well together...... Try DCEU dark and actually have good stories? 

Oh shit I forgot about the eye cameras. OKay so he does have a bit of tech but nothing to crazy.....

Anyways thats it. 2 blockbusters and my take on them!

Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo