Skip to main content

Robert "Willie" Pickton

This entry isn't really pop culture, so sorry while I have turned over a new leaf I promise. There are still things I want / need to say. Also this one is oh 13 years behind. I started listening to a  new podcast. Canadian True Crime. (So maybe this was inspired by pop culture I guess) Anyways I had listened to one on the Black Donnelly murders, 140 years ago if you know about them. If not they are actually fairly interesting and you should look them up. I am back travelling and had enough drive time to listen to the 4 parter on Robert Pickton. The fact is I would have thought I knew about this but I really didn't pay attention to it until, well today. So 13 years behind. I am going to try and not be offensive but I do have some things to say about this crazy true crime saga that may not be the most popular to hear. I do want it to be noted this is totally based off the info from the podcast. If I am missing something, I pre apologize. In fact I do think I will try and buy a book on it. Honestly I would like to by the one Pickton wrote BUT the cowards at Amazon took it off and I imagine it is hard to find.

So I am going to start with the crimes and the man himself before I get into the politics and police and all that. Oh and I really want to point out how this goes for and against defund the police... Robbie looks like a fucking serial killer. Every description of him is bang on for a creeper! I know the police can't look into people based on that but wow if there was ever at time to base a book on its cover, this is the time. I am not going to go TOO in depth on him. If you are Canadian chances are you have heard of the pig farmer / serial killer. I would say if you are a all into true crime you have likely heard of him. He led a fucked up life, like his mom killed a kid? That's insane. I honestly don't think he is dumb at all. The flat out fact is you can't kill 49 women like he bragged about, being a dummy or can you? What I am getting at there is did he act alone? But I will get back to that point. I don't think he was dumb. In fact my thoughts are he was very clever. He was at last smart enough to know he was looked down on and thought to be dumb. So play it up! It is what his defense lawyers tried to say. Also the fact that he had money was a shock to me. I mean I don't know how much his bank actually had but it seems like he was never hurting for cash. Also things like the piggy palace was new to me. The Hells Angels connections, there was a ton more to this guy and sadly a lot that should have brought heat on him sooner and harder! So to me the man had the time and the means to kill. On top of that the fact was he wasn't brought in by amazing police work but by a man wanting to sell info on an unrelated crime that actually brought him down. Using a pig farm and a rendering plant and even selling the evidence to destroy it while sick, is hardly the acts of a dumb man. I think in fact he was very smart, his biggest issue was he was sloppy. You can see that in his appearance. Also flat out I believe he got more sloppy as time went on, when you are getting away with his crimes for possibly decades, likely you aren't nearly as careful as before you become confident. So yes I am saying he was well aware how he looked and used it, a very clever monster.

Since I got onto it I will just say I am not 100% sure he acted alone. OR more so if he did it was willingly ignored. Did his brother really have no idea? I find that hard to believe, that by no means, means he helped. How many people know someone they know, or even worse they love is doing something wrong and they let it slide out of that "love". So if you have a broken moral compass, in my mind you could legit look the other way. The sad fact is the police did. Not ignored Pickton but looked the other way OFTEN saying it was just sex workers and they likely had just moved on. Let's be honest his brother David was not a nice man and with all the shit the police found at the farm there is almost NO WAY he didn't know something was going on, but again that doesn't mean he helped in anyway. This is a reoccuring theme. A female "friend" helped him lour a hooker to the farm, saw him with her strung up dead in a barn and remained quiet. Another live in friend he actually acted out what he liked to do and again said nothing. The podcast lists at least 2 more female "friends" that helped him lure prostitutes to his farm. These people again may not have helped but I do find it hard to believe they were that  naive or plain old dumb..... The most disgusting is what actually brought him down. (I do have to give kudos to Canadian True Crime they don't paint him as a hero but a man who needed $$$) Picktons farm was raided not over these murders but over illegal guns. By a man who already suspected him in these murders but didn't lift a finger until it would help him financially. So what a half a dozen people likely knew what was going on and did nothing? Maybe they didn't help but I would say they sure aren't innocent. 

I am only going to mention the Hells Angels in passing. Trying to play that they may have committed these crimes, hard to believe. Not impossible to say 1 or 2. A disgusting little farm with some clowns for owners, why not dispose of a body or two. I strongly feel though, it wouldn't have been sex trade workers they found if that was the case. Rival gangsters, threats to their empire. Not 49 prostitutes. MAYBE one was giving them trouble and they got rid of her there. IF they controlled the sex trade, which they might but that doesn't mean by any stretch that is 49 hookers killed by a biker gang, come on. Also Pickton threaten to blow the top off the whole thing! He was going to bring down more people! Is it just me or does ever serial killer plan to do that? It seems to never pan out.... BUT then you hear of guys like Epstein and wow there is networks of sickos...... Sorry side tangent. Either way pretty sure Robert worked alone.

While I am on this rant lets talk about the defense team for a bit. To me they are almost as bad as Picktons "friends" who looked the other way. You cannot tell me you actually believe this guy was innocent. High priced lawyers willing to say whatever to try and get a monster off. How do you sleep at night? To me a defense lawyer has to be a bit loose with morals. I am sure many of them have defend and won when maybe they didn't actually think the person was innocent. This one though, sorry I don't think you should have touched it with a 10ft pole. Its one thing (MAYBE) if you have suspicions on your client to sleep at night, but with bodies in freezers WTF! Clearly you know he is a monster but you still want to defend him?

VPD. I will be 100% honest, I both support you and I get the rage against you. I am going to start with the rage. The ball was dropped BIG TIME. Just on the fact you had an up and coming profiler who was getting worldwide media attention tell you there was a killer and you said nah. You actually had a half naked bleeding woman say she was attacked by Pickton. Still nah. Sky rocketing numbers of women vanishing for decades. Nah. Edmonton has / has? the same issue. Or for a bit there women were being found killed and it was a big deal. They were announcing we had a serial killer, they arrested Thomas Svekla. The point is the EPS didn't look away. Yes we had bodies and you didn't but that many missing people, come on! Many and various people approached the VPD and none felt heard. Boy did that blow up in your face. VPD you dropped the ball, there is no two ways about it. Now my defense. These people are drug addicted and living transient lifestyles. This does not devalue them however it does change how they can be found. Ya I will flat out say it a suburban house wife goes missing and it is a big deal. She lives by a routine and chances are she wont deviate from it. When people don't have fixed addresses or job and come and go as they please outside societies accepted norms it becomes much harder to find them. In fact when the reward went up a couple missing women were found alive. The simple fact is these people live outside the norms and the police know it. It is much harder to find them and sometime they actually are just on a "bender" of drugs or alcohol. NO this doesn't mean they should be ignored, the VPD should have looked into it much better however they are doing themselves no favors living said lifestyle. Stereotypes while not nice do often stem from truth. These people live outside the laws and the police are busy trying to help people living within the laws. Also the distrust (Maybe it was earned) of these victims and their friends of the police doesn't help. A podcast can paint people however they want but if people are not forth coming and helpful to the police how are the  police supposed to do their job? If you are making it harder for the police to do their job, ya chances are they will move onto someone helping them get their job done. Hell if your honest you probably do that at your ow job. Get the easy stuff done, then the harder. Do the roughest last. Its human nature. So while I get it might not be right and yes they did drop the ball you can't 100% put it on VPD. Help me Help you.....

Lets talk defund the police. Funny this is something people are talking about now and I can really tie it to the VPD and the Pickton case. Defund is dumb in my mind, I have said that already. The fact is between the investigation and trial MILLIONS were spent to bring Pickton in. You want to take away from that? The fact is, you do that he might still be out there butchering women. I realize that defund doesn't for the most part abolish police (Except for a few real dumbasses) but this is one example of how doing that would be a major mistake! I get it, they don't need the money to become a small army BUT they do require money to stop men like Robert. The fact is taking away from the police and giving money to social programs is not going to help or stop HIM at all. He is a prime example of why the police should not be defunded. However.... The argument for defund could also be used in this case. IF money was put into social work, rehab and such maybe Vancouver would not have such a terrible lower east side? Possibly that clean up would have made it much harder for Pickton to have so many victims? I do feel for people who don't have a fair shake at life. It might not have come off from earlier paragraphs but its true. I am well aware I have been extremely lucky and people have always helped me when I need it. A good portion of Picktons victims do not seem to have had that. They were let fall through the cracks in society. I get that this is what defund is supposed to be about. Filling those cracks so people do not slip through them. So this case really shows the pros and cons of that foolish movement.  

This whole thing was brought on by a podcast. So I will have to say thank you to Canadian True Crime podcast. Check out her twitter @CanadianTCpod I have found them on Spotify and Podbean. Check them out if you like true crime. Also before I publish this one I do have to add a couple things that show has inspired. Kelly Marie Ellard is a crazy bitch. I wouldn't trust her ever. The Canadian Not Criminally Responsible NCR ruling is a rough pill to swallow. I am going off the Brentwood 5. Matthew de Grood, was crazy. The doctors all seem to agree on that. Same as Vince Li. I am honest, if someone had hurt someone I love the way those 2 did I would feel the same as the victims families. Hell I don't think I would take it even that well. However as a third party I do understand. I mean NCR may need an overhaul. Like I think those guys should be monitored FOREVER and breaking any conditions should result in them locked up again but the truth is it doesn't make sense to keep them locked up if they are no longer a danger. Would you want you loved one locked away forever? The thing is the criminal code is for justice not revenge. Yes I freely admit that is why I could never be a fair judge but that is the sad and true fact. Lastly WTF was that with Karla Homolka??? This bitch should be rotting! I am never going to go along with her being a victim. She should have dangerous offender status as well. Not be free with a new family.....


Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo