Skip to main content

Witcher Netflix

I said I was doing less blogging and it would be more pointed and not until 2020. This one is more pointed at least. Not just the scribbles in my head. It might not be 2020 when I am starting this, I am starting it Dec 24th..... Also I shouldn't have to say this but since it is a review SPOILERS ahead! However I am editing now January 3rd, so I imagine if you haven't seen it. You probably aren't about to.

It is the of course on the Witcher. You should have known I would have to blog on that on, if you have followed any writing I have done. Years ago like 2015 / 2016 The Programmer was telling me PLAY THE WITCHER, it is up your alley you will love it! I ignored him, I shouldn't have, by the time I played the Witcher 3, the hype had died down, so maybe 2017 I first started it. I put over 180 hours in and loved every minute. There honestly isn't many games nearly as good. The game play is great. The graphics years later, are still good and the main thing the story is awesome. Maybe I am a nerd but I got invested in the characters. When Vesemir dies, it is tragic. When you finally hug Ciri in that cabin, it is just one of those moments that hits you right in the feels. Let's be honest VIDEO GAMES SHOULDN'T have the power to do that! But this one does, I think because of the writing. So I picked up the books.....

I liked them, wanna know a secret why? They really are an easy read. Unlike Lord of the Rings, which can be "wordsy" or Game of Thrones "boring" they are quick and easy. Almost like a kids book but with adult materials. Yes like most good fantasy, it should come with a map and a break down of who all these people are so you can try and remember them but it is lighter reading. The first two short story books are actually are great way to get to know the characters. And the fact is season 1 of Witcher seems to be based on them. The Ciri saga is amazing as well. I am going to flat out say it, you should read the books before the games It will make a lot of things make more sense. BUT you don't have to. It isn't like you wont understand, it just kinda brings it all together.

This blog was not to be about how awesome the books and games are though...

The series is finally out! I have been waiting since they announced it to watch it!! I can be honest I failed to binge it all the first night. IN fact I watched most of it 3 days later and finished it the next night. So ya I failed lol. However I can review it now. Lets just start with casting. I had doubts about superman being Geralt and the teaser from a few months back looked awful. Then I saw the stills of Yenn and Ciri and though, awful! But I was wrong. Henry nails Geralt. Freya is a great Ciri and Anya nails Yenn. Even background characters like Cahir are perfect. My only issue, yes likely the same one so many people have. Triss.... I am not a fan of changing already created characters to make a more diverse cast. But it happens, okay I guess I can live with it. NOT with HER!! She is a huge character. Like it is a love triangle with a red head! (In the game to be fair. But that is what most people recognize.)  Hell she was in playboy over in Europe as a red head so WHY oh WHY did we change her? Go online, fan boys everywhere are debating Triss or Yenn. Almost as bad as girls were with Edward and Jacob back in the day! Jacob all the way BTW but that's not the point. Triss should have deep red hair!  That's my only beef, with casting. Now I would like to know who is going to play other characters later on. Like Charles Dance would be great for the emperor. He voiced him already but I think he might be to old. Saw someone posted Luke Evans for emperor, that would be good.... Flip side, I like only semi famous actors instead of trying to use star power to get viewers. I also wanna see who is Vesimer, Regis, and on and on, I could list a million people I want to see who they cast.

The action is great, from the very first fight it is well done. I mean it would have to be to make the show a success. It is a very bloody story. I will admit I thought Sodden was a bit weak. I was waiting for an epic battle, but maybe it wasn't in the budget. I am wondering about the monsters, will they continue to show them and try and make better ones? Or will it go like the walking dead where zombies don't even seem to matter. (Yes I realize in both shows "people" are the real monsters.) I guess what I am saying is, it is visually pleasing. I am kinda shocked by the amount of nudity. IF it was HBO I wouldn't be but I didn't know Netflix would do that.

I have to comment on Toss a coin to your Witcher. Maybe I need to rewatch the series. I don't get the popularity of this song. Maybe it is just a nerd thing, I am not sure but to me it isn't amazing and doesn't need meme after meme. Don't get me wrong some covers are great and the song itself isn't bad but wow like soooo much of it!

But to be fair I can't sit here and gush on how great it is, without bringing up the problem I have heard from lots of people. The timeline...... It jumps all over. I am going to say having read the books, it doesn't bug me. I understand what is happening when. Others I have sat down and talk to about the show, not so much. Like I know you shouldn't have to do it, if it was just a single time shift. Say now and then, but this one is like now, then, more then, more than then, and so on. It could have used some sort of time marker. Also, the law of surprise could have been a bit better explained and I would have liked to see a Witcher made. The trial of grasses and so on.... Maybe they will get back to that but it would have explained why he is so much better than an average Joe. Along with that the conjunction of spheres... Like the opening video to Witcher 3 explains so much, this show could have used it.

Also Jaskier confuses the hell out of me, this is in the books, games and T.V. How old is he? Like say for fun he is 20 when he goes with Geralt to Cintra and ends up tied to Ciri. Well then if she is 12 when Cintra burns, that makes him 32? (Likely spoilers ahead.... Like for more seasons) Ciri is 14 when she leaves to Artuza. So Jaskier is 34 fine. I assume the series won't follow the game but say Ciri is 25 by Witcher 3 that would make him 45 at least! IN Witcher 3 I don't picture him that old. That was pure speculation as I was, pretty sure Jaskier isn't just 20 when Ciri is conceived. The way I read it, he is at least mid 20 to 30. But either way Jaskier isn't a Witcher, a sorceress, an elf or a dwarf. So what is his life span? Sorry I just have that beef, he seems to have been around as long as Geralt but that should make him an OLD man.....

So that was just a little rant, that took much longer than I thought it would. 8/10 for the Witcher, at least season one for me. I mean it was missing a couple things, or so I thought. Overall though it was well done.. With a ton of rich source material this could be a mega hit for Netflix. If you liked Game of Thrones (No it isn't the exact same, more fantasy here) Check it out, or hell if you like good fantasy in general.


Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo