Skip to main content

What's Up April?

I really need to stop blogging in the AM. It is supposed to be for "real" writing. But I am so bad at editing I have been avoiding doing it like the plague. HOWEVER for really real, I am gonna start, tomorrow... I am so closed to finish, then I need another person to edit. Plus I am insecure about it. Surprised I can admit that, I reread and even wonder if it is good. I hit parts I really like and parts I personally think aren't so what do I do? Last year around this time I was writing for Fan Side Seats. Google it, its an alright little web page. But it was changing direction and I am not in that direction. If you know anyone who needs a pop culture writer, let me know!!!

It is kinda funny really. I moved here to write in 2000. As of this summer that will literally be half my life now spend here and never been a writer. 19 years in my hometown, being a dumb kid and 19 years now here. I think I am feeling old when I say that. I now how coworkers the same age as I was when I moved here. Look back a few blogs, I did an autobiography section. It has been a pretty decent adventure but wow 19 years.....

It is a brave new world in Alberta this week. Jason Kenney won, I knew he would. Or figured he would. Not because he really is what anyone wants but because people just didn't want the NDP. It is kind of scary here actually. The Liberal party leader often seemed to be the most sensible and well spoken leader but just because of the party name he was for sure out. The Alberta party got 10% of the popular vote but not a single seat. I was surprised I did believe Derek Fildebrandt would at least win his seat for FCP but nope. It is all NDP vs UCP now. I would say that is a statement as to how divided this province really is. I don't see that changing anytime soon. Honestly I didn't like anyone. I would have been more inclined to vote UCP had Kenney not been around. Honestly over the next 4 years I hope to see common sense return, but I doubt it. The fact is oil is great, we need it but we need to diversify as well. UCP banks simply on oil.... I like the NDP social stances but the financial aspects don't seem to add up. Maybe if the two parties had a baby..... Although it would have been a wasted 4 years, I would have liked to see a UCP minority. It might have actually led to something good. Then all the shit I don't like about them likely would have been voted down & if the other party (Well parties, in a better future) actually wanted to help Alberta they would all be forced to work together. Maybe if forced together they could work, maybe not but we will never know.

My last thoughts on that is quit whining. Within hours I saw social media explode that Alberta was fucked. Same as I saw 4 years ago when the NDP won. The world did not end then, it won't now. We live in a democracy. The people spoke and we have a new government, sorry if it isn't the one you would have picked. In 4 years if they do a shit job, it can be changed. All these people saying they are moving now.... Okay bye! I had a tantrum 4 years ago, but survived you people will to. I finished a blog about being white, male and middle class but have yet to post it. I am sure it will come off as racist. So maybe I will wait a couple weeks. The reason for not posting it, it might come off as racist. In fact it likely will because people are now thinking racists are going to come out of the woodwork. There is a chance the worst will feel a bit emboldened, UCP winning however hardly makes Alberta a homophobic, racist place.....

Started men's league ball hockey again. Been a few years and trust me I could tell!! Hoping I improve over the next few weeks. When my tax cheque gets here I think I might use part of it to get a good stick. The amazing thing is late night games are great for my blood sugars. I dunno if it is the not snacking or the movement at night but the next AM my blood is at the levels doctors would not call me diabetic. Some things remain the same though, I am not nearly the best and our team is currently 0 - 3.  But I play for fun, really hate people who take it too serious. We all have jobs the next day, this isn't the NHL. This is making me think a hockey blog needs to be done again, kinda an annual thing....

Some things are wrapping up. Game of Thrones final season started. I am so sad there are only 4 episodes left. The more I think about it, even when seasons got slow this is probably the best or at least top 3 things ever on T.V. The thing that worries me, nothing is ever happy. So I am thinking even though there will be a few good things that the end will have some brutal Red Wedding style things as well. Personally I think me and a billion others want Jon on the throne. Which is quite the journey, considering the first few season I literally hated that story line and thought he was boring. Still not a Dany fan, I called at least one more major betrayal after last week, I think it will be her. Not sure how but Jon and the North need to watch their backs.

BBQ season is upon us, I have 2 full tanks and by George (Whoever he is) I am going to do some grilling this year!

End Game "wraps" up this part of the MCU. I don't know what to say. I mean first, I have tickets Friday so I am crazy pumped but what comes next? Are they going to kill off characters? If so how do they replace and move on?? Like ya the MCU is great and all the movies are fun but it does revolve around Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Hulk..... You can't really lose them. Good as Black Panther, Ant Man or Dr. Strange are I don't see the massive success of the MCU with them at the helm. But they do own the mutants now to, so the possibilities are endless. I will give 2 weeks before my review of End Game is out.

NHL playoffs have started. I blogged on that, some are very wrong so far some are fairly true. I thought Tampa would win, I thought Blue Jackets would give them a good fight and I did say they could win it but I didn't see that coming the way it did or the Avs or the Isles.... I am still calling Blues and Caps though.

I need to talk about the Sri Lankan attacks that happened over Easter. Minutes after the ChristChurch shootings, racism and Islamaphobia was all I had on my timeline. It went as far as people saying Andy Scheer was a bad man who supported hate. As a white middle class male with a restricted firearms license, I COULD BE THE NEXT SHOOTER! And that's how it played out for days. Now in one of the worst terror attacks ever people are shying away from who perpetrated it? As of this AM everything thing says Islamic terrorists. I guess ISIS claimed it was even them (Guess Donnie didn't destroy them all, trumptards that's an FYI) That would fall nicely into the other blog I am working on. It is a huge double standard. People will go out of their way to avoid blaming Islamic extremists for the evil they do. Why?? We are happy to jump all over sexual abuse in the Catholic Church (Don't misjudge that, that is some sick shit that should be called out) Or try and demand an apology from the pope for crime committed against Native Canadians done way before his time. Yet when it comes to any another religion, it is something else. Rebel Media has blocked me, so I have no idea BUT I am willing to bet this is something they aren't shying away from. I can't stand chicken lil media but in this instance I am betting they are close to the truth. (Because it does support their narratives. Not because of any real journalism) My point is simple, not every white person is racist. Not every Muslim is a terrorist. It is zealots on both ends that fuck it up for everyone. So just call a spade a spade, but for both groups. 

I did not get all the skiing in I wanted to this year. But I can't blame anyone except myself. And the fact it is getting crazy $$$ to go for a weekend. I mean 2 night hotels, driving to and from Jasper. 1 nice meal out after a day of skiing, couple breakfasts and lift tickets for two your looking easily at $750. I wanted to book a room in the summer and get out there but that's even crazier! So my goal is simple, get lots of fishing in this summer. I mean I might have to learn to filet better but I do very much want to get out! And golf, hope to get a few rounds in. Wanting to be out though I guess goes hand in hand with my garden. I was so proud I dug one out last year. Got dirt in and built it up. It failed miserably! The ground seemed too packed, so this year I plan to water more and mix in a ton of peat moss. Wish me luck. We have a beauty of a backyard so I want to spend more time in it!

Yelawolf was here and I missed him, again. That sucks, he was on the list I tweeted a few months back saying 5 groups I would love to see this year. I am going to my first country concert this fall. Well I guess not really first, but first BIG one in Rogers. I personally wonder if there will be as many pairs of daisy dukes plus brand new shit kickers and unworn cowboy hats? People make me laugh... Being an "artist" must be hard. Women literally throwing themselves at you, money pouring in. My wife bought me the Dirt and we watched it on Netflix. That is a prime example of what I mean. That was some crazy shit. Honestly who wouldn't wanna be twenty and be Tommy Lee in that movie?? Also how are some of these guys still alive???

Also for the millionith time I am sure I would like to say music has gone downhill! I listen to the radio for a few hours this weekend and realized 90% of music is a decade or older. To get real good country it is even older than that. I recently purchased the Forrest Gump soundtrack. It has to be one of the better CDs I have purchased in  along time and it is all decades old! People please step up your game. I am gonna say late 60s / 70s and 2000s late 90s best time for music.....

That's all though. I have to quit typing this, I need to work on real writing like I said I would. So ya just some random April thoughts.


Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo