Skip to main content

Banff

SO my fiance won an award for her schooling in insurance. 2 years worth of work and she is top student in Alberta and was less than a percentage point from top in Canada. That's pretty sweet and she is getting an award at the Banff Springs. SO we decided to make it into a three day weekend. It feels like a betrayal to say this but I love Banff! I cant ever really remember being here before. Like I know and love Jasper but this was kinda my first time to Banff. I have stopped for lunch here and we spent a weekend in the Fairmont BUT I have never seen and done the town... So here is what I think of it.

(If you yelp you can looked me up as Tavis P from St. Albert for some more reviews of places)

We took the back roads through Olds and down Highway 1A. If I had the Harley I dream of this would be a sweet ride. If it was summer it would have been better to, but all in all except for the impatience assholes it was a nice drive. Our hotel the Best Western is on the edge of the city. Just past Bumpers, which is sketchy looking (I think my brother stays there when he comes to party) but I was surprised. First like a lot of places it has underground parking which is super smart. It has a rustic looking entrance. But the big surprise was our room....

Take a look at that tub!! King sized bed, plus the bathroom actually has a full tub and shower so this one is simply for watching the Caps come back and beat the Pens or whatever you might wanna do.

But anyways, soon as we got settled we went for a walk. It only took a few minutes to the "strip?" Sorry Jasper but they got you beat. They is a crazy amount of bars, restaurants and shops. The one thing that sucks, that is the same as Jasper is if you go in one shop you seen them all. The fact was we were hungry as all hell so we stopped in at The Maple Leaf. This place is sweet. They tried to make it outdoorsy. They did a decent job, it doesn't look tacky. Lets say a trapper cabin sheik?? The calamari while really good was small so we had 2 orders. My Cesar was good and spicy and both our wines were good. I had the wild game burger, it was the shit. Maybe my favorite burger ever. Her chicken burger was also really good but kinda small. Either way it is a good place to eat.

Then we wandered. The candy shop, is amazing but stupid busy. Like we didn't even buy anything cause the line up wrapped around the store. I was too stuffed but the ice cream and fudge stores smells draw you in. The last place we stopped was the Indian Trading Post. Totally unrelated and I wont go on a tangent but never change! I do not want the Politically Correct to ever change this store. I may go back for a ring or a bracelet. I really wanted a tomahawk but was advised against it. Another store that is pretty sweet is the year round Xmas store. We bought tree ornaments for each other, we do every year even if this is super early lol. I was tired, so we went back to the room. I ended the night watching my Caps remember they are a beast of a hockey team and defeated the shitty Penguins!! It was a great day.

But going to bed much to early had me up at 7. Which wasn't bad, this place has a free breakfast. Not just cold cereal and muffins but eggs, bacon, potatoes the works. Which was good cause we planned on doing things. First we headed up to The Banff Springs Hotel. I think this place is like Rogers Arena, a licence to print money! The rates are crazy even to park for an hour but the place is kinda worth it... It is amazing, the history, the beauty it is frickin nice. We wandered the over priced shops, all in all it is amazing. We couldn't go into the indoor outdoor pool but I really wanted to!

Then to Tunnel mountain. I am gonna say, not impressed with the campground. Like the view is amazing! But no firepits? And sites one on top of each other isn't what I think of as camping. But we could stop at a few places for photos. We drove down to Bow Falls,it is nice even if they are pretty small. Made me laugh a million tourists with selfie sticks (Yes we took a seflie but I refuse to buy a damn stick for it!) Then we went to the gondola. I always thought I would love a helicopter ride hanging out the side like an Apache.... Maybe not, I was freakin out on the way up. It isn't bad on the tree line but when you are way above really tall trees it gets scary! The view is worth it though.

This pic does not do it justice. But it is dang high! I will say it is more for the kids though. It has neat "stations" I guess to learn stuff but more I think for kids. We had a drink and soup at Sky Bistro which was also great before returning to the safety of land. Then we headed to Cave & Basin. This place was super neat, for the history. First national park, magical healing waters. Some snail that makes it illegal to swim in.... The cave is very pretty, even if it stinks! It does look like something out of a movie. The Basin is meh, I mean it kinda just stinks and is shallow. But I am glad it was free, I don't think I would want to pay much as I really don't think it would take to long to see the whole thing. Then we parked the car at the hotel and walked downtown.

This time we waited in line in candy store, it was a bit shorter and got a few gifts. We went to Park Distillery for supper. First off the "liquor flight" was awesome. The calamari again was amazing and the pasta was really good to. I didn't think fried Brussels sprouts mixed with ravioli would be good but it was great!!  I wish we had been there for a tour but we were too late for that. Again after that we went early to the room. I again sat in the tub and watched the hockey game Oil embarrassed the Ducks! I am starting to think as long as I am in the magic tub my teams will win!! Read and watched TV until bed.

Last day we were up early again. Started this blog and did some yelping. Then we went for another great breakfast. I guess it was only minus 2 when we left for a morning walk. Nothing was open yet! It was 9 like wtf! And I guess hotel coffee goes right through me but in a touristy place at least there is lotsa public washrooms. We hiked all the way to the Falls, which really isn't that far. Took a bunch more pics and came back. Stopped at Park for a baileys and coffee. Did feel a bit bad cause we took the nice outside seat but weren't really eating.... Few hours to chill, do some reading, writing and relaxing since we actually had been on the go for the last couple days.

SO after reading, writing and relaxing in the giant tub it was time to shave shower and head to the Gala. The cab ride was actually only 10 bucks across the whole city, wish Edmonton was the same. Anyways the Springs is amazing. We had a champagne toast before diner. The service was great, the wait staff never let your cup get empty. Then came the dinner. The good, it was fucking great!! Ravioli appies, short ribs and potatoes for supper. It was perfect, and then the bad. 4 bites.... Seriously I ate it in 4 bites, I could have had all 8 plates they brought for our whole table. The cash bar was a bit $$$$. But they did use Wybrowa Vodka. I do like that one. We left around ten. Here is the thing, you could wander for hours! We ended up in a few different lounges / rooms? That had giant chairs and looked like an old school smoking room. I freakin love this hotel. The problem was we ended up hopelessly lost. We ended up wandering across the parking lot to find a cab. The secret tunnels I was looking for between buildings did not pan out.


So that's it, my Banff vacation. I have to say I thought I was a super loyal Jasper guy but I really did enjoy Banff. For the 4 hour drive to either Banff or Jasper I might have to chose Banff..... I mean $ wise Jasper is more bang for the buck BUT Banff does have a lot going for it!!  (PS Every hockey game went the way I wanted it to while I was there. I am home now and if hockey goes wrong I am moving back!)

Comments

Most Viewed Posts

Edmonton / Highway of Tears

This was going to be a small paragraph in a bigger random blog but it grew really fast and the fact is I thought it was rather interesting so it will be post of its own. I decided to add some of these womens names. I once heard a pod about Jack the Rippers victims, that humanized them. I think thats what should be done, why glorify freak shows and forget about the people who suffered because of them. Also I added a bit more as I was just going to, just quickly mention Edmonton but I think it is bigger than that. Also still cannot find a legit decent looking charity to donate to for MMIWG.... Msg me if you know one! IS there a serial killer in Edmonton? Or was there one active? On another long drive home I came across podcasts on EPS, which led to pods on what they called the Edmonton - Leduc murders. Which if you have been around Edmonton for awhile I know you have heard of. I just was unaware of the amount and length of time this had been going on. First thing though not all these mur

Alberta Politics Pre 2019 election

Ahh that lovely time every few years when we see the worst in all people is upon us! That's right elections are coming! The brutal truth is both federally and provincially we are going to see shit get nasty. From both sides, let's not pretend anyone is innocent. This is all I am going to say on politics for awhile, at least until elections OR if something crazy happens. I really need to concentrate on actual writing. Not twitter bickering with people. So here is it my thoughts on the current federal and provincial politics. (Breaking this into 2 parts. This one is going to be just media and Alberta) First let's start with the sideliners. The media and the peanut gallery. Rebel Media OR Chicken little media. Whichever you want to call them is fine by me. It has been years now I was blocked for using common sense or not drinking the Kool-aid by Ezzie and the Rebel account. I can say I never dropped into name calling or anything like that with either, but I guess not believi

Part 3 Addiction

So, I have stated first, we need the correct systems in place, and second, we need healthy citizens for a better society. One of the root problems in society, though, is addiction. A mental health problem that can lead to so much more. Family violence, crime, homelessness, job loss, and on and on. There is no cure for addiction. There is management, and there are many things we can do much better to help addicts and society. So, let's tackle this one next.  I like drinking! I like the taste of a good whiskey or red wine. Or the supposed "no taste" of good vodka. I like that little boost of confidence that tells me, hell ya, you can dance! Or the fact that, yes, after a long day, it does take an edge off. I have a ton of great memories of times when booze was around... The flip side of that is I'm not too fond of hangovers. I hate not knowing what happened the night before; I guess there is a term for this now: hangxiety. Some of my worst memories and things I hate abo